The Discovered Treasure Chest Dilemma.

erato_

Soooo, I'm probably not the only one here who always doubts whether or not to open a Discovered Treasure Chest from the Forgotten Shore.
I keep thinking I may finally have some luck, but always end up with worthless items.
What do you guys think is most profitable; sell the Chests or open them at the chance of gaining an expensive item?

I've sold all of mine. If someone did the calculations and showed that the odds of getting an expensive item beat the NP you'd get from selling them all, I'd reconsider. But I did an experiment on scratchcards. I had hoarded all my non-base level ones to scratch for levels when I got close to leveling up, and i tracked my results with each one compared to their SW price. I found that the SW price beat the rewards, and the rarer the card, the more it did. People tend to remember their wins from things like this, as rare as they are (compounded by the fact that others only gloat about their wins and don't tend to say "I opened a such-and-such and it was full of junk"), and don't remember all the losses, so they overestimate their odds of winning. Thus, they're willing to pay more for the item than it's actually worth.

This might not be true for the discovered chest, of course, but since it's held true for every other chance item I've tested it on (I also tested it on certain goodie bags, etc.), and the theory is based on known psychological biases, I'm not willing to lose NP testing it for the chest. If people pooled their resources, we might be able to figure out the probabilities, but we'd probably need to open at least 1000 chests to get the variability low enough to have a reasonable estimate. And that's a lot of NP to spend on a test.

Some people like to take the risk, thinking they'll be luckier than average. But only half the people are, and in the long run, everyone moves closer to the average. So I'd rather just get myself the guaranteed, predictable NP from selling. In the long term, I win out.

(Even if you get it for free, there's still the opportunity cost of opening vs. selling -- if you open it, you lose out on the opportunity to sell it for its going price. Of course, you can view it as a game, and consider the price difference the cost of playing. As I said, some people like to take the risk, just as some people like to play the lottery or spin the wheels.)

I've only ever gotten two or three chests from the Forgotten Shore and I opened all of them, based on the idea that it was free anyway. But I think siniri's explanation just changed my mind about opening them ever again. Never thought about economics and opportunity cost at all hahaha.

I too usually open them since they are free =) but maybe selling is more profitable. I just like the adrenaline rush when you finally do get something good =)

I have been selling mine as well, but I was going to try my luck and the very first and only one I have opened was a pirate kacheek morphing potion! That was super exciting for me, as I haven't had much luck lately :laughingsmiley: :laughingsmiley:

• 1 month later...

I feel inclined to believe that Siniri hit the nail on the head! :P

I think I opened about two of them and then realised it was improbable that I would manage to get any good prizes out of them. Now whenever I find one, I just sell them for around 17k. That's more than enough to buy 1000 stocks for the day, so even if there was a slight chance of winning grand prizes I would much rather guarantee a profit. As someone who only buys stocks out of nps on hand(just so I know that my bank balance can and will only increase) it's actually pretty handy to have that small profit from the chests every now and then.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to really struggle with this and think of the lost NP if I opened a chest and got a junk item. And then I realized Neopets is a game! Open them! Who cares!? So now I always open and never feel regret. Since the summer I have been really lucky and received three morphing potions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Oh man! I didn't even know you could open them! Silly me, I have been selling. What are the expensive prizes you can win?

I know your response is old (nov 2013) but I just came across it by trying to decide if I should open the 9 chests I have in my SDB. Anyway, if you didn't know you could open them, what did you think people were paying thousands of NPs for? LOL.

I know your response is old (nov 2013) but I just came across it by trying to decide if I should open the 9 chests I have in my SDB. Anyway, if you didn't know you could open them, what did you think people were paying thousands of NPs for? LOL.

Haha I had no idea! I actually did open a few back then and managed to get a pirate poogle morphing potion ;)

I haven't gotten any from the shore since though.

I would probably always open them just because I pray I'll be lucky to find something rare! I used to get them before my hiatus but I haven't gotten one since. *Fingers crossed* Mostly I want the avatar.