Fossils Break Through Magma Lines

Midtime

meerca_ribbonday_cheer.gif

Greetings, friends, and welcome to yet another crazy awesome day of Altador Cup coverage here at The Daily Neopets. I'm Brooke, and I am pleased to announce that Matt and I have officially resolved our differences. And by "resolved our differences," I definitely mean we had a battle of epic proportions that resulted in my triumph and his parting in disgrace.

descending whistle followed by splat And by "parting in disgrace" I mean that Matt had to take a leave of absence for his health as I may or may not have accidentally fallen through a less-than-sturdy ceiling tile and landed directly on top of him as I was planning my nefarious scheme. But the important part is, he took those creepy-as-all-get-out cardboard menaces with him! So all is finally well.

Anyway, if our friendly cameraperson here will stop giving me those accusing looks, we'll get on with the coverage! Let's begin with the Alabriss Bracket, where sweeps were once again the name of the game.

meridell team Meridell took on Terror Mountain in the first matchup of the day. While the scores in all four games were within a point of each other, the Knights took the edge in every one. This doesn't come as much of a surprise, given that the Knights have managed four sweeps before today's match, and the Chillers only one, against the struggling Suns. However, the clear positivity of Terror Mountain's loyal fanbase seems unbreakable, and will likely carry them through this defeat and any others they face.

jelly chia logo Next up on our list of sweeps is Krawk Island, who bounced back from their utter loss in yesterday's match and mopped the floor with the Faeries. Faerieland gave it their all against the Pirates, running on the adrenaline of two days of comparative success, but were ultimately unable to stand up against the onslaught of slushies and Yooyus. Krawk Island's biggest success was in Shootout Showdown, but they scraped by with one-point victories in the other three events. As Faerieland gains confidence, they'll be a team to watch for the rest of the Cup!

mystery mynci Our final match in the Alabriss Bracket features the talents of Mystery Island and the Lost Desert. The Mummies are struggling a bit this year, despite their reputation as a powerhouse team in the past. And while the Natives aren't known for being particularly adept at Yooyuball, they've been tearing up the field this year, defeating more than half the teams they've come up against. Today was certainly no exception as Mystery Island crushed the Lost Desert in every game, with a particularly wide margin in Slushie Slinger.

That wraps up the Alabriss Bracket, so I'll turn things over to Lydia.

gosh this pic is neat"Brooke, what did you do? Can't I leave you alone for a half hour? [Lydia sighs.] I'll be reporting on the Minitheus bracket today, and hope my reporters don't kill one another in the meantime. We'll start with the one sweep of the bracket. Altador is a little disheartened since being thrown in with the powerhouses. They weren't able to get any wins in today against Kreludor, but they remain hopeful even when faced with a bracket of giants.

junior korbat On one of the other fields, the two title contenders went head to head. The Haunted Woods nearly swept Virtupets away in a tense match. Both teams put up some of the highest scores we've seen this season, with the Zombies coming out ahead in Slushie Slinger, Make Some Noise and Shootout Showdown. The most intense match was definitely in Yooyuball, however, with Virtupets getting a final, surprising point with an exceptionally feisty Darigan Yooyu just seconds before the clock hit zero.

power shake In another powerhouse matchup, Tyrannia and Moltara went head to head. The Fossils took the Cup last year and have been throwing their weight around again this year. It seems like they've successfully avoided the "winner's curse" so far. Moltara has also been making waves, catching many teams off-guard. They suffered one of their worst losses of the season today at the hands of Tyrannia, only taking a win in Make Some Noise - though that was by a landslide - and a draw in Slushie Slinger. Yooyuball and Shootout Showdown went to the Fossils in close matches, both of them being broken from ties in the last ten seconds of the match.

Now that that's done, I'll pass you to Midtime, who has the final results of the evening!

"Thank you very much, Lydia. This is Midtime, out in the field once again - the matches in the Vaeolus Bracket have been fantastic spectacles. I'll start on the results now.

useless effing goalie "Brightvale have lived up to their performance in previous rounds, soundly defeating the Mermaids in Yooyuball. Maraqua aren't quite so much at a disadvantage as they were yesterday, however, and their steady scores across the side games were a little too much for the Wizards to contest - the Mermaids took all three. The results came as a pleasant surprise to Maraqua fans, many of whom after seeing their loss in the main game had resigned themselves to another crushing sweep. It seems that the team may have some thunder left in them after all.

vaguely sexy gelert "Darigan Citadel have followed their performance yesterday with another excellent victory - this time over Roo Island. Despite the Rooligans' valiant efforts, the Minions, just as determined as they were, shut them out of every game except Slushie Slinger. While the Rooligans have avoided a sweep this time, Minion fans are celebrating the occasion with great enthusiasm, expecting the win to propel their team still higher in the standings in this last week of the season.

team shenkuu "Shenkuu have not given up the ghost just yet; for the second day in a row they have countered a loss in Yooyuball with a side-game sweep across the rest of the scoreboard. Supporters of the team have good reason to be proud about this achievement, especially as it comes this time against a team much higher in the standings than Shenkuu itself - Kiko Lake are ranked right behind this year's infamous powerhouses. When asked to comment on the team's recent performance, Kiko Lake captain 'Poke' Cellers replied, 'We underestimated them, and paid for it. Trust me - there's no chance of that happening again. Think of it as an example of what a vigilant team can accomplish if you give them a chance. The Ninjas played well that match.'

"Those are all the results for today - thank you very much for watching, viewers. Mind you pay attention to Tyrannia's match against the Haunted Woods - as the first non-powerhouse team to best any of the three main podium contenders this season, the Fossils will no doubt be loath to back down from this much greater challenge. Meanwhile, Kreludor, another strong team, are prepared to see to Moltara's third loss of the round, if at all possible.

"Now, this is Midtime of The Daily Neopets, on behalf of all remaining staff, signing off. Pax vobiscum!"

md_103.gif

"Camera, tripod, microphone. What else? Oh, yes, that rock. I can't believe I had to do all the camera-work myself today. It's preposterous. Hallo - this isn't a rock, it's a cardboard cutout of a rock. How silly of me. Let me just take all these things back to the studio..."

Obligatory disclaimer: This news report was written to inform you all of the latest Altador Cup results in as entertaining a manner as possible. The rest of its content is largely fictional, composed from various fan comments and the whims of our imagination in an attempt to inspire a sense of realism through our reporting. While we do our best to keep things reasonably neutral, this report is in no way intended to be a completely bias-free listing of the day's results, nor does it claim to provide critical analysis of past and potential outcomes from qualified Altador Cup experts. Please note that the opinions formulated in this report are from a full team of different reporters, and in no way represent the views of only a single faction. If you're looking for 100% unbiased performance data, take a look at our standings page. If professional analysis tickles your fancy, you want our predictions pages (global/daily).

NUU!WAI DID VIRTUPETS LOSE WAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!(although i'm proud of how well they fared).