Fake Java Update? (Possible Virus?)

Mistress Dizzy

Within the last week, I've gotten this same pop up on the site multiple times. It says that my Java needs to be updated. It will not let me click the screen behind the popup, and without my asking it to, it links me to what seems to be a Javascript page.

The page is all gray, and doesn't have much text. Even though I don't know the Javascript logo, there was barely anything present on the site.

Now here's the scary part. Without my asking, without my confirmation, it downloads some kind of 'setup' to my computer. I've deleted them.

I even went to Javascript's website. It was bright and colorful, and covered in branding and logos. I updated my Java from there...

Then today, while browsing Neopets, I got the same popup and the same result.

1. Has anyone else experienced this same error?

2. How do I go about reporting this to Neopets?

3. Should I even report this to Neopets?

I know google ads can do some malicious things occasionally, and I remember a specific incident with malicious software being auto-downloaded from an ad on Neopets, either last year or the year before. I recommend installing AdBlock. If that doesn't stop the pop-up, it's possible you have some invasive malware (in which case you might want to get your computer checked out). If you're only getting this pop-up on Neopets, and no other websites, it's likely a malware-infested ad, though.

If you want to report it, you might be able to report it to the site's admins through the abuse report form and they might look into it. It could lead to the removal of the ad, if that's the cause. I'm honestly not sure how they handle reports like this.

I got this a while ago but not from neopets. I forget what I was browsing but the virus thingy basically just downloaded a bunch of crapware got downloaded to my PC. I spent about an hour in the add and remove programs thingy uninstalling everything. I think there was about 10 things I had to uninstall. Is it possible that you had other webpages open but not viewing that could have gotten the virus? If not and you're sure it's from neopets follow the instructions in the previous post to report it to neopets.

I do recommend you run a mallware scan to be sure you got rid of it. Adblocker is great, but doesn't seem to work with this type of mallware thing. I have adblock on all my browsers on my PC and both browsers got the same fake Java thing. The only other thing that comes to mind is it's from Java and they're trying to market crapware and freeload it onto people. Not sure how likely that is, but wouldn't surprise me.

Ugh, I got destroyed by this yesterday. It was so annoying. I have Norton so it deleted the setup.exe download anytime it attempted to auto download, but it didn't prevent "it" from happening. I used "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" software on top of the Norton scans and it got rid of a lot of "POPUs" (which is what the JAVA thing is) but I was still getting hit with it! I use google chrome and just maxed out all of my security measures. Blocked all cookies, and once I did that I don't seem to get the Fake Java Update page anymore. I allowed cookies for sites like this and gmail that you have to log in to. Maybe it's just a coincidence that I don't get bombarded with it anymore, but the "disallowing cookies" thing seemed to work. Glad (and mad at the same time) that I'm not the only one!

There's a quite a few sites I've gone to that does that. AdBlock plus works for me, also having a fiancé that's into IT helps tremendously =3

It happened to me yesterday while I was playing Sakmet Solitaire. Hopefully nothing's still here. I ran a McAfee full scan and there's nothing that is potentially dangerous in it.Unless it never finished downloading.

My previous post may have been too long for someone to keep interest in reading, so I'd like to reiterate:

Blocking All Cookies worked for me. Malware scan programs/Ad blockers did not work. Make allowances for sites that require log-ins.

Hey everyone, I've been getting the same issue. This is definitely the type of thing you should report to Neopets, as it's something they'd want to get rid of right away (having a bunch of little kids download malware onto their parents' computers would be really bad for business).

I've already opened a ticket, but if anyone wants to report as well, do it here: http://www.neopets.com/help.phtml. Select "Submit a Ticket", choose "Bad Advertisement" from the dropdown, and fill in any info you can provide.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon!

My previous post may have been too long for someone to keep interest in reading, so I'd like to reiterate:

Blocking All Cookies worked for me. Malware scan programs/Ad blockers did not work. Make allowances for sites that require log-ins.

Your post wasn't too long. I just have no clue how to do what you did. I also have Google Chrome, but no clue how to work it. If you could explain how I get to that option, that'd really help.

Thank you all for letting me know it isn't just me! I'll try to get this reported to Neopets as soon as possible. I just don't know what page triggers it.

Mistress Dizzy

There's a quite a few sites I've gone to that does that. AdBlock plus works for me, also having a fiancé that's into IT helps tremendously =3

Try downloading this plug in for Chrome first to see if it works:

AdBlock Plus

Chrome can be kind of confusing, but I'd try the simple AdBlock solution first, and then go the cookie route. Upper Right Browser, click settings, show advanced settings, then under Privacy click content settings and there should be some options for Cookies. I noticed after installing AdBlock plus the site runs a lot smoother, but I did this after the "blocking all cookies" route so doing the latter may not be necessary. I'm curious to see what works for you.

YES!!!! I get this constantly while playing neopets. I also got a warning from my antivirus from the battledome that there was a critical threat to my computer. I got the threat a few times. I am not sure what is going on with the viruses but it is since jumpstart took over I believe. I never had issues like this before, now my computer hasn't been running right at all. I put adblocker on my browser and that seemed to mess up my computer too, so IDk. I know its neopets because of the ads and because the warning I got was from the battledome specifically.

Java always seems to do that? For as long as I can remember Java is always telling me to update even though there was nothing to update (or the update didn't show in the system so it prompts me again). But I don't think I had a problem with a Java related virus before. But double check for sure! I use Malwarebytes and AVG firewall to make sure nothing funny pops up. Good luck!

I've had this happen while I was using a friend's laptop, I think :s Thankfully it didn't do anything bad, and I uninstalled it. That was a while ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

Saw this and freaked because I had a little Java update thing too. I didn't encounter it from any site or whatever (probably 'cause I'm using adblock), its icon just popped up on my task bar. I kept clicking it to update or whatever but nothing was happening. I ran a scan and a boot scan using avast, found some unrelated virus that's not so dangerous (wasn't doing anything harmful, just probably slowing my laptop down), but the Java update thing still popped up. Triple checked it, the digital certificates were fine, so I ran it, and the program said I'm running the latest version. :/

The legitimate Java update notifications are quite unobtrusive (i.e., I can leave it alone and go back to whatever I was doing), so if yours prevented you from clicking away, that's probably some malicious software. I suggest getting AdBlock like the others mentioned, as well as doing a boot-time scan (this depends on your anti-virus, I highly recommend using avast).

Good luck!

I've been having the same problem. The little bugger usually shows up while I'm doing the Faerie Crossword. I don't think I have to tell you what that does to my score. Anyway, I opened my Control Panel, and looked at the programs I had. I deleted games I had finished and unnecessary software. One program I deleted was a massive 6.51GB!

So far, the little pest hasn't shown up. *fingers crossed* I hope this helps someone. Btw, my computer is running faster now. :)

I even went to Javascript's website. It was bright and colorful, and covered in branding and logos. I updated my Java from there...

Just wanna note, JavaScript is NOT Java. Two different web technologies despite the close names. Not sure what you actually saw.

One program I deleted was a massive 6.51GB!

>.<

pandfsize.png