Weapons and all around battledome advice

I'm in need of advice on weapon upgrades to do better in the battledome and mostly to get the most out of my month of premium (looking at you Jetsam Ace). I'm currently training up my pet in the training school around the clock. Here's what my pet looks like so far:

Lvl 40

HP: 65

STR:82

DEF:57

Equips:

2 Scroll of Ultranovas

Oversized Maracite Sword

Snowager Sword

Carved Quasalan Bowgun

Lesser Healing Scroll

Purple Sticky Hand

Scroll of Dark Nova

I've never been a big battledomer, mostly taking out clown chia, opponents with 20 hp or less, and the first few defenders of neopia opponents. For the past three days, I've been struggling to beat Jetsam Ace. Well, "struggle" is a strong word. More like inconvenienced by him. I can beat him, but there are times where I tie or he gets lucky with his purple scorchstone, lens flare, and icicle move and he KOs my pet. I would like to beat him without having to heal my pet to full health after every battle (which I'm beginning to feel like that won't be for a while. It's ok to tell me that too) or having the chance of losing.

I'm in a similar boat to you pet wise - new to the battledome & with a lower level pet - what I've been using is the TDN battlepedia set guide:

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/ - general link.

Here is the specific link for the set guide: http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/viewarticle/basic-weapon-sets/

But I would suggest just going to main battlepedia and reading through all their articles .

Good luck! ^^

Well the first thing I can see is you have way too many Constants equipped and not enough shields. You only need 2 of the strongest you have. I suggest the 2 Scrolls of Ultranova.

Since you are targetting Jetsam Ace specifically, a Leaf Shield should be enough to block most of his attacks. You can also use the newly released Oasis Tonic as a more effective healer. The rest of your weapons are really not needed at this point, as you aim to defeat him in 2-3 rounds. You also don't really need to upgrade your constants, you just have to train up a bit more and learn to use your equipment more efficiently. If you can raise your pet's strength to 85, you will increase your base strength boost. At your current Strength, you do 19.6 damage to the Jetsam Ace per Scroll of Ultranova, meaning if you attack with two, you do 39.2. Training up to 85 will increase your total damage to 49 damage. Add a Faerie Ability to that, and at the easiest difficulty for Jetsam Ace, you would have beaten him in one round.

What Faerie Abilities do you have? Using Sear will add an additional 4 fire damage to your attack for 2 rounds, Static Cling will add 3 light damage as well. And you're only 10 levels off for Lens Flare, which is pretty much the most useful ability you can have right now.

That's really it. It's more about knowing which weapons to use and how your strength affects your attacks rather than finding more expensive weapons to buy (honestly because spending 1mil+ for an additional 4 icons defeats the purpose of battling to earn NP). Just train up a bit more for now and get some faerie abilities, use a shield or healer on the second round if you don't knock him out on the first.

Earlier today I was going to post this exact article, except my battlepet's stats look like this:

Lvl : 28
Str : 52
Def : 52
Mov : 15
Hp : 64 / 57

But my items are :

Scarab Ring
Scroll of Ultranova
Ridiculously Heavy Battle Hammer
Golden Compass
Cursed Elixir
Abilities:
Static Cling
Bandage
Meh
Icicle

Looks like you guys having trouble need to work on defense a bit. Too many constants that can be replaced with defense and a single bomb if you dont have high damage weapon.

I would recommend having at least downsize, in everyset at current level, and leaf shield OR parasol of unfortunate demise. PArasol of unfortunte demise and Leaf shield are great against jetsam ace cause it has a lot of water/earth weapons. , Patched magic hat and shiny shoal shield are also good choices to use in general. I generally run downsize and 2 shields or downsize, 1 shield and reflector shield(rarely) for this level. 3 defense items are solid..

PArasol of unfortunate demise defends all light, 3water, 2-5earth.. Full coverage on most of jetsame aces weapons and great to combine with leaf shield in this fight i bet. Shiny shoal shield also covers eery offensive icon jetsam uses - water/air/earth/physical and is a cheaper option to replace leaf shield with

Replace a constant with any muffin of your choice, which all do 15 icons and can be acquired easily from battledome wins or bought at a low price.

