FIFA World Cup 2014

leverhelven

THEY HAVE A SONG ABOUT THAT?! Please, please, share it with us!!! :D

Well, I'll just have to kick Argentina in the patootie right now and say that Pelé has never played while on drugs... Maradona, on the other hand... :sick02:

I support Argentina... Ha, I get lots of comments from Brazilians about it. I doubt we will win the cup (though that would be fantastic and I would dye my hair blue.) At first I thought Germany would take home the cup this year, but now I have no idea. :sad01_anim:

Croatia smashed Cameroon, but what I enjoyed the most in this match was the Croatian goalkeeper's super-fashion violet uniform. :D

I was crossing all my crossables for a tie, but alas, I kinda knew it wasn't realistic to expect that.

Also BFF application reviewed and ACCEPTED. You get my random addictions to anything and everything that gets my adrenaline going (YES I WAS TRYING TO MAKE A LUAN SANTANA PUN BUT I COULDN'T SO THAT'S THE BEST I GOT)

*moonwalks the ai se eu te pego out of the room*

So I was at my cousin's engagement party and I missed the two games today !

Apparently Holland struggled to beat Australia and Spain crashed and burned in front of the red hot CHILE peppers !!!!

Chile is awesome! They were partying like there was no tomorrow here in Rio. And I totally get them!!! Eliminating the current World's Best is a BIG DEAL!! :D

I was crossing all my crossables for a tie, but alas, I kinda knew it wasn't realistic to expect that.

Also BFF application reviewed and ACCEPTED. You get my random addictions to anything and everything that gets my adrenaline going (YES I WAS TRYING TO MAKE A LUAN SANTANA PUN BUT I COULDN'T SO THAT'S THE BEST I GOT)

*moonwalks the ai se eu te pego out of the room*

OH-EM-GEE. I can't even... Wow :D :D :D You're just too awesome, kaybee!! And oh my, the Ai Se Eu Te Pego curse is still alive!! GAAAHHHH :P :P

Hey, now that Croatia has smashed Cameroon, what exactly has to happen next for both Mexico and Brazil to get into the next phase? Anyone knows? I'm kinda lost now...

According to http://www.uefa.com/worldcup/season=2014/standings/

Mexico and Brazil have 4 points and Croatia 3, while Cameroon is at 0. We're still missing Cameroon vs Brazil and Mexico vs Croatia (oh god)

I'd say it's pretty certain Brazil will qualify since they can probably at the very least tie Cameroon (and I'm forecasting a win). It's really a toss-up between Mexico and Croatia right now, though. A tie or Croatian loss will put Mexico through, but if we lose then Croatia goes through.

Brb gonna go light a candle to St. Memo Ochoa.

And OMG the Ai si eu te pego thing...I live in the US and have a few Brazilian friends so I listened to it from December 2011 onwards. As soon as the craze there died down, I came to Mexico in May 2012 and...yes, it was still a thing here. AHHHH.

EDITED TO ADD

Group B right now is 1. Netherlands 2. Chile. So Brazil right now is guaranteed to play either of them - most likely Chile, but could be Netherlands if Mexico wins by a big goal difference. If Croatia wins Brazil is def. playing Chile.

Edited by kaybee92

EDITED TO ADD

Group B right now is 1. Netherlands 2. Chile. So Brazil right now is guaranteed to play either of them - most likely Chile, but could be Netherlands if Mexico wins by a big goal difference. If Croatia wins Brazil is def. playing Chile.

My oh my, I wish we play Chile. Holland has elliminated us last cup and I definitely don't want that happening again! :O

Also, on Uruguay's victory over England (and also on Spain's and Portugal's elimination): IMPERIALISTS GO HOME! TRY AND COLONIZE US NOW!

:P

Haha. San Iker is still my patron saint of goalkeeping but with Spain officially out, I will have to burn candles for San Memo! Spain's gone and without Mexico or Argentina, I'd be out of teams to root for! My only safest bet right now is Argentina.

Interesting how the colonizers are getting eliminated now. Though Netherlands is still alive, as are the US, France and Portugal, which I don't expect to qualify if Ronaldo doesn't pull through for his team. Portugal's not gonna make it if the team keeps depending on him! I predict Netherlands vs. Germany in the finals with a Germany win.

And I was also reading this article on why Memo was picked for goalie in the game. He made sure Mexico's defense was impenetrable in general. It's impressive to know that they haven't conceded a single goal in this tournament. If all it takes for Mexico to advance is a draw or win over Croatia, expect to see Mexico qualify! :D It's a real shame they had two points wrongly taken away from them. I feel like they've been timid in attacking 'cause they're wary of going offside.

