Procrastinating High School Students In Their Last Year

lizzyjane101

So I noticed that I'm by far not the only one who rebooted Neopets as a procrastination method for final exams.

Anyone want to moan about life and school with me? Uni/ college is probably relevant too. I like talking about how hard school is because it makes is seem less hard (because logic).

I remember that time. :headphone: Everyone goes through it. You want to hold on to your childhood 0:) as long as you can, and what better place to do that than Neopets? :happydance: If it makes it any easier, "adulthood" isn't all at once--it's gradual. And you can stay a kid as long as you want. :cap: :icecream: Good luck! :graduated:

This is definitely relevant to my life right now. I took 21 credits this summer and I'm finally at "finals season" and so I'm hitting neopets quite hard. It's just nice to have something that makes you feel like you're accomplishing something that takes little to no effort and does not matter at all.

Enjoy your high school life while you have it. Once adulthood sinks in, you will really miss it. Next May will be my 10 year reunion... but even so, Neo is a distraction from the stresses in adult life too. :)

I think every full time student needs something that will help them blow off steam and reduce stress. I remember my senior year of high school- I was taking several advance courses and prepping for college. I never stopped, never did anything fun... I almost had a full on breakdown. >_< I seriously don't remember a good chunk of the school year, and don't ask me what I learned.

Neopets is good for relaxing. A whimsical world where the worst that could happen is the Pant Devil steals your stuff.

I remember that time. :headphone: Everyone goes through it. You want to hold on to your childhood 0:) as long as you can, and what better place to do that than Neopets? :happydance: If it makes it any easier, "adulthood" isn't all at once--it's gradual. And you can stay a kid as long as you want. :cap: :icecream: Good luck! :graduated:

Yeah. I turned 18 about a month ago and I was mainly just sad that I wasn't a dancing queen anymore. In my country, that's a legal adult in every way and I have to apply for a tax file number and medicare and ugh.

Thanks. Into battle! :medieval:

This is definitely relevant to my life right now. I took 21 credits this summer and I'm finally at "finals season" and so I'm hitting neopets quite hard. It's just nice to have something that makes you feel like you're accomplishing something that takes little to no effort and does not matter at all.

Especially Habitarium. I just leave it open all day and I feel so accomplished and rich, even though I'm not really doing anything at all :P

Enjoy your high school life while you have it. Once adulthood sinks in, you will really miss it. Next May will be my 10 year reunion... but even so, Neo is a distraction from the stresses in adult life too. :)

I suppose so. I have enjoyed school, but after 13 years I'm sort of ready to move on with my life. I'm basically going straight into my dream job when I leave, so hopefully I'll be able to enjoy life after school too.

I think for me it's also the community here. So many people irl are difficult to work with and here everyone's just so lovely.

I think every full time student needs something that will help them blow off steam and reduce stress. I remember my senior year of high school- I was taking several advance courses and prepping for college. I never stopped, never did anything fun... I almost had a full on breakdown. >_< I seriously don't remember a good chunk of the school year, and don't ask me what I learned.

Neopets is good for relaxing. A whimsical world where the worst that could happen is the Pant Devil steals your stuff.

Mhm. I'm reaching the pointy end at the moment. Major works are due this week and next week, which are probably the most stressful deadlines all year. I should be finishing my 4 unit English piece and two music compositions for this Friday, but no.

I'm procrastinating for my final exams right now!...university is so much more stressful for me than in high school > <

Well good luck with those exams. It seems logical that it should be that way, but in Australia our High School system is so difficult that uni is actually easier.

Kill me now x_x

YES! Habitarium is such a good thing to just get neopoints from... Literally no work for such a good sum! :D

Yep. Meant I could afford the rainbow paint brush I wanted and now I'm saving up for a fire one. :thumbsup:

I graduated this year and am so glad I did. I procrastinated a little because I was ready to move on with my life.

I know what you mean. It's hard to get stuff done right now because I'm just so sick of it all. Especially since I've been going to the same school since kindergaten. I just really want to be able to wear my own bleeping clothes.

• 4 weeks later...

I always slow down in the summer and then ramp up my neopets-ing once fall semester starts back up. Even when my schedule is crazy packed I find myself coming back here to blow off steam and forget about everything for a little while... Maybe a little bit too much, actually. But it's just so comforting to come back to the exact same thing for twelve years in a row - even if the animations and designs have changed, Neopets is still Neopets. I'll probably still be playing it when I go to med school... And I will have no shame ;D

• 2 weeks later...

School stresses me out. I'm quite clever but teachers seem to think I'm the next Einstein and push me so much that I never feel like I've actually acheived anything.

