Hey, everyone!

So I was reading the "What are you listening to right now" board and it made me think of something I have been meaning to ask...anyone :P

And that is.... have you misheard the lyrics to a song before? Did it change the meaning of the song (for better or worse), was it funny? Do you like your version better? :P Or do you sometimes change the lyrics on purpose?

I've done it all haha

When I heard Daft Punk's "Get Lucky", I heard:

Woke up with a Mexican

instead of...

We're up all night to get (sung in the robot voice)

Now all I hear is:
We're up all Mexican

So....what have you misheard? :P

It's not just you with that Daft Punk song... I also think the robot voice is saying "we're up all Mexican lucky" (or "we'll rob a Mexican latte")!

When I was really little, I misheard the lyrics to Rockin' around the Christmas Tree. There is a line that goes "you will get a sentimental feeling", but I didn't know the word "sentimental" at the time... I thought that they were saying "a Santa mantel feeling". You know, like Santa comes down the chimney and puts gifts in the stockings on the mantel... :rolleyes_anim:

I am interested in languages and the perception of sounds so I'm a big fan of misheard lyrics, especially the youtube videos where they intentionally mishear the lyrics of songs in other languages as if they were English words... :whistle:

Swedish song "Caramelldansen":

Dance on me horse, clap and eat a handbag

Yours, only yours, I roll this pickle downstairs

You smell like bees around crowd sayin'

"Look out behind me! caramel dancing"

I've misheard many a song lyric. A couple notable examples are from Lady Gaga:

Poker Face. There's a bit where it sounds like -insert expletive starting with 6th letter of the alphabet here- her face. But it's really saying "P-Poker Face"

Born this way. Instead of "Same DNA" at the end. I kept hearing "Safety".

Oh my goodness...I've heard so many lyrics wrong, it's not even funny.

Probably the most embarrassing was when I was a little kid. There's a song called "Lay Lady, Lay" by Bob Dylan. Only, being Bob (and saying it so fast) that to my childish ears, it sounded like (oh dear...this is going to be fun trying to spell this) "Layleleelang". (So what I heard was: "Layleleelang...lay across my big brass bed...")

My parents caught me out because I tried to use it playing Hangman at a restaurant once. :*

Oh, darn. *snaps her fingers* I researched that one, hoping to embarrass you by saying that "I Missed Again" was released the year I was born. *evil grin*

However, Google tells me it was released five years before, in 1981.

Aw, that's all right! If you're as old as I think you are, you're close in age to a former babysitter of mine who is now my friend/mentor. (I'm an only child, so sometimes it's nice to have an older sister sort. ^_^)

For years, I watched CSI: NY and thought that The Who was singing about eel fishing. The song, "Baba O' Reilly" really goes: "Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals, I get my back into my living." I swear it sounds to me like: "Out here in the fields, a boat full of eels, I get my bucket to my limit." *LOL* How warped is that?

Not me, but a friend recently interpreted Fire Burning by Sean Kingston as "Somebody call 911/Shawty found a band-aid on the dance floor."

When I was really little, I misheard the lyrics to Rockin' around the Christmas Tree. There is a line that goes "you will get a sentimental feeling", but I didn't know the word "sentimental" at the time... I thought that they were saying "a Santa mantel feeling". You know, like Santa comes down the chimney and puts gifts in the stockings on the mantel... :rolleyes_anim:

Ditto! Your interpretation actually makes sense though; I just simply had no idea what they were saying. :laughingsmiley:

I'm glad I'm not the only one hearing Mexicans! ;p

It didn't start as misheard...but the more I listen to the Cups song by Anna Kendrick the more "you're gonna miss me by my talk - oh" seems to sound like "you're gonna miss me by my taco"

I hear "taco", too! LOL That's why I never sing it as "talk - oh"

I'm pretty sure you can make anything up with Bob Dylan! haha

No worries, my friends and I are in our 20s and we like Phil Collins :) Tho' Im sure the reason for one of them is because he was a part of the Tarzan soundtrack

These are all hilarious! :) I wish I could remember some songs I misheard.

Well, this one isn't funny, but in "Song of the Sirens" i heard "Were you here when I was lost" instead of "were you hare when I was fox?"

As for foreign language...there was a Japanese song I heard years ago... I swear all I heard were Spanish curse words in every other line haha I wish I could remember what song it was but I was never able to find it again

Hahahaha, this post actually makes me happy! I though mishearing lyrics and stuff was something that only happened with non-Native speakers of said language, but I see lots of native English-speakers here! I feel better about my own mistakes now :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ozSeGw-fY - "I'm living on such sweet derping." It makes me enjoy the song so much more now.

Rihanna's 'Monster' - "I'm friends with the mustard that's under my bed."

Daft Punk's 'Get Lucky - "We rob a Mexican"

Aand of course this one. It's supposed to be the word 'danger' that keeps getting repeated throughout the remix, but all I can hear is "FACEBOOK FACEBOOK, FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjD7I59deY

I can't remember the song that I misheard once I think it was Don't Stop Beliving by Journey but I was a little kid so I can't remember the title but me and my cousin were listening to the song on the radio and then he started singing and he sung "We're living on a rainbow" it made me laugh so hard and another one was Micheal Jackon's Smooth Criminal I thought one of the lyrics was "Do you want cake Annie" now I can't take that song seriously anymore or listen to it without laughina a bit.

The most embarrassing one was where I was a little kid and didn't really had the lyrics wrong but didn't know what it meant either. My brother and me would just sing along with the radio and we never knew why my uncle was laughing at us... It was a song from Mousse T with duo Hot 'n' Juicy back in 1998 I think...

Another one I am mishearing the lyrics from is "Rock the casbah" I just always mishear it, but I can't type here what I hear (It's not "Lock the taskbar" but it might become that now :p) :X

There's probably a lot more, but I can't really remember at the moment.