Feels Risky

Novelista

I just now read the instructions and realized that I forgot to provide my computer/OS information last time. Oops!

So:

• HP Pavilion G6 (manufactured in 2012)
  • Windows 7, SP1

...and I think that was it.

===

AVG offered me one of those programs that can detect and update your drivers, but--of course--it cost something, so I went looking on my own.

I found a free one and it says I have twelve drivers to update. I could create a restore point and go for it, but

1. I can't figure out how to make a RP on 7 (had it over a year and haven't needed to restore).
  2. I'm afraid I'll mess something up major and not even be able to get back to use the RP.

If it's not affecting the operation of my computer, do I really need to update my drivers?

I personally don't update drivers unless something stops working, so I wouldn't say it's necessary.

However, you do seem to be tech-y enough to know what you're doing. If you see any drivers on the list and think it will be beneficial, then I say go ahead and update it. I'm pretty sure you won't mess up anything that won't allow you to do a system restore (if anything does go wrong).

In Windows 7, you can create a restore point by going to:

1) Control Panel

2) System and Security

3) System

4) System Protection (on the left side menu) > at the very bottom it says "Create a restore point right now..." click "Create"

I personally don't update drivers unless something stops working, so I wouldn't say it's necessary.

There it is, then.

Yeah, I'm usually pretty good with installing/uninstalling, etc., but drivers are important and I don't want to mess with them unless it's something uber important (and none of these seem to be). I'll never forget when I was in junior high...I got rid of what I thought was extraneous folders and it was like I wiped the hard drive.

On the other hand, I know what to do if I ever have a cheating boyfriend! (Of course, I'd have to bother to date, first. *laughs*)

For drivers, I highly suggest to check for updates via Windows Update instead. Any critical driver updates will be listed there. There's no need to download any app to check for drivers if there's nothing wrong.

As jcpet said, if it's working, it's not broken which means it doesn't need a fix. I use a macbook pro, and you know apple products, update after update and it just won't stop. I generally realised over time that you don't need to update it if its working good, because sometimes the drivers will be too advanced for your old computer and makes things slow and what not. (: