Reporting posts: does it really help the mods?

leverhelven

...Or is it more of a nuisance?

I'm pretty active here on TDNF and I often see posts that break rules (having less than 7 words, double-posts etc) that haven't been edited by Mods yet. They're often light mistakes (like the ones I mentioned before), nothing spectacularly serious.

So I wonder: does it help to report those posts, or is it just a nuisance to Mods getting reports over such light infringements? I really don't want to be the annoying user, ha :P

Thanks!

i suspect that a factor is the nature of the offense (or at least it is on other forums) - for example, while i understand having a 7 word minimum, i do think that when the 6 words are actually an intelligent response, that reporting is somewhat misplaced (since, as i understand it, the rule is intended to avoid meaningless or spammy replies).

Nope, any post under 6 posts gets a little warning on it :) Regardless of whether it's reported or one of us catches it. (We have rules set for a reason, just because it is an "intelligent" response, doesn't mean it didn't break a rule!) We like to make sure everyone is engaging in the conversation and not just leaving a passing comment.

Anyway, I have to agree with Ruto, reporting posts (even a LOT of reports) generally makes us mods very happy. We all go through the forums anyway, but getting pointed in the right direction makes our job much, much easier. It also helps members avoid what we call "Backseat Moderating" in which they try to point out a rule break in a post - mods are here for a reason, so report the post and let us handle it ;)

• 2 months later...

It does help the mods, if it did not it would not exist

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie).
The original topic is now answered and will be closed.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Spritzie if you have any questions regarding this action.