Am I my Brother's Keeper?

Snowbell

What is our responsibility to each other as human beings?

Do you agree that we are out brother's keeper?

Meaning: You have a responsibility to care for your fellow man. Are we only supposed to care for ourselves, or are we supposed to care for eachother?

you mean as in the book "My sister's keeper?" sad book :(

can you elaborate on the matter? I feel like this may be a subject I'm unfamiliar with :p lol

or do you mean just in general what our purpose is when it comes to the well being of society?

Just in general, should we lookout for eachtother or is it every man for himself?

you mean as in the book "My sister's keeper?" sad book :(

can you elaborate on the matter? I feel like this may be a subject I'm unfamiliar with :P lol

or do you mean just in general what our purpose is when it comes to the well being of society?

I think it's too cruel to think that it's every man for himself. Also too capitalistic in my humble revolutionary opinion, lol :P

I believe we should care for one another. Heck, even animals do it. It's the least we can do to be humane.

Guest Sabs

It would be nice if everyone could be their "brother's keeper". Sadly, it's not the reality of this world. A lot of bad things happen, and some people will just watch and let it happen. This reminds me of a TV show called, "What would you do?". They have hidden cameras and act out horrible real life scenarios to see how the public would react, and if anyone would actually help.

I mean scientifically we're programmed to stick together. Biologically we're engineered to keep the race alive so that means not only looking out for ourselves but also others. I mean there's a lot of hate in the world, don't get me wrong. People break into groups and there's power struggles and such. But as a whole, in our species, we obviously want to be the dominant life form.

just from a science standpoint..I think unity is key for the success of our species

Also sometimes we have to take care of ourselves first in order to care for someone else..so they can go hand in hand.

I think this article published by scientific american is really interesting

Come Together: Our Need to Cooperate

there's a lot of cool studies about synchronization, pretty fascinating!

I think we should care about every living breathing thing to the best of our abilities.

The world would be such a better place if we would stop trying to find reasons to hate each other.

Just be realistic and look at it if the roles were reversed:

How would it feel if no one stopped for you while you crossed the street? If you were drowning in a pool, how would it be if no one jumped in? If you were hurt on the side of the road, no one would stop to look?

I think it's pretty easy to answer your question after that. The world is bad enough without everyone being selfish jerks :P

Some people asked where the phrase came from. It's from Genesis 4:9. Here it is in context (Genesis 4:8-9):

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

As a Christian, my answer is "yes," but I'm not always good about living it out.

Some people asked where the phrase came from. It's from Genesis 4:9. Here it is in context (Genesis 4:8-9):

I had no idea the phrase was connected to the story of cain and abel. I mostly know of the story from my art history courses, but it really makes you think of the question from a moral standpoint

thanks for sharing :)

I think that as a whole, we should look after each other, however, individually, we should give a little push to those having a hard time pushing themselves. Compassion is a major quality (albeit lacking quality) in humanity nowadays, but it's the times we come together to comfort and uplift one another that we, as a whole, seem strongest.

Shelley's answer is basically what I would have said. Scientifically, we ARE programmed to stick together, otherwise, empathy and compassion wouldn't be as dominant in our psyche. I believe that as humans with feelings, we ARE obligated to look after each other.

As for a literal answer to your question, in my case, I am my brother's keeper. I'm his sole legal guardian, and have been since he was very, very young. He turns 18 this year, but I'm in "parent mode" until then.

• 2 months later...

I think we should care about every living breathing thing to the best of our abilities.

The world would be such a better place if we would stop trying to find reasons to hate each other.

Just be realistic and look at it if the roles were reversed:

How would it feel if no one stopped for you while you crossed the street? If you were drowning in a pool, how would it be if no one jumped in? If you were hurt on the side of the road, no one would stop to look?

I think it's pretty easy to answer your question after that. The world is bad enough without everyone being selfish jerks :P

Agreed. I feel like we do have the responsibility to look out for each other and care for one another's well-being.

• 3 years later...

So I recognize this story: 

Now Cain said to his brother Abel, "Let's go out to the field." While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him. Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Now this definition seems to mean, from the context alone, that 'keeper' just means he has to know where his brother is at all times. Or maybe he is the keeper of a sheep, but metaphorically. 

And no, I don't need to know where my brother is at all times. 

• hrtbrk locked this topic