Draiks vs. Krawks

Novelista

...and drawks versus kraiks...hee hee...

I'm not sure why, but after all these years, it's starting to make me wonder...what's "better"/"more important", krawks or draiks?

Once upon a time, I used to think that having a draik was a sort of a status symbol, like "Look at me! I have a rare pet!" But then I started seeing more krawks and I started wondering which really was the status symbol. Of course, with the Forgotten Shore giving out draik eggs and krawk morphing potions, things changed quite a bit.

Looking at the issue from a financial standpoint, the pirate draik egg is about 1.7m on the TP and the pirate krawk morphing potion is in the 300k range. (The krawk petpet is about 9m, just for a conversation point.) So if the issue was purely showing yourself off financially, the answer would clearly be "draik".

I never intended this to be a major debate issue, but it just may turn out as such. Good thing there's a debate forum...

I think if you want to really show off your financial status you'll have a Krawk petpet. :P

As far as the actual pets, I think Draiks are still looked at with a high regard, even though the FS has made getting them easier.

Of course, I own both a Krawk and a Draik on my main so I'm have the best of both worlds. :)

Oh my...krawks aren't even very cute, are they? (I'm starting to look at colors to see if I wanted both, a la Noog.)

If I get a draik, I would probably paint it shadow...just for the interest of conversation. ;)

I find this debate very interesting! In my honest opinion, I've always found both pets ugly. BUT, having a Draik seems to be a status symbol, yes, much like having an iPhone vs having some other smartphone.

So yes, I think many people only have Draiks as a status symbol (though I know many other people really like them too! ;) )

I don't really like either species, and I don't think I'd ever own them. Draiks improved a lot after the conversion (body wise), but they still have a weird expression on their faces, which I don't like at all. I like Krawks a little better, but not enough to get one for myself. I remember wanting a Faerie Krawk, but that was before the conversion... They had a better pose and their snouts didn't flare so much.

By the way, the smartphone thing was a pretty neat comparison! haha

I never really liked Krawks , except for the awesome super amazing one of a kind UC Tyrannian Krawk .. but getting one is nearly impossible now ... so ... moving on ...

I have a Draik. I bought her egg when it was about 3 Mil on the TP. I've never really cared for having a Draik before the Forgotten Shore started giving them out, but then I thought .. why not !!? Draiks are cool .. and they're nice to customize ... and it's not about financial status anymore ... and even if they are increasing in numbers ... they're still not mainstream yet ... and it is still quite a challenge to get one ...

I love Stealthy Draiks as well... I was having a crisis over whether to paint my future Draik Stealthy or Wraith, and then I discovered you can crosspaint :D

I like the sound of that. The Lady Draik Knight items would look so good with that. If I didn't already favor Draiks over Krawks, that idea would definitely sway me to the Draik side.

Doesn't it depend on the type of draik or krawk? I mean a stealthy draik v.s. a wraith krawk, etc.? I guess they are worth whatever you can get for them.

Personally, I'm not excited about either one. I won a PDE from the FS so I thought "oh what the heck" and hatched it. A few months later I got a FFQ and decided to paint it faerie. It was nice but I wasn't thrilled with it (I'm not much on its face either). However I REALLY wanted a skunk wocky!!! So I adopted a blue wocky, saved up for a PB and she's now my lovely skunk wocky! In the meantime I managed to get all the pieces to the lab map so I decided to trade the draik for a lab rat. Well the person who got the draik gave me an eventide krawk. Talk about an ugly color. It looks like someone rolled the rainbow PB in the mud. Anyway, I zapped him and eventually he turned wraith. There went my lab rat! I could have continued to zap him but I felt guilty because there were so many people on the boards who wanted one so I offered him up and traded him for a striped zafara (who is now Halloween!). I like her better but I'm still going to zap her (unless she turns into another desirable pet and then I'll trade her again). I guess my point is that get what you really like and not something just because it's worth more. If a draik or krawk are really someone's thing, then great. If it's a skunk wocky or a Christmas Kougra - even better! :laughingsmiley:

...gave me an eventide krawk. Talk about an ugly color. It looks like someone rolled the rainbow PB in the mud.

