Ways to get secret lab map?

CurlyFreys

I have been trying to piece it together for a while but haven't been very successful. I have most of the cheaper pieces, so now I'm stuck on the ridiculously expensive ones.

I know you can get the pieces through Key Quest but it's been glitching more and more lately that it's more a waste of time than anything else.

Are there any other ways of getting the pieces?

No. Apart from buying them, playing KQ or waiting for a random event, there's really no "easier" way to get them, that's why some pieces are expensive. ;)

Making NP isn't ridiculously hard, 500k for a piece might seem steep, but remember that playing Habi will earn you at least 50-75k a day, Battledome will give out codestones you can sell, playing a few flash games will get you at least 10-15k without much effort. It's possible to earn enough NP to buy the pieces within a few days.

Isn't it possible to get pieces from Scorchy Slots? (Or have I been playing it for no good reason all this time?)

I've been trying to get pieces for years and I'm also down to the really expensive ones. Is it actually worth getting? I mean, if it's going to cost a few million (or more) to get the thing, what's the return on the investment? The chance to zap your pet doesn't seem worth it when you can lose your pet if the ray ashes it. I'd rather have a plain colour than lose my beloved pet. What else do you get out of it? Random stat changes? I can get that from The Coincidence. (Though, I only got a couple of positives and loads of negatives from that, so it became totally unworthy.)

When it comes right down to it... why do it?

you will never lose your pet from the lab ray. only the petpet lab ray has a chance of destroying its target. otherwise, it will give you access to colors that are only available through a fountain faerie quest.

as for the stat changes, if that doesn't seem appealing to you, then you must not be very interested in the battledome, which is a huge part of the value of the map. over the course of months or years, using the lab ray will save you tons of np worth of traditional training. the coincidence doesn't even compete. so if you're not trying to get cool colors for your pet, training for the battledome, or going for a very expensive avatar, then there's no reason to collect the pieces.

this site lists possible sources of the pieces, and i don't see scorchy slots on there though i can't vouch for its reliability. http://www.neopets.com/~dekasin

For clarification: Scorchy Slots gives out Treasure Map pieces, not Secret Lab Map pieces. Although playing the game will have a chance of dropping the Treasure Map Pieces, which do sell for quite a bit of NP and can be used to buy a Secret Lab Map ;)

Again, I can't really phase it any better than Rune. To be honest I have always felt that the lab ray map was pretty cheap. A few hours gaming and a few hours restocking and your golden not to mention habi. What pieces are you missing?

I have never been able to acquire many neopoints, I'm just not good at, or my luck is just so bad. Gaming doesn't get me anything and I have no idea how people make so much money from restocking.

I'm missing four pieces. All the most expensive ones.

The top three and the very center.

I just straight up brought the entire set lol. I remember using the boon "That Millionaire Feeling" just for this too cus I wanted to save the hassle. I had several pieces (but not the expensive ones) so I just sold those in my shop.

Try the puzzle games and habi if you're not good with games? They take time but there's lot of guides out there so you can definitely get past through it. In the meantime, do the dailies! You definitely will get there!

If you stop even before starting, then there's really no point in further discussing it. We all started from nothing, tried our hands at a few things, and NP accumulated over time. Saying you aren't good at games - have you tried ALL of them and found not ONE you're good at? It takes 5 minutes to complete 3 games of Catch the Petpet, a game requiring no skill at all. Maths Nightmare takes about half as long and is an easy 3k a day, and even a I know how to divide 10 by 5. A few clicks in Fashion Fever is still 900NP more than where you first started. Everything adds up eventually. Do dailies. All the resources are out there for you to read and use, all it takes is some patience and a little bit of effort. Relying on luck alone on Neopets will get you nowhere, fast.