Argentina has advanced to the Round of 16 but I'm gonna need them to step their game up! :|

Ahhhhh, I'm so nervous for Mexico vs. Croatia. ;-;

Don't even get me starteddd D:

I might get the gf to watch it with me. Watch me be dumped after screaming like a lunatic for 90 minutes.

Wait... Mexico x Croatia will be at the same time of Brazil x Camaroon

The third (and final) round of the Group Stage is always played at the same time to prevent foul play like what happened in 1982 when W.Germany and Austria conspired against Algeria ... Algeria had beaten W.Germany 2 - 1 in a huge shocker but lost to Austria 0-2 ... in the final match they beat Chile 3 - 2 (who had lost to both W.Germany and Austria as well and had 0 points) ... As Algeria played that final match the day before West Germany met Austria, the two European teams knew what result they needed in order to qualify for the next round. A German win by one or two goals would see both West Germany and Austria qualify. A larger West German victory, by three goals or more, would see West Germany and Algeria qualify while a draw or an Austrian win would eliminate the Germans.

After 10 minutes, W.Germany succeeded in scoring a goal. After the goal was scored, the game seemed to halt .... as the team in possession of the ball often passed between themselves in their own half until an opposition player came into the vicinity of the ball. The ball was then passed back to the goalkeeper. Isolated long balls were played into the opposition's half, with little consequence. For the next 80 minutes there were few serious attempts on goal. The only Austrian player who seemed to make any effort at livening the game up was Walter Schachner, though he had little success. The match ended 1 - 0 and both W.Germany and Austria qualified to the second round.

The final group standings were as follows (note : back then a win would award 2 points only , a draw 1 point , and a loss 0 points)

W.Germany : 4 Points .. Goal Difference +3

Austria : 4 Points .. Goal Difference +2

Algeria : 4 Points .. Goal Difference 0

Chile : 0 Points .. Goal Difference -5

After that scandal , FIFA changed its rules and now the 4 teams in the same group play their final matches in the same time.

The third (and final) round of the Group Stage is always played at the same time to prevent foul play like what happened in 1982 when W.Germany and Austria conspired against Algeria ... Algeria had beaten W.Germany 2 - 1 in a huge shocker but lost to Austria 0-2 ... in the final match they beat Chile 3 - 2 (who had lost to both W.Germany and Austria as well and had 0 points) ... As Algeria played that final match the day before West Germany met Austria, the two European teams knew what result they needed in order to qualify for the next round. A German win by one or two goals would see both West Germany and Austria qualify. A larger West German victory, by three goals or more, would see West Germany and Algeria qualify while a draw or an Austrian win would eliminate the Germans.

After 10 minutes, W.Germany succeeded in scoring a goal. After the goal was scored, the game seemed to halt .... as the team in possession of the ball often passed between themselves in their own half until an opposition player came into the vicinity of the ball. The ball was then passed back to the goalkeeper. Isolated long balls were played into the opposition's half, with little consequence. For the next 80 minutes there were few serious attempts on goal. The only Austrian player who seemed to make any effort at livening the game up was Walter Schachner, though he had little success. The match ended 1 - 0 and both W.Germany and Austria qualified to the second round.

The final group standings were as follows (note : back then a win would award 2 points only , a draw 1 point , and a loss 0 points)

W.Germany : 4 Points .. Goal Difference +3

Austria : 4 Points .. Goal Difference +2

Algeria : 4 Points .. Goal Difference 0

Chile : 0 Points .. Goal Difference -5

After that scandal , FIFA changed its rules and now the 4 teams in the same group play their final matches in the same time.

Gash, the downsides of being a Historian... I knew all of that, technically speaking. But I would never relate it to the reason for FIFA changing the rules! I get too focused on historical aspects only... Well done, sir! :)

Btw, I wasn't watching Mexico, but as we played we were being informed of their perfomance... what's with Mexico suddenly scoring goal after goal? Must have been fantastic to watch! For a minute there you could have become 1st of the group! :D

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS GREECE!!!!! :D :D :D

2-1!!!! THIS IS AMAZING. FIRST TIME IN SWEET 16! ;-)

so happy!

ΠΑΜΕ ΕΛΛΑΔΑ! ΠΑΜΕ ΝΑ ΚΕΡΔΙΣΟΥΜΕ ΤΟ ΜΟΥΝΤΙΑΛ.