If a price falls in the trading post and no one lists it...

funkasarusrex

I'm hunting a decently-priced blumaroo morphing potion. I don't even care which one at this point, I have the pb I want to use on it. As far as I can tell, the cheapest one is the Christmas one (as usual), but all the offers on the TP want TP price. But what is the TP price if nobody's listing one?

So here's my question: How do you determine what the TP price is when nobody lists one?

Even Jellyneo's current price listing is based solely on one trade which was up last week. That's it. Eurgh.

If they're not listing prices, then offer what you like. However, make sure it's fair: if jellyneo says it recently was 200k, then it wouldn't be fair to offer under 100k, for example.

Try offering 150k to start. It's highly likely that someone will accept if you neomail them with that price. If it's rejected by everyone, try 175k.

Generally, I would look at jellyneo's price history to make your decision on where to start. See how long ago it was. Then you can offer based on that--but ultimately, the price is whatever you offer that the person is willing to accept. It's really up to the seller to decide.

I was wondering the same thing, I was searching for some morphing potions like you, different species though, and was to the point of pulling my hair out x_@

I settled for an Eyrie Trans for ~200k >.> waiting to use it until my (unnamed) alt account gets the packrat avatar.

I tried neo[Removed], but none of the prices on these morphing potions haven't been updated since 2009.

I've been offering a lower price (-150k), but rejections all around. I guess I'll just have to get back to stalking Kauvara again.

I'm so tempted to try to game the system this way- if the current TP price is based on what one person was asking (regardless of what people really want for it), you could totally use it to drive prices wherever you wanted them to be. Blast, these uncommon items with little demand. It's so much harder to gauge what's going on!

Best way is to go directly to the source and ask. As it has been said, they are ultimately the decider when it comes to how much it takes to get them to depart with an item. I'd find a few lots with the potion and neomail the user what you believe to be a fair offer, or ask what they would consider instead. You can haggle this way instead of being rejected multiple times.

I also find it handy to contact the person setting up the lot so you aren't wasting your time putting an offer on something that wouldn't be accepted no matter what.

Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering how to deal with this for years.

I think it would be nice if it was required to post an asking price for teach item as part of setting up the offer. That way, it makes it easier on the buyer, which would make it easier on the seller. No more people constantly asking you how much you want for item X. I would go further and have some sort of symbol or label or something that shows that you are willing (or not) to haggle. That would be really convenient for those who want one price and that's final. Haggling won't even be allowed and it will go straight to a dialogue that says "Do you want Item X for ### NP? Yes or no."

On the customer's side of the equation: think of what it would be like if you went to a store and there were no price tags anywhere and you had to go to the cashier with every single item and have them tell you the price. I wouldn't shop there, would you? If you go to a seller and can immediately see that something is a fair price, you can just go and buy it. Same thing if it's out of your price range. You don't waste your time there and go look elsewhere.

On the other hand.... some people want to trade items instead. Hmmm. It is a Trading Post, after all. Tough question. <_<

I agree. I love that the TP gives you a way to haggle- I just bought some lab map pieces with a mix of codestones and np, saving me the hassle of converting my KQ prizes into nps and then sending them forward. I just wish everybody wasn't so lazy about it. All I want is a baseline, something to gauge my offer on rather than wasting my time making offers which will never be accepted because you didn't tell me what you were looking for in the first place.

I guess an easy solution would be if TNT raised the price limit on shops/ the shop wiz- does anybody know why that exists?

:offtopic: Every time I see this post title I think of "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there..." lol

This post has been edited by a member of staff (N. Prime) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please refrain from posting off topic as it doesn't contribute to the conversation. This topic is for talking about unlisted prices at the Trading Post.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 6 months later...

This really annoys me as well. How hard is it to put a 'looking for about X np' in your wishlist?

A while ago I had a fairly valuable HTS item I was trying to sell, but no-one had a price on it. I (politely) neomailed some of them asking what kind of price they were looking at but they all replied along the lines of 'what do you think it's worth?'

My broke newbie daughter won a morphing potion in a random event a little while back and it didn't interest her, so she put it on the Trading Post. What she was really interested in was a particular paintbrush. For some reason, the little box that lets you put your wishlist in was just missing. Completely missing. So, she couldn't put in what she wanted. I don't know what the problem was, because I was creating trades at the same time and my wishlist box was there. To make matters worse, because of her age, I haven't enabled neomail, so nobody would have been able to contact her to ask what she wanted. (Would the lack of a wishlist box have anything to do with her age??)

Luckily, some lovely person out there bid on it and offered a few items including a paintbrush that wasn't her first choice but was one she did like, so she accepted the trade. It's not like either of us actually knew what her potion was really worth, so the fact that the trade pleased her was enough.

My point is, although I'm sure that there are a bunch of people out there who, very frustratingly, don't put a price on their trades, there are also the odd person or two who are frustrated by not being able to put in a wishlist of what they want.