2 constants will be fine, which in your case would be 2 9icon damage weapons like scroll of ultranova/ridiculously heavy battle hammer if you cannot afford stronger or 10-12 icon weapons yet.

Good dual duties at that range would be scarab ring, golden compass. - Get a scarab ring to replace snowwager sword - 3icons fire+physical where SS is only 3icons fire defense

Oversized maractite rune sword should be good against jetsam for the water icons. You could just probably run leaf shield/POUD, OMRS and static cling for a few rounds just to have safe damage since that combo should block most of his weapons - water/earth. Then you get low on hp switch to something like greater healing scroll/healer, parasol of unfortunate demise/leafsield and shade for a good recovery round

Those xamples are used for jetsam ace.. You should look up 1p challengers on battlepedia and see what icons their attacks do and prepare your defense and rotate items when you challenge different characters. Should always have options/back up weapons in SDB :D

Its very nice having multiple sets to choose from since every challenger is different and may require different defensive options

With 50+ hp you should get greater healing scroll which will make a huge difference for you. Could also try the new oasis tonic from the desert diplomacy plot which apparently does +35hp for cheap.

Im still trying to decide what is best for the last spot at this level range as i havent found anything that effective since a freezer should go here... Problem is i have terrible luck with non 100% freezers so you could try something like slippery floor potion or another bomb if you dont like freezers either. Could use another constant if you just want a third option but if you are lacking firepower just roll with another muffin if you wanted offensive option for last slot.

I hate non 100% freezers neer using them on any of my pets again

I personally dont use stealers but i suppose they can be useful depending on who you are fighting. Most 1p challengers dont have much worth stealing but a purple sticky hand could be stashed in SDB till you fight a challenger that has something like TTear or something.

Best faerie abilities ive found at this range would be

Static cling, Shade, Positive thinking(your choice at this tier really none of them are that useful), best level 25 ability is icicle. the other 2 are not worth it, sear does 4 damage for 2 rounds each but icicle is a solid 6water no cooldown i believe

Shade helps for defense and gives you a round to save downsize or extra defense added on a tough round to get your heal out.

sorry for long wall of text and multiple edits.. Late night scattered brain so i wrote stuff and added later without changing other stuff around it..

let me know if doesnt make sense

Both of you have the stats to beat jetsam without any issue but as said above, your battlesets are all direct damage weapons mostly, and none of them are actually high dmg weps anyway.. Get a little defense and use a combination of both shields and offensive weapons per round to drop jetsam aces health safely,

Based on what i recommended above try a set like this

Scroll of ultra nova - Ridiculously heavy battle hammer - scarab ring / Oversized Maracite Sword(water defense dual duty) [/size]- oasis tonic(35hp) / Greater healing scroll(50hp ideal for your current stat) - x1 icy or robot muffin(for jetsam ace these are probably best icons) - downsize - parasol of unfortunate demise / leaf shield - Last slot can be freezer, a 2nd shield, reflector shield, muffin, something like caustic potion if your healer is weak, sticky hand(not recommended this fight), slipperly floor potion or another dual duty. Really you shouldnt need much from that last spot cause it wont be a long fight anyway so utility is probably beest

Faerie abilities - Static Cling, Shade, Positive thinking(whatever you want for lv 10 ability all about the same), Icicle for lv 25, 6dmg no cooldown beats the other options.

Should be pretty straight forward on how to use this set but if you need tips on what the rotation should be let me know.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the edit button if you have something to add.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at

Lvl 40

Defence and Strength at 80

Hp at 90.

When I finally get spending money again would it be better for me to improve my set(ultranova, scarab ring, parasol of ultimate demise, gilded war hammer and that potion(whose name I can't remember) which heals you by 20 and takes 20hp away from your opponent. I also have 2 muffins.)) Or should I focus more on training?

I don't have premium but would like to be able to beat Koi warrior without losing half my hp each time.

I'm at

Lvl 40

Defence and Strength at 80

Hp at 90.

