CPU usage issues :( Lots of lag.

esem17

My 4-year old laptop is very finnicky with cpu usage now and nothing i try works. No keyquest, no habitarium, many of the flash games are slow and son't allow very good scores. I am just fed up with it.

updated flash

updated firefox

hp pavillion dv5-2045dx

minimal background processes

My laptop is doing the same, not the same brand or anything, but it's just old. We may end up having to buy new ones <.<

Lap tops are only "good" the year they come out, desktops can be upgraded.

How do you know it's CPU usage issues? Have you checked your task manager? It'll break down which processes are eating up your CPU usage.

What other specs do you have? RAM, Video, HDD? It might be a couple of other issues. Like junk files clogging up your hard drive or not defragmenting regularly. Also, a common issue people assume is a CPU error is actually their laptops heating up too quickly. Do you use a laptop fan and keep your laptop cool? I've managed to fry a motherboard because I've overworked it and not leave it ventilated enough. It led to the laptop become very sluggish.

Check your actual CPU usage first, it might not even be that which is causing the issue.

What Operating System are you running on (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8)?

Open Task Manager and see if any process or application is consistently draining your CPU Usage.

Also, perform a S.M.A.R.T. test on your Hard Drive and see if it's still healthy.

You may want to perform a reformat on the computer to bring it back to factory settings, that usually speeds things up too.

These are really useful suggestions, my laptop is only a few years old (ok, three years, but that's not that old) and I'm really struggling to find flash games that aren't ruined by it. (I tried playing petpet rescue yesterday, and it was an utter farce)

How does one perform a S.M.A.R.T test?

I had just recently returned to neo pets and have been experiencing a lot of memory problems and all sorts of lag whether it be browsing, games or whatever on neo pets site on my windows 8 laptop.

The thing is the laptop is much more powerful than the desktops iI had when i was playing neopets 10 years ago and I had no lag issues back then.

i recently installed adblock on both chrome and Firefox after not being able to run the games you mentioned and it appears that I'm not experiencing any lag issues with the site at the moment.Most games were unplayable for me with the lag, frame rate and memory issues I was having but they all run very smoothly after installing that.

my current desktop has never had problems though but you can try and see if it helps

After doing the s.m.a.r.t. test through speed fan, I found this:

The overall fitness for this drive is 93%.
The overall performance for this drive is 100%.

Which seems awesome. but anytime i use internet (firefox, ESPECIALLY chrome)/flashplayer my cpu usage skyrockets and laggs down my computer.

Use a program such as SpeedFan. In SpeedFan, install the program and open the S.M.A.R.T. Tab within the application. Select your HDD from the drop down to see details.

Thank you for this! I'll run it now.

Is it possible that you have a bunch of browser add-ons running in the background causing the lag?

I have one add on, and it's my malware site checker add on. It shouldn't be too large & I don't really want to disable it because neopets has given me dodgy things in the past.

it was so frustrating not being able to play key quest and its mini games due to my browser eexploding

havent had any issues since running aad block on neo pets site

Can someone link me to a good ad blocker?

I'm guessing this would also be a browser ad on?

p.s. - yay for multi-quoting to reduce spammy posts ^^*

Can someone link me to a good ad blocker?

I'm guessing this would also be a browser ad on?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock/gighmmpiobklfepjocnamgkkbiglidom?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

^Adblock add-on for chrome

Unfortunately, it uses a lot of memory too so it might worsen the problem.

Thanks for the link. I've put my laptop in for a refurb, so hopefully it'll come back a little quicker.

Just to ask those who have premium, due to the natural lack of adds, do you find neopets runs quicker?