Virtupets Take The Cup By Storm

xblade356

862.png

Hello and welcome everybody! This is Matt reporting from the newsroom! The first day of the Altador Cup has concluded and I have the official results with me right now. We first look to the Alabriss Bracket to find out the first results of the day.

Moltara was able to best Lost Desert in a close game of Yooyuball, and their success on the field propelled the Magmas to cheer at record breaking levels, landing a victory in Make Some Noise as well. The Magmas weren’t able to hold off the Mummies completely however, as the Mummies scored goals and slung slushies ferociously, taking victories in the remaining two side games.

Roo Island fought valiantly to maintain their status as a top tier team, but to no avail; the Kreludor Moons steamrolled them in today's match-up. The Moons are off to a great start this year - if they can maintain this level of play, they’ll be sure to see the podium. However, this is only the first day of the competition, and since this is the Altador Cup, many unexpected things are bound to happen!

KI DefenderElon Hughlis The two nautical teams in the Alabriss bracket went fin to stern today, neither team willing to concede an inch. Although the rowdy Pirates were able to squeak out a win in Make Some Noise, the rest of the games ended in a draw. I managed to sneak in a few quick questions with team captain Elon “The Black Hole” Hughlis of Maraqua. Let’s see what he had to say about his team’s performance today!

Mr. Hughlis! Matt, Altador Cup reporter for The Daily Neopets. Would you mind answering a few questions?

Sure. I have some time before our night practice begins.

Great! What are your thoughts on today’s match against Krawk Island? Are you satisfied with the results?

To be honest with you, I would’ve been happier with higher numbers. But I’m satisfied nonetheless. Today shows that we have what it takes to compete with the top tier teams, and that we can hold our own against them. Krawk Island is a fierce opponent and I’m glad that we were able to tie with them.

Honest words spoken by an honest person! What are your plans going into today’s match against Lost Desert?

To play like we always do!

You heard it here first! Now we’ll go to Lydia over in the Colosseum for the results of the Minitheus Bracket!

"Thanks, Matt! It's good to be back in the field, even if I'm mostly looking for our missing reporter. The results of the first day have created quite the stir, with the second-most talked-about thing being the reintroduction of draws into the system. There was a huge outcry last year when they were removed, particularly when overtime was introduced to eliminate the draws.

But that wasn't the thing that really had the stands rumbling. That honor goes to the first match of the Minitheus Bracket, Virtupets versus Shenkuu. In a surprising turn of events, Virtupets swept Shenkuu by a wide margin. Both are former top-tier teams, and neither had fared well under the bracket system. However, the former champions seem to have found their feet once again and have surprised fans and rivals alike. The Robots have made a bold statement and will definitely be the team to follow this year.

Clockwork Yooyu Meridell Flag For the second matchup of the Minitheus Bracket, we had long-time rivals Darigan Citadel and Meridell going head to head on the opening day. The teams proved to be fairly evenly matched, with Yooyuball ending in one of the first draws in two years. However, the Knights managed a solid win both in Slushie Slinger and in Shootout Showdown, for which they were well known last year.

For the last match of the Minitheus bracket, another pair of rivals faced off, with Faerieland and Altador going head to head. In a dramatic change of pace from last year, the Faeries swept the Suns in a series of close matches. Altador is certainly the subject of much scrutiny and speculation after their abrupt rise to second last year.

Minitheus is a bracket AND a petpet With its rivals, powerhouses - both expected and unexpected - and former top-tier teams, the Minitheus Bracket is definitely one to watch. I'm back on the hunt for Austin - hopefully I'll run into him soon!"

SLUSHIIIES Thanks, Lydia. If I get any information on his whereabouts I’ll be sure to let you know! For now, let’s go to the Vaeolus Bracket, where we saw two mid-tier teams go head to head against each other. Both Haunted Woods and Kiko Lake have consistently hovered in the middle tiers for the last few years. The Kikos managed a victory in Yooyuball, while Haunted Woods was able to take Slushie Slinger and Make Some Noise. Shootout Showdown ended in a draw as neither team was able to gain the upper hand.

The Brightvale Wizards pulled off some serious magic today, completely side-sweeping the Terror Mountain Chillers. But the Chillers held their own on the main field, resulting in a tight Yooyuball draw.

Lorchye In today's star match, the Tyrannian Dinos faced off the Mystery Island Natives. Tyrannia almost completely dominated the field, taking a win in Yooyuball and Make Some Noise. Mystery Island was left scrambling to recover, eventually pulling a draw in Slushie Slinger and a close win in Shootout Showdown. Tyrannia doesn’t seem to be too badly affected by the “winner’s curse” so far, but time will tell!

Shenkuu and Faerieland will definitely be an interesting one to watch today. Both teams fared equally well in all events, so it’s a toss-up as to which one will come out on top. This concludes our first day report! The search for Austin will continue. This is Matt, signing off. We’ll see you tomorrow, everyone!

news-image-ac-vii-event-season-2012-blur

Obligatory disclaimer: This news report was written to inform you all of the latest Altador Cup results in as entertaining a manner as possible. The rest of its content is largely fictional, composed from various fan comments and the whims of our imagination in an attempt to inspire a sense of realism through our reporting. While we do our best to keep things reasonably neutral, this report is in no way intended to be a completely bias-free listing of the day's results, nor does it claim to provide critical analysis of past and potential outcomes from qualified Altador Cup experts. Please note that the opinions formulated in this report are from a full team of different reporters, and in no way represent the views of only a single faction. If you're looking for 100% unbiased performance data, take a look at our standings page. If professional analysis tickles your fancy, you want our predictions pages (global/daily).