I want to buy a new laptop.

Acer charges € 171,- for fixing a problem (won't start up Windows any way) they caused by telling me to reset to factory settings via Acer eRecovery Management.

Anyway, the laptop was 1,5 years old, and I bought it for € 399,-, so it would cost more than half of it to repair it. Well I'm not buying that so I refuse and will tell them to keep the darn thing.

So now I need to buy a new one. What would you recommend? Any tips or suggestions? Discounts I should know about.

I'm totally done with Acer though. I was thinking about a Mac, but they're a bit expensive.

I plan to use my laptop for:

- downloading & watching series and movies

- photoshop

- school/work stuff: word, excel

Maybe even 'gaming', Assassins Creed, Sims 3, Neopets Puzzle Adventure, ^^

Oh and I'm a Dutch girl, I live in The Nederlands/Holland/that little country to the left of Germany.

I was never fond of Acer, the PC specs and deals just never appealed to me from the get-go.

The laptop I had almost 6 years ago was a gaming HP Pavillion, it was about $1.6k. It lasted me almost 3 years then the graphics card melted onto the motherboard, rendering it useless for anything that required even the slightest bit of graphics. The screen would black out and I would have to hard boot it to restart. (Learned my lesson about playing WoW with maxed out graphics for hours on end, every day... <.< )

Now-a-days, I'm not entirely sure which laptop would be good for gaming. I'd have to go with Alienware, although it's expensive, you can build your own and have the specs you want.

Sooo when you browse computers there's only a few things to look at. Photoshop eats RAM. If you wanna gain the most out of Photoshop, I suggest you go for 8GB or more.

Some games may require a decent graphics card but it shouldn't be a biggie.

How much do you feel like spending?

I also need to get a new laptop. Going on 5 years and it's starting to act funky :/

I plan on getting a Mac since they're recommended for an art career and if you're using Photoshop a lot for graphic design or whatever purpose a Mac could be a good investment

I don't know in terms of gaming what would be the best choice, but I know part of the problem with my current PC is the amount of sims 3 programs installed haha...on a side note, I can't contain my excitement for the sims 4 release :D

If you're thinking of a Mac laptop style, I recommend the Macbook Airs. They're cheaper then the Macbook Pros with the obvious difference being the screen size. If you do go with Mac make sure you get Apple Care. I have a macbook pro that will be three years old in September and it's completely done for. My warranty is buying it from me and saving me from having to shell out a bunch of money to replace it.

Whichever brand you decide on, look for places that have extended warranty plans. You'll be paying more money with the extra warranty, but it's a worthy investment if something happens to your computer during that extended warranty period. :)

Get a ASUS Ultrabook. If you need the graphics (for gaming) then perhaps Lenovo Y-series or one of ASUS' entertainment lines.

If you're thinking of getting a Macbook Air I'd suggest getting the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 instead: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mseea/nl_BE/pdp/productID.300223100

Also note that Microsoft offers student discounts for many products, if you're one.

If you still have that Acer laptop: Where in the start up process is it stuck? What happens, are there any errors?

I have a purple Acer Aspire One netbook that I'm using. I've used it for several years. Only had to replace the screen on it once, and replace the battery charger once. Otherwise, it's worked like a charm for me. I hope you can get your computer situation sorted. I wish you luck!

get a laptop with decent graphic card and processor.

also, find the one that you can open the casing yourself to do some cleaning on the cooling fan and heatsink if you living in dusty place. well cleaned laptop will less prone to auto shutdown.

i almost replace my laptop last year. been using for 5 years. but i took risk to open it, clean and apply new heatpaste and voila!! no more cooling fan screaming, no shutdown and games run smooth since the temperature is not that high anymore.

Thanks for all the replies!

The laptop is at the Acer Repair Centre and I basically told them to go .... themselves and do whatever they want with it 'cause I'm totally not satisfied with how they treated my support case and I've kind of given up. They keep telling me to go talk to my insurance but well, it has nothing to do with the fact than one day a long long time ago my laptop had a little accident. Everything worked properly, and now there's trouble because I tried to go back to factory settings like Acer Support told me to :').

If you do go with Mac make sure you get Apple Care. I have a macbook pro that will be three years old in September and it's completely done for. My warranty is buying it from me and saving me from having to shell out a bunch of money to replace it.

What do you mean by that exactly? Does Apple completely check/repair/replace your Mac after three years, like a standard? Or is it what you both agreed upon after you contacted Apple Care?

You don't need to buy a new laptop for what you are going to be doing because they are not going to be using a lot of RAM or processing power. Even gaming doesn't use that much CPU or graphics power unless you choose a game with that uses a lot of resources *Battlefield 4 ahem!* and set the quality on higher settings.

You can fix your computer for free or for cheap if you know what to do. If windows isn't starting then just re-install windows with your windows CD or usb drive. If that doesn't work then your hard drive may have died. You can get a new laptop if that is the case but getting a new laptop hard drive is a good cheap option since they cost $50 - $100. As for Acer being a bad brand, I think they are fine. I can't give my full recommendation for it but my friend bought an Acer laptop during Christmas in 2010 and it has served him well to this day. He has played a whole bunch of games on it such as Tera, Minecraft, Swordsman Online, Starcraft 2 and League of Legends.

Now.... For you getting a Mac. I say don't do it. I admit they are very sleek and has a certain higher quality build but for the cost they are not worth it. The performance of a Mac won't measure up to how much you pay for it and you can get more performance out of something cheaper.

I'd personally think twice before buying a laptop from a company both into electronics and fruit.

Everything worked properly, and now there's trouble because I tried to go back to factory settings like Acer Support told me to :').

What problem? I can guide you through performing a clean install of Windows.

What problem? I can guide you through performing a clean install of Windows.

Well I don't have an installation disk or anything ;c. Was not delivered with my laptop. When I started up I got a error saying something like: "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this compuiter, restart to computer and try again." But everytime I restarted the same error popped up.

It will cost me 70 euro if I ask Acer to give me back my laptop, so well. Expensive little stunt. There are also some laptops for 500-600 euro with some student discount, so that might be a nice solution!

• 2 weeks later...

So, you're looking for a New Laptop, right?

I'd recommend the HP Envy 15-j011sg.

It's got 12 Gigabyte of Ram, a Core i5-4200m (Dualcore) with 2.5 GHZ and the Option to boot it so it can reach 3.1 GHZ.

It also comes with a 1 Terabyte Hard drive, 4 USB 3.0 Ports, a HDMI Port and Windows 8.

The Keyboard is illuminated, which is a nice little feature.

The Best Price for it is 599€, which is extremely cheap for such a good Laptop.

Microsoft hosts their installation media (Windows 7/8) online. If you tell me what version of Windows you need I can link you the installation media which you can download, burn to a disc, pop it in and perform a repair install or clean install. If you want to recover your old lappy, that is.