"Oh good, you've acheived the highest level acheivable this year, let's move your target garde up a bit, shall we?"
Nobody actually tells me I'm good at the work, just push me harder as if I'll fail my exams if they don't. I litterally can't rest at home or at school because at school we're in a 'very importnat year'(they say that every year) and then as soon as I get home I should be doing homework. But I really don't want to- Escaping to Neo!

Also, what I hate in my school is that your minimum expected level for art and design is an average of your maths and english. but I am hopeless at art!!! Now my art teacher thinks I'm lazy...

My English teacher also doesn't have a clue how to teach. My maths and science teachers are amazing though- because they actually told me I'd done well(although they still told me to aim higher.)

People seem to think that if I get a high level I automatically know I'm clever, so they don't send any compliments my way. But I know cleverness isn't academic, can't be measured in levels but can be measured in performance, so a small 'Well Done' actually does help!- Just as advice if one of my teachers happened to read this,

My parents are amazing and supportive, but they dont seem to realise that I'm not a genius. They don't pressure me at all, thank goodness, or I might just snap; however, if I rant to them they will tell me not to worry because I am actually doing well.

Thanks for giving me a place to 'mega' rant, nobody needs to read this but it helped me anyway.

School stresses me out. I'm quite clever but teachers seem to think I'm the next Einstein and push me so much that I never feel like I've actually acheived anything.

"Oh good, you've acheived the highest level acheivable this year, let's move your target garde up a bit, shall we?"

Nobody actually tells me I'm good at the work, just push me harder as if I'll fail my exams if they don't. I litterally can't rest at home or at school because at school we're in a 'very importnat year'(they say that every year) and then as soon as I get home I should be doing homework. But I really don't want to- Escaping to Neo!

Also, what I hate in my school is that your minimum expected level for art and design is an average of your maths and english. but I am hopeless at art!!! Now my art teacher thinks I'm lazy...

My English teacher also doesn't have a clue how to teach. My maths and science teachers are amazing though- because they actually told me I'd done well(although they still told me to aim higher.)

People seem to think that if I get a high level I automatically know I'm clever, so they don't send any compliments my way. But I know cleverness isn't academic, can't be measured in levels but can be measured in performance, so a small 'Well Done' actually does help!- Just as advice if one of my teachers happened to read this,

My parents are amazing and supportive, but they dont seem to realise that I'm not a genius. They don't pressure me at all, thank goodness, or I might just snap; however, if I rant to them they will tell me not to worry because I am actually doing well.

Thanks for giving me a place to 'mega' rant, nobody needs to read this but it helped me anyway.

Yeah, I know what you mean, although for me it's almost the opposite problem. I grew up with people telling me how bright I was and how ahead I was. I got lazy and then bam, real life is terrifying. My school is a really prestigious private school and the standards are incredible. The thing is, I know I'm capable of meeting those, but I'm just not used to having to work for things. I always got high distinctions in English in primary and middle school, but now I'm actually below average in my classes. I do four units of English and it's my worst subject because there's actual content that requires actual study.

I came home the other day from a sleep over and my dad said that he'd seen my report. I cried. It was very embarrassing.

The thing about compliments is that parents and friends don't really understand my fields of expertise. All they have to go off is grades, which don't mean all that much as far as personal growth is concerned. My Entertainment teacher told me that I have all the makings of a professional sound/ lighting/ vision systems technician and he'd hire me in a heart beat. That was a bit wonderful to hear. I get what you mean about feeling under appreciated. Not so much now because I feel terrible about the amount of work I've put in over the past several years, but when I was a kid, I was damn good at what I did. I learned to read before going to school, I started AMEB piano exams when I was about 10. I quit piano because I just wasn't enjoying it as much with my mum constantly harassing me to practice.

That art thing sounds really weird. What has your projected Art grade got to do with Maths and English?

I always slow down in the summer and then ramp up my neopets-ing once fall semester starts back up. Even when my schedule is crazy packed I find myself coming back here to blow off steam and forget about everything for a little while... Maybe a little bit too much, actually. But it's just so comforting to come back to the exact same thing for twelve years in a row - even if the animations and designs have changed, Neopets is still Neopets. I'll probably still be playing it when I go to med school... And I will have no shame ;D

I agree. The more stressed you get, the more important it is to take a little time to yourself. I restarted neopets because I was afraid of loosing the element of fun once I reached adulthood. I have another thread on the weirdness that is societal expectations of what it means to be an adult. I'm not stressing about being all grown-up. Neopets is a nice place to just relax and do something simple.

I can sympathize with this! My dorm at college actually made a group Neopets account so we could all procrastinate during finals. It was a lot of fun, but of course then a bunch of us revived our old personal accounts... :)

Haha, sounds fun. It's the perfect pastime for not having to think too much, but it's still fun.