When I finally get spending money again would it be better for me to improve my set(ultranova, scarab ring, parasol of ultimate demise, gilded war hammer and that potion(whose name I can't remember) which heals you by 20 and takes 20hp away from your opponent. I also have 2 muffins.)) Or should I focus more on training?

I don't have premium but would like to be able to beat Koi warrior without losing half my hp each time.

I tend to recommend focusing on training. There's a Neopian Times article about it that I would link to - if the site weren't down. Training is often more cost effective than weapon upgrading. A pet with a 16 strength boost and a Gilded War Hammer can do more damage than a pet with a strength boost of 3 (strength between 125-199) and a Super Attack Pea. Plus, if you train up to Level 50, you can get the faerie ability Lens Flare, which is pretty helpful in battles.

Consider this: with your Scroll of Ultranova and your strength boost of 2, you're currently doing 9.8 * 2 = 19.6 damage, which rounds to 20 damage with that weapon. If you upgraded it to Scroll of Knowledge, you would be doing 11 * 2 = 22 damage. However, if instead you train up to strength 85 and get to the 2.5 strength boost, you would be doing 9.8 * 2.5 = 24.5 damage, which rounds to 25 damage - which is more than if you upgraded the weapon!

If you decide you want weapon upgrade recommendations (hey, if you train AND upgrade weapons, you'll do even more damage) then I suggest you check out the Battlepedia's Basic Weapon Sets guide. It has suggestions of good to great weapons that are good options to consider.

Good luck!

Edit: Here's a link to that NT article I referred to: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=555848&week=611

Edited by Lamppost

Phew! Thanks for the realms of advice! I loved the NT article, I see the point in it.

I'd probably try to continue training, and buy an Intermediate set, aiming at training though if funds are short.

I looked at the others and they are way above my price range:

especially:

Elite Set

Costs roughly: 1,500,000,000+ NP

Question: Does anyone in Neopia have that amount of money. If so, how did they get it?

You can definitely mix and match items from different sets, too. I wouldn't recommend getting one elite weapon and having the rest be beginner weapons, but there's certainly nothing wrong with upgrading your weapons to the next higher set one at a time.

• 1 month later...

I hope that it is alright that I am posting in here, just need some general advice on the battledome...

Anyways, I have been trying to get into the battledome lately (ahemmmm, like yesterday :D). I've had some weapons on hand already, which I've equipped my pet with. They are: Leaf Shield, Water Muffin, Quill Sword, Scroll of Knowledge, Magical Healing Potion, Pike Pike, Scarab Ring & Snowglobe Staff.

My pets stats are:

Level: 37

HP: 16

ST: 44

DEF: 42

I haven't been training my pet at all, the only reason these stats are where they are at is from Coltzan's Shrine, and things like that. So, my first question is, I know my Hit Points are abysmal, how do I raise my HP?? I'm going to the training place on Krawk Island for now, until I get to Level 40 (obv)... Second, I just wanted to try battling once to see what it was like, and I wasn't able to use my weapons, can anyone tell me why I wasn't able to? Is it because my stats don't really match up with my weapons, or .....?

I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!!

Since you're new to the BD, lotr_rox, You DID equip the weapons first, right? LOL It may seem like a really lame question, but my first battle, I didn't realize that there wasn't a default attack without the use of weapons, or earning species abilities. (Species abilities were in the OLD BD, not sure if/when they'll come back)

Anyway, once you've got some weapons equipped, Depending on what kind they are, you SHOULD be able to click on the first empty box (with a faded sword in it) choose a weapon, and then do the same in the 2nd box that also has a faded sword icon in it. If you have/use any faerie abilities, the 3rd box with the faded cloud, the one closest to the center of the battle screen, they can be selected there. Then, obviously, you press Fight. Since the BD is still a little glitchy, at least the last time I battled. It may give an error message. If it does, just wait a few seconds. Both attacks (your's and your opponent's) SHOULD go through. And if it says you didn't win anything for the battle, be sure to check your inventory anyway, that message isn't always right. ;)

As for HP training. Once you are done at the Academy on Krawk Island, you'll need to got to the training school on Mystery Island, and use regular codestones. (Not the red ones, yet) While in a training session, you can still gain some stats through other means. Including Coltzan's Shrine, since your pet is relatively lower in level and stats. I would recommend, Kitchen Quests. You can get to them on Mystery Island. The Flotsam Chef will ask for 3 or 4 items usually. My recommendation in doing KQs is this. If the TOTAL cost is going to be over a certain amount, say, 5000np, just let the quest timer run out. Unless you're loaded and don't mind spending a lot more NP. The reason I say give yourself a spending cap is this.