I don't like the eventide design either. The colors themselves are really pretty, but the cut-paste gradient of the paint brush just makes it look... lazy, and not good on a lot of pets. The only pets I think look passable with eventide are Koi and Lutari.

And as to your first question... I think, yeah, it depends on the color, but I think Stealthy and Wraith Draiks both look better than Stealthy and Wraith Krawks - in my opinion, of course. I'm not a huge Camo Krawk fan either, except I picked my customization first then found the color that looks best with it.

So, after watching thread updates pour into my mailbox the last few days, I finally decided to splurge on an egg, rather than wait until I have enough NP to buy a draik MP and change Koschei Master (on my side) from a shadow Kacheek to a draik (of whatever color) and then on to a shadow draik.

I now have Lord Koschei on my main, until which time I can secure a shadow brush and send him off to my side.

(In case you're wondering what's with all this "Koschei" business, that's one theoretical name for The Master of Doctor Who fame.) (Which entirely makes sense, given that Koschei is an antagonist in Slavic folklore who is extremely difficult to kill. Remind anyone of anything? ;))

I'm not really interested in having a draik or a krawk and it would take forever to even get a draik egg if they sell for over a million neopoints but it does seem like to me draiks and the draik petpet are like a status symbol of sorts to show that you acquired so many neopoints and that you could afford to get them and even though draiks and krawks are becoming more common i hardly see them and i never really got a morphing potion from the forgotten shore so i on't know if that's going to lead to more krawks or draiks since it seems you have to be really lucky to find one.

... there's a reason why Krawks kept getting the Wooden Spoon award for a period of time lol

Keep the number tightly controlled, hype about it every now and then, and soon it'll be highly coverted, regardless of its look and what not. Pretty much like those limited edition products.

Some of the Draik lovers here have really gorgeous customizations with lots of thoughts in them so I'm more partial to Draiks. But I like the whole package/look more than the species itself. If it were up to me to choose, I'd pick neither.

As for status symbol, I notice that unconverted pets have been the trend for the recent years. In particular are those that are excellently named in a high tier.

I remember someone saying this about the UC: they won't be released anymore and there is no way of obtaining them unless you trade for them or get an extremely lucky break. I suppose status symbols share a common characteristic: rarity.

... there's a reason why Krawks kept getting the Wooden Spoon award for a period of time lol

Keep the number tightly controlled, hype about it every now and then, and soon it'll be highly coverted, regardless of its look and what not. Pretty much like those limited edition products.

Now that's something that's been baffling me for a while. I always had the impression Draiks were rarer! Well, maybe Krawks are outnumbered for the simple fact that people seem to prefer Draiks...

I, personally, don't care about either. I once got a Pirate Krawk MP from the Shore. I created a WN pet, morphed it, and offered to trade it for a Cybunny (my ONE TRUE PASSION <3). Got a Darigan Cy, by the way, and I'm much happier with him than I could ever be with a Pirate Krawk. :P

Now that's something that's been baffling me for a while. I always had the impression Draiks were rarer! Well, maybe Krawks are outnumbered for the simple fact that people seem to prefer Draiks...

I, personally, don't care about either. I once got a Pirate Krawk MP from the Shore. I created a WN pet, morphed it, and offered to trade it for a Cybunny (my ONE TRUE PASSION <3). Got a Darigan Cy, by the way, and I'm much happier with him than I could ever be with a Pirate Krawk. :P

Those were the pre-Draik days though TNT seems to like to play the game when limited edition pets were released.

That's the pet trade alternative way that people have been going to get their desired pets.

The Shore has been deflating the value of Krawks & Draiks so trading-wise, people have been upping their offers of both species with unlimited customs.