Weird/odd food item(s) you've ate?

Aubree8584

Well according to most of my family eating fried tofu was the most odd/weirdest thing I've ever ate. Also I've ate seaweed and I've had this weird healthy Asian snack where it was anchovies but they were fried or something that made them look like pretzel sticks and they had sesame seeds on them I think ( it might have been something else) and they were good too. Although the seaweed tasted really salty though. If I had the chance to get some seaweed again to eat for a snack from a grocery store I would.

I ate witchetty grubs. I was in high school at the time and we were on a bush camp, the idea was to experience the taste of true 'bush tucker'. It's supposed to taste similar to scrambled eggs, but it tasted exactly how one would expect a witchetty grub to taste.

Haha this is a cool topic. I once dated a guy who was from the southwest of the US and when I went to visit and meet his family I had rattlesnake meat. It was odd but tasty. This guy had lived everywhere so whenever we went to restaurants I tried something new. Rabbit, goat, alligator, venison...obviously I'm not a vegetarian though I'll admit I tend not to eat meat routinely.

I went on a cruise once with my parents and brother, and we went to the fancy dining hall one night. The appetizer? Escargot. My parents were amazed when my brother and I tried it and then, shockingly, we ordered a second one because we both liked it xD First and last time I've ever had escargot, sadly.

Not anything weird pops into my mind, but for me I really can't stand oysters. The sliminess is...odd

I think the weirdness food I heard of was rats drowned in wine that is suppose to cure any illness...I don't think I'll eat/drink that even if I was dying.

Well, I thought I had a weird one, but snowangelmidori's "wichetti grubs" definitely beats it. *LOL*

I don't think of sushi as odd. I have it often. Love it. I absolutely adore sashimi, especially the tuna variety, though salmon is good, too. I really like tako nigiri (ocotpus sushi). Yum! I just wish that it wasn't so very expensive.

Mine's chicken hearts. Just love 'em to death. About a half pound of them fried in loads of onion powder and butter. Last time I had them, though, was about three years ago. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy. *shrug* I used to absolutely love raw New York steak. Sadly, it's not safe to eat anymore, but I still have it as rare as allowed by standards. Again, people think I'm crazy, but I like it. :)

Balut, that's the most disgusting dish in the world. If this was a competition, you won :P

Haven't had any weird food myself. Guess I'll go with sushi.

I like this topic.

Okay. The weirdest foods I have ever eat are: chicken feet (delicious, but a tad hard), mealworms, and crickets. xD One Easter, when I was younger, our mother decided to have a bug-themed celebration. That was when she got those bugs, plus a scorpion in a lollipop that I wasn't even gonna touch 'cuzz those pincers were thin and fragile and the stinger hadn't been cut off.

I have to admit, being Asian, I had to try A LOT of different (and somewhat weird) food. :sick01:

I used to really like the taste of duck feet. I know, it sounds kind of gross, but believe me, it tastes great! :yum:

There's also a food similar to escargot, but without all the stuff. Just keep it simple. When I was younger, I didn't know that it was a snail. When I found out, I almost became vegetarian! :whaa: I still continue to eat it now though. :P

There is also another thing my mom calls "Chinese Pizza" (It's not really called that, of course).

It's a dough like food but it can be crispy if you cook it right. ;) The dough is mixed in with a bunch of chinese vegetables, shrimp, and onion. And it, in my opinion, tastes better than an actual pizza! (:

I haven't eaten anything too odd.

I would say the most unusual thing I've eaten was a salad made from local plants. I used to go to a "nature camp" when I was younger and one week the theme was outdoor survival. So we learned all about the local plants and what was edible. There's still this little shamrock type weed that I'll snack on from time to time, lol it tastes like lemons :p

I can't say that I've eaten anything odd. I eat sushi with burdock root as well as sushi with plum paste (my dad said that usually native Japanese people order it). I love calamari at hibachi grills.

Guest WonderlandWanderer

When I was younger my cousin and I tried a Pup-Peroni (a dog treat) it was nasty. We thought that since it looked like a Slim Jim it would taste like one...we were wrong! We ended up spitting it out. Since then the strangest thing I've eaten has been sushi and that's not too out of the norm.

