Well, that was annoying. (Neopets filter)

thatlauralass

It's probably a topic much discussed already, but after diluting and editing a neomail for 10 solid minutes just to find out the word "skill" was triggering the filter, well needless to say I cried a little. xD

Has this ever happened to anyone else? What innocent words did you discover triggered the filter?

And when was the last time it happened?

lol those filters can be a royal pain! I remember a while ago writing a neomail and thinking that there was nothing wrong with my message. Took quite a bit of trial and error and finally narrowing it down to the word "Uncle". Figured it out by trying to send a separate neomail with just the word "Uncle" in it. I thought it was a bizarre word for the filters to block, since they allow aunt and other family member titles. I was so annoyed after that!!

I hardly ever use neomail anymore after getting the avatar. The filters are just annoying and frustrating.

There is an easy way to find out what word is disrupting the filter. Copy and paste your message onto a blank petpage and there will be a little blue Chia who will tell you what word is not allowed.

---------------------

Edit: for those of you who don't know how to copy paste your message to a petpage, here's how.

1. Click on "My Account" on the top bar

2. One of the links says "Edit Pet Page;" click on it

3. Pick a pet and click the "Edit" button under their name

4. Put your curser in the text box and delete all the text (CTRL A, then press the backspace button)

5. paste your text into the box

6. Press the "preview changes" button on the bottom of the page

Oh my goodness...I never thought about copypasta-ing to a blank (or even in-use) petpage! I can't tell you how many times I've edited and edited and never figured out what the problem was! Thank you, Bright!

(The last major problem was when I was trying to tell OhGodKillIt that I liked her username when we first met. I'm sure you can see the problem!)

I think her account is about eight years old, so that may make a difference.

But yes, it was infuriating. Instead of asking what it was that she wanted killed, I finally had to go with "eliminated". :laughingsmiley:

I normally crtl+A and crtl+c
just in case it's gonna tell me there's an error and i can't go back to it.. D:
I was talking about meatballs earlier and yeah. balls wasn't allowed :(

Pretty frustrating when its just the normal words too.. sigh.

I just started a thread on this topic, oops. This is the message I was banned from sending today...

""Hey that was a great game, my internet connection + being on a laptop makes minigames hard for me though! haha. If you wanna add me go right head and we'll play more games. Hopefully your skill will rub off on me.""

Probably because of "rub off"? I dunno.

I have had problems with the filters as well but I can't remember my specific examples. But "death" isn't allowed either. Ha

But I have came to the conclusion that in order to send a neomail, you have to use "big" words that make you sound like you are a stuck up genius. Lol. ladies and gentleman, grab your thesaurus to send a neomail!

"Big words". *nods* As someone who has had to use "eliminate" in place of "kill", I could get behind that. ;)

But I recommend thesaurus.com over the physical book--it has space for a lot more options and tells you the words that are most commonly used to replace the one you're searching.

"Kill", for example, is higher rated than "rub out". Plus, you can sort by length and complexity, which is always fun. :D ("Eliminate" isn't even on that list! *gasp*)

So, now I am having this issue. I tried the pet page thing and it let me create a pet page with my neomail! But it won't let me send it? Now I am at a loss for words! :/

My neomail:

1) Slug & Jiggers Apothecary
2) (by the way, did you know there is a polyjuice potion that we can actually drink? :]) a. boomslang skin b. leeches c. fluxweed d. lacewing flies
3) Aging Potion, they became older. But they drank too much and became really old.
4) Paris. That's tough... hmm.. Demi Lovato.
5) He got it for brewing the best Draught of Living _____ (it won't let me send it with that word) potion. Used the potion to get a memory from Horace Slughorn.
any ideas what is messing with the filter? I already took the word "death" out.
found it! my friend just received a ton of neomails that have one word in them! ha .
it was the word fluxweed. *weed is the problem.
so i did fluxw.e.e.d. and it sent it
Edited by laceew45

Skill! That's the word that had me frustrated! I couldn't remember since it's been over a year... but I had a neomail and I replaced every single word one by one until I found it. I was so upset. What do you replace skill with?! Then I had to restructure the whole neomail just to please the silly censor. Thanks for helping me remember. Now I can finally complain about it properly! xD

Is there a list somewhere that has all the banned words?

yesterday I was trying to describe what happened to my account.... after 3-4 tries, I rewrote my 2 paragraphs into 2 detail-less sentences... x.x'

So no... I never figured out what was the "triggering" word :/

cant neopets have fun with it... like with "underesti-fish-ing"

• 3 weeks later...