There are several kinds of prizes you can get from Kitchen Quests. 1 random stat point. (Any Stat except INT), items that may or more likely may NOT be valuable to sell, and lastly, a pittance of np, by which I mean the NP amount will be less than 1,000np. I've NEVER received 1,000 or higher np from completing a Kitchen Quest. Usually it's in the upper hundreds, at least that's been my experience.

For other training methods/options. Check this out.

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/index/

That is the BP's index of helpful articles. If you scroll down a bit, you can see the training section. There are some training methods they I use and some I don't/can't use. It's really up to you. There are items that can raise stats too. Like potions and Neggs. Those should be listed in there as well.

I hope this helps!

Happy Battling. :)

As Aquamentis said, I definitely recommend checking out the Battlepedia's articles.

If you're interested in learning more about Kitchen Quests or a mathematical suggestion of the cap for KQs, I suggest reading this Neopian Times Article: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=477168&week=424. It has a handy table of the maximum NP to spend on a KQ based on your pet's level and the number of pets you have.

LOL I didn't know about that article Lamppost, thanks for posting it. According to that chart at the bottom, I guess I must just be a cheapskate. LOL I suppose it also depends on how much income a player has coming in.

One thing I forgot to mention regarding Kitchen Quests, they count toward the 10 completed quests per day limit. I think that includes Edna's, and The Snow Faerie's quests as well that count toward that limit. I've only hit the limit a couple of times, and the last time was ages ago. Once the limit is reached though, you can start doing such quests again at/after midnight NST.

Thank you so much, Aquamentis, that really helps. :)

I'm pretty positive my weapons are equipped, when I go to the battle screen before beginning the battle, it shows my weapons, and says that my Neopet is ready for battle. I'm confused lol ..

Thank you so much, Aquamentis, that really helps. :)

I'm pretty positive my weapons are equipped, when I go to the battle screen before beginning the battle, it shows my weapons, and says that my Neopet is ready for battle. I'm confused lol ..

Where are you having trouble? The Battledome is having major problems in general right now, where after you select your weapons and click "Fight!", it will say there was an error, but then (at least on my computer) if I just wait a little while it reloads and sends the move. Maybe if you post screenshots we can try to help?

Maybe. I'm still not entirely understanding what you mean when you say you can't use your weapons. If you post a screenshot of where you're having trouble, I might be able to provide more help.

This seems kind of silly, but... did you check to make sure you're not using species weapons? With some species weapons, you can equip them to other types of pets, but you can't use them in the BD.

Anyway, once you've got some weapons equipped, Depending on what kind they are, you SHOULD be able to click on the first empty box (with a faded sword in it) choose a weapon, and then do the same in the 2nd box that also has a faded sword icon in it. If you have/use any faerie abilities, the 3rd box with the faded cloud, the one closest to the center of the battle screen, they can be selected there. Then, obviously, you press Fight. Since the BD is still a little glitchy, at least the last time I battled. It may give an error message. If it does, just wait a few seconds. Both attacks (your's and your opponent's) SHOULD go through. And if it says you didn't win anything for the battle, be sure to check your inventory anyway, that message isn't always right. ;)

Maybe this will help, I'd post a screen shot, but I'm afraid to go into another battle and my pet lose another fight lol. If it comes down to that, I will though. But, Aquamentis said, depending on what kind of weapons I have, I SHOULD be able to click on the first empty box, with a faded sword in it, and choose a weapon. This is where I'm having issues. I'm not able to click on that box to choose a weapon, I can't click on the second box either, but I can click on the third with the faerie abilities. Could it be the type of weapons that I have then? I have: Leaf Shield, Water Muffin, Quill Sword, Scroll of Knowledge, Magical Healing Potion, Pike Pike, Scarab Ring & Snowglobe Staff.

