Nay for close-minded people

Naamah D.

I'm going to have to start volunteering soon and am worried that because I am an adult I will never be able to play video games again. I'm worried that co-workers will want me to do all of these holiday parties and try and get me to join a book reading club. Reading is so stupid! I hate it because I need to be doing something with my hands nonstop. I don't know why people like to read want to force their hobby on me, but it really is getting on my nerves.

I was just wondering if it's okay for people who work with kids to not socialize outside of work. I just want to go straight home after work and be the lazy bum that I am. I need a job to pay for pre-orders, new games, buy a replacement PS3 or whatever as needed and pay my electric bill.

what you chose to do outside of work is your prerogative :)

I don't know why you would have to conform to the ways of your co-workers. There's nothing wrong with playing video games in your spare time if that's what makes you happy. They shouldn't judge you for that

Holidays parties and things can be awful and awkward. But if they're encouraging you to go to these events with them it could be a good opportunity to make some friends :)

It's fine to not socialize outside of work, I don't enjoy holiday parties and forced mingling either. Holiday parties can be good for networking if you're in a field where you'd benefit from gaining contacts, but I'm assuming this isn't one of those jobs. That said, you should attend a couple of parties just to get to know people, hopefully you'll find others that are into videogames! ^_^ I love reading but I wouldn't be too into joining a book club either, I just want to read what I want, when I want. I'm sure you'll find someone with common hobbies there and if not, well, a job is a job. Everyone is just there to earn some cash, getting along with co-workers is just a bonus. :yes:

I don't work anymore but when I did I rarely went to any social events except for when I worked at the dating abuse hotline. I had such a great relationship with all of the workers and volunteers and we had a lot of charity events that were a lot of fun (since we were all like minded similarly aged people.) But I have never worked anywhere it was forced to go to holiday parties or whatever, sometimes I would go just for the free food and booze, but I usually kept to myself. At my last office job I hardly spoke to anyone outside of the office, and would spend my lunch breaks walking the hiking trail behind our office alone. I'm pretty shy at first so it took a while for me to warm up to people but I eventually made some office friends but we never hung out outside of work and I only agreed to go out to lunch with them once. People are usually pretty respectful if you politely decline their social offerings.

I'm a huge fan of reading but honestly, you do you! Don't let other people tell you what you 'should' enjoy and do with your spare time. Unless it really is important for you to socialize, for example to meet an important person who you could work with later, then I think it's okay for you to do whatever makes you happy and recharged for your next day of work. Some people are extroverts and are pumped up by being around other people, and others are introverts and prefer the company of themselves. Both of those are fine! There's nothing wrong with keeping to yourself.

I'm going to have to start volunteering soon and am worried that because I am an adult I will never be able to play video games again. I'm worried that co-workers will want me to do all of these holiday parties and try and get me to join a book reading club. Reading is so stupid! I hate it because I need to be doing something with my hands nonstop. I don't know why people like to read want to force their hobby on me, but it really is getting on my nerves.

I was just wondering if it's okay for people who work with kids to not socialize outside of work. I just want to go straight home after work and be the lazy bum that I am. I need a job to pay for pre-orders, new games, buy a replacement PS3 or whatever as needed and pay my electric bill.

I'm confused, are you volunteering or working? Because honestly if you're volunteering no one really cares (sorry but it's truth!) What exactly is it that you're working? Because last time I checked, book reading is...boring for everyone lol. Except maybe scholars or teachers (even then I doubt teachers like reading THAT much)

I worked part-time before and honestly everyone's too busy with their own lives to force their hobbies onto you.

I'm sure after a hard day of work, everyone wants a break! Whether it's video games or sitting on the couch with a nice cold beer ;) Last note: Do what you want to do! Your life is yours~ (Hence the overused expression by teenagers: #YOLO)

• 2 weeks later...