Neopets JumpStart transitioning: Changes and Down Time

hrtbrk

i'm so sad about losing habitarium. i've stopped restocking recently because i've been focusing on other things than refreshing a shop for hours a day, and habi was my main source of income. yes, it's a less active way of earning neopoints, but 100k over 24 hours didn't seem too unreasonable compared to making 100k by doing nothing else but refreshing for four hours. for me, it was just the residual daily income that helped me offset the occasional spending and still allowed me to reach my np goals. i'm looking forward to seeing something replace it, but in the meantime, i might go back to restocking or try finding people to KQ with despite the inconvenience of having to play a multi-player game.

Well, maybe you can just work... Like you are supposed to do.

It's an off week. We have a lot of idle time.

I can't tell if you were trying to be rude, but I kind of resent that statement.

I'm going to go ahead and admit it...I'm nervous about this. I love my Maingo, Dizoo, Hissalana and BuneeCat so much and am really scared that something will happen to them. I know Neopets are pixels and all, but it's kind of hard not to form an attachment to a virtual pet. Neopets has been a huge part of my life.

Good thing I ordered some games and manga with my allowance :p

Absence makes the heart grow fonder <3

I too am sad about losing the Habi. It was the NP income I use to send out special gifts to guild members as well as quest help items.

Thank you Xepha for the extra egg deletion reminder...I hadn't thought of that! Off to get rid of the many eggs I keep because I have been the victim of the gem glitch several times.

as well as cashing in on your eggs make sure you build any buildings you can and upgrade them once for the xp

sad times I deleted my stash of eggs it now seems real and Im really sorry that it is going .. feel genuinely upset about it now, I know its just a game but I spent such a lot of time with it

Ah, habi is going. About time, it was either that or investment of a lot of time and resources to run it. Can't say I'm sad to see it go, I haven't checked on mine in years. I tried to get rid of my eggs for the NP, but it was too much of a hassle. I am excited about the move, hopefully new servers and no habi/petpet park means better website.

Thanks for the Egg tip! I'll definitely get that done soon. I have like 11 pages of them :P

So wait, do we know exactly when will the two down days be? I was going to open a new Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie today, but now I'd rather wait than take the risk of missing two days of quests...

From the way they said it, it'll just happen when it happens. Later this week or early next, so probably not a good idea to pop any fortune cookie until the move is over. They say you'll be compensated but...I tend not to have too much faith in those sorts of words.

So wait, do we know exactly when will the two down days be? I was going to open a new Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie today, but now I'd rather wait than take the risk of missing two days of quests...

I think you will be okay to open it - this was in the news:

• NC Shoppers: We'll make up for any items you used that were affected by the downtime. More info will be provided when we come back up.

I'm personally holding off because I'm not sure how on the ball they will be, but they claim compensation haha

I was going for the trophie on food club but that meant holding off for another few days on collecting my bets so I think I would rather collect my points now to be on the safe side...bit concerned about event points that I havent collected from the past .. ah well if I lose them I do I suppose

I'm sad about Habi :( I am also not able to get into it. Is anyone else having this problem?

I saw on some other sites that people were adamant they screenshot EVERYTHING on their account in case something happens... do y'all think it's really necessary? Should we be worried about data/info/item/etc loss? :S

And I'll miss my habi for sure :( :( :( :sad02:

I was actually considering doing this, - Just making a special folder on my comp and screenshotting basically my whole account. I guess its always better to be safe than sorry /:

I am really on the fence about this. I've been playing off and on since I was 11 and I've seen a lot of changes come to Neo over the years. I don't see the transition having any major problems but I've still got issues as I have with every transition. Like how about the fact that I just opened a lab ray cookie, a training cookie and a faerie quest cookie? I opened them all yesterday before this news came out. If they start the whole two days of downtime anything before next week that kills my cookies. I know they are saying they are going to give us an adjustment but I'm concerned that it isn't going to be something we like. Unless they just allow us to re-use the ones that were already in play or give us a refund on the NC. I doubt they can stop time on the cookies. They could give out a bunch of free boxes. That would probably make everyone jump over the moon!

Like everyone else, with Habi going bye-bye my income is going to go way down unless FC gives me a nice win. So I'm wondering if JumpStart isn't going to do anything to suppliment Habi's loss. I mean if they could revamp and get KQ to not kick me out every single time I play a game that would be great.

Someone also mentioned getting a p3 out of it - as much as I would love a cute little p3, I dislike that idea immensely. I can't stand how everyone gets the same thing for every plot or site event. With the exception of avatars and site themes - those don't give any kind of gain besides bragging rights. I like it when it is on a sliding scale like last years Halloween plot but even then I wish it was still a bit more random. I mean I've still got Plot items in my SDB that still aren't worth anything 2 or 3 years later. Don't even get me started on the advent calendar. I like the free NP but a month worth of junk that never goes up in price - ick!

If JumpStart can make it so the things we win from everything are more random, so items don't lose their value so quickly I'll be a happy camper and I won't even mention Habi ever again because that is my biggest issue with the game. I stopped playing for years at one point because Neo has a massive amount of items but very few are even worth anything and you can't obtain the ones that are worth anything