Maybe this will help, I'd post a screen shot, but I'm afraid to go into another battle and my pet lose another fight lol. If it comes down to that, I will though. But, Aquamentis said, depending on what kind of weapons I have, I SHOULD be able to click on the first empty box, with a faded sword in it, and choose a weapon. This is where I'm having issues. I'm not able to click on that box to choose a weapon, I can't click on the second box either, but I can click on the third with the faerie abilities. Could it be the type of weapons that I have then? I have: Leaf Shield, Water Muffin, Quill Sword, Scroll of Knowledge, Magical Healing Potion, Pike Pike, Scarab Ring & Snowglobe Staff.

Hmm... I'm not certain if this is happening, but it sounds a little like a problem I've had before. With the new Battledome, your opponent will say something to you at the beginning of every turn. A little speech bubble should pop up coming from their picture on the right side of the screen. You can select your faerie ability before their statement loads, but you can't choose your weapons. I have some success waiting for a little while (it usually takes 2-3 seconds for me). I had this issue more severely back during the Obelisk War, and I found refreshing the page helped sometimes too. Perhaps that's what's going on?

I also sometimes had success with selecting a faerie ability and fighting with only that faerie ability, and then I got the speech bubble on the next turn. It does mean you're giving your opponent a free shot, though, or wasting Lens Flare on a turn, but at least then you might be able to play.

Otherwise, maybe it's a problem with your browser or your Javascript/Flash/whatever code makes the BD run. Have you tried a different browser?

You could also try submitting a ticket to TNT. They might not be able to help but you could at least try.

It's probably my browser. Unfortunately, I'm mostly on neopets when I'm at work (I feel like there's something else I should be doing.... hmmmmm :) lol) ... so I can't update the browser without asking someone :(. I'll have to try on my computer at home sometime soon, hopefully.

FYI, I defeated punchbag bob only using the Faerie abilities... you know how long that took?!?! lol

Thank you very much for your help!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lab Rat pet with 925 heath

it has only 1 level but super high health, high attack, very low def, high movement

So whats the most consistent weapons or combnation I should create?

Right now I own

Ghost Bomb

Sword of Reif

Hasty Mace

H4000

Downsize

Parasol

Not sure whats other 2 slot should be

I heared for lab rat pets its better not to get high end shield or healer cuz you wont get alot benefit from it.

You heard correctly. With low defense, you won't get much use out of shields, although full blockers and other percentage-based shields are still helpful. If you're looking for somewhere to spend your NP, you could consider Pirate Captains Hat, which blocks all earth and light (although the Parasol is a much more effective full light blocker).

You could also pick up some reflector weapons. Double Dryer, Shovel Plus, Dual Battle Mirror Expert Lens, Ultra Dark Reflectorb, Super U-Bend, and Turbo Flame Reflector are effective reflectors that won't break the bank. They're especially good if you're fighting an opponent who has a lot of weapons with one icon type, such as the Space Faerie who deals mostly in light and fire. If you're in 2-P, you can expect to see many Sword of Reifs, so the flame reflector might be really helpful.

For healers, a healer like the popular Rejuvenating Jar of Brains won't help you much because 60 HP isn't much of your health. You can, however, pick up a percentage healer that can make a bigger splash. Velms Healing Potion is one of my faves because it's very affordable. With your pet, you would get a 92 HP heal out of it! If you have the NP, you could even go for a 50% healer like Bag of Healing Dust. Some species have cheaper 50% healers available. Another option also is Crisp Blue Tunic, which uses an HP-drain on your opponent, if your intelligence is high enough.

Other options for your last slots would be more constants. It never hurts to have more choices for icon types to throw at your opponent, so you can choose the best one to get through their shield.

On the other hand, don't be afraid to leave those slots open. There's no rule that says you have to battle with 8 weapons. If you can win battles without the extra weapons, why spend the NP?

Edited by Lamppost
Updated reflector list