Well, I wouldn't say that anything I've eaten was odd or weird, but when I was a little kid, I grew up eating pork rinds and tins of potted meat on loaf bread, or plain Lays potato chips with jalapeno cheddar dip. Sometimes I still eat those things along with spicy Slim Jim beef sticks, but for the most part, those things... if you have to ask what's in it, you don't want to eat it.

People in the Southern East Coast have some of the best cuisine in the world (and the most unhealthy sometimes), but they don't like to waste anything. People here eat chicken livers, hog brains, pig feet, chitlins (pig intestines), etc. I don't eat any of those things, as I like to stick with fiery hot cheetos and cream cheese, or blueberry bagels with cream cheese, hot crumbled sausage, and mozzarella. :/

I absolutely loved eating KFC's potato wedges with the jalapeno cheddar dip! But that doesn't count as weird food, I guess.

Anyway, I eat beef lungs with nasi lemak quite often. That's considered unusual if you ask me, because you don't typically see people eating them every day. I've also eaten chicken stomach, heart, and liver by accident before and I didn't enjoy them too much. Then there's also this seaweed and wasabi-flavored snack that I immediately spat out when I tasted it.

Oh yeah, and once I almost ate a cockroach as a kid... what was wrong with me?

I took many trips to New Orleans and I LOVE ALLIGATOR! I tried duck confit on a cruise I was on last December and that was pretty tasty too. So maybe those aren't so odd, but I've eaten a peanut butter Milkbone dog biscuit and didn't think it was too bad. It didn't taste like PB--more like dry, stale bread.

The first thing that comes to mind is fried alligator tail, from my recent visit to New Orleans. I guess the taste is a bit like chicken, but the consistency of the meat is entirely different.

For me, alligator sausage. The meat was very spiced up so I had no idea what the actual meat tasted like, but it felt really weird to me to eat a gator. Feels weird to me to eat the meat of any animal that isn't a cow, chicken, pig, or seafood...

I also tried lychee recently, a type of fruit native to South Asia that doesn't grow anywhere else. Very common in China and Japan, extremely uncommon here. It sure tasted bizarre to me as well, the juice and texture, plus I found the juice had a rather burning feel to it, much like alcohol.

I'm an extremely picky eater (and also a vegetarian), so I've never eaten anything weird (I think).

I happen to like eating grilled cheese with strawberry jam, and some people have told me that's weird but I think it's perfectly normal, haha. :P

I'm Korean, so... there's that haha.

I think the most "stand-out" different dish was octopus that had it's tentacles cut on site and served with some chili paste so it was "still alive"-ish. The technique is to chew fast and swallow fast, because the tentacles worm around in your mouth and try to stay stuck on your tongue/roof of mouth. I have heard of some Koreans dying because it gets stuck on your uvula and then you choke/asphyxiate. That has to definitely have been the weirdest thing I've eaten.

Otherwise everything in the sea is up for grabs in the Korean diet. I also live right next to the Pacific Ocean, so seafood is still a large part of my everyday diet: squid, octopus, sea urchin, eel, oysters, crab, shrimp, clams, scallops, etc.

Koreans are also infamous for their kimchi, which is cabbage packed with spices and oyster sauce and left underground for months to ferment. My husband isn't the biggest fan of kimchi, but I eat it pretty much as a side dish with every single meal. Warning though it does tend to stink up the place, so I often leave mine in a well sealed glass jar, refrigerated, and left in a well sealed bag to try to prevent some of the odor.

I grew up with this diet, so for me personally the weirdest thing I ever experienced was either balut or Ethiopian food in general. Ethiopian cuisine is DELICIOUS, but it is traditionally served "family-style" with no utensils. It was a really fun experience for me. Living in Seattle definitely has it's perks as having a variety of different cuisines and cultures.

I'm not sure if I had eaten anything odd, but durian fruit is considered delicious regardless of the strong odor. I could go eating a lot of it, but it would end up your body temperature rises up.

And takoyaki, or octopus balls which sounds strange but really good.