If you stop even before starting, then there's really no point in further discussing it. We all started from nothing, tried our hands at a few things, and NP accumulated over time. Saying you aren't good at games - have you tried ALL of them and found not ONE you're good at? It takes 5 minutes to complete 3 games of Catch the Petpet, a game requiring no skill at all. Maths Nightmare takes about half as long and is an easy 3k a day, and even a I know how to divide 10 by 5. A few clicks in Fashion Fever is still 900NP more than where you first started. Everything adds up eventually. Do dailies. All the resources are out there for you to read and use, all it takes is some patience and a little bit of effort. Relying on luck alone on Neopets will get you nowhere, fast.

Well that was a bit rude.

I've been playing Neopets for a long, since I was a kid.

When I was younger, all I would do was play games and none of them amounted to much.

While I appreciate the time you took to respond, I don't appreciate the condescending way you worded it.

I never said I didn't put effort in so don't assume I don't.

Well now I'm super glad I even bothered to start this topic. So much for this forum being helpful and nice.

That's not what we're about here and I'm really sorry that it turned into something a lot less than helpful. For instance, when I asked "why bother?", I wasn't being spiteful or sniping. I was asking an honest question. I really didn't see a reason for it other than painting your pet. If I gave other than that impression, I apologize.

@Avia loves Chias: No... I don't do a lot of Battledome. Why? Because I find it very badly organized and designed. It is stilted towards only those who are very Neo-wealthy and really long time veterans to have a chance to do anything meaningful in it. It's also geared towards those who intend on spending inordinate amounts of their lives (by this I mean years) dedicated to it. Sorry, but I have a life and lots of other, better games to do battle in. Before someone jumps on me about being rude, I honestly mean no offense to those of you who thoroughly enjoy Battledome. More power to you. Myself, I use it as a tool to get codestones to sell and that's all.

@Rune Valentine: Curly is right, that was rather condescending. Some of us simply aren't great at the games. I really do poorly with the keyboards based ones and only marginally better at the mouse-driven ones. I'm used to playing games on a PS3 or XBox360 with a controller. I know I'm not the only one, either. Just because you're really good at it doesn't mean everyone is. As for the examples you cited, again... even if I were to find five games that I'm good at, chances are pretty high that they're the kind that net very low amounts of NP, like Fashion Fever. To put it into perspective, five games at a maximum average of 1000 per game is only 5000 NP a day. If I want a map piece that's worth 3 million NP, you do the math on just how long that will take. When you factor in that there are a minimum of 4 very expensive map pieces to get, then you can see the position that Curly and I are in. We're simply not going to get those pieces based on game play. So, your rudeness was unmerited and unworthy of this forum. Go ahead and give me a warning. I know you're a moderator and can do that. I don't care. You were out of line and CurlyFreys deserves an apology.

@CurlyFreys, I really hope that you will not come away from this thread discouraged. I had forgotten about the Avatar that you can get from collecting the map pieces and I was mistaken about your pet getting zapped. So, aside from spending an awful lot to get it together, it's something that most Neopians strive to do. If you really want to go for it, then I suggest that you start by doing your Dailies and get a shop going for making some NP. Try playing the Stock Exchange and having some patience. Always buy low and sell high; never spend more on stocks than you can afford to have invested and locked in for up to a year at a time. If you can do basic Battledome, sell every codestone you can get your hands on. I really wish you luck.

All the posts suggesting actually earning NP or buying the pieces were simply ignored, so I thought putting it plainly would be much simpler. If my reply offended you, then I'm sorry, that was clearly not my intention. I felt the need to emphasize that regardless of how much you actually make on a daily basis, it doesn't mean your goals can't be attained in a period of time.

Whether it's making an additional 5k NP every day, or 50k, it shouldn't deter you from trying to achieve your goals - the assumption that you have to be great at a game isn't true. Even an extra 2k a day, however small, adds up if done daily. The links I provided (especially JubbyJubJack's page) notes the easiest and quickest games you can play that will yield additional NP. It's by no means fast, but it instantly gets NP in the bank (as opposed to buying stocks or playing food club). Just because you aren't excellent at a game, doesn't mean it won't add up if you just play a few games a day.

If you wish to discuss this further, you can drop me a PM.

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine).
The original topic has been answered.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED. Please contact Rune Valentine if you have any questions regarding this action.