I've recently started wanting to paint my Shoyru grey, but there's no way I'd be able to get the NP to get the brush... I've been trying to save up for the Lab Ray Map, but I've been spending all my NP on wearables impulsively... I'm just frustrated that the prices for everything I want for my dreamie are out of reach. :angry:

... sorry for the rant LOL

Unfortunately unless you hit it big somewhere (like a game jackpot etc) or in stocks, you'll have to save up. I'm bad about that as well. I usually set a goal (say a mil in bank) then will go on a mini splurge once I hit it then set another goal. Best I've done was 6mil in bank I think but I went overboard with non sense and am back to practically nothing. Saving is all well and good but you gotta have fun with it too or it's not worth it. I don't understand the players who just hoard tens of millions of np and don't customize their pets or set up great bd sets or anything. What do they do with it? Just watch the interest go up I guess... how boring.

While it's true you will have to cut some of your spending habits a little bit, it doesn't hurt to look at cheaper solutions for now. For instance, Skunk or Silver Shoyru Morphing Potions or the silver paint brush are all less than 200k. I think it could be a nice alternative for now since the hues are similar to grey. It won't have the sad look though.

Just keep in mind that even those of us who are "rich" today started just liked you. With hard to reach goals. And there was even less way to make quick Neopoints back in the days. Unless you really liked to play flash games for hours.

Today you can run your Habitarium, play Key Quest, earn NP and items from the Battledome, etc etc. Also don't forget to do your dailies (especially the free or cheap ones since you are broke) and to invest in the stock market every day.

Good luck with your goal! It's what makes Neopets fun in my opinion!

What I usually do is set goals, like Nubisbully. I allow myself little shopping sprees whenever I reach a goal.
The only difference in what I do is that I don't allow myself to go under 250k's. For example: I have nearly 5mil and 700k in my bank account now. That means I can't go below 5mil 500k anymore, and as soon as I reach 5mil 750 I can't go below that amount, etc etc.
It might seem a bit silly, but it's really helped me to save up.
Sorry for my lousy explanation, I hope you get what I mean anyway :')

I got all of my painted pets from the pound apart from my baby bruce which cost me 600k. My Shoyru used to be a biscuit chomby but I bought a morphing potion for 99k to turn him rainbow. I know how you feel though, I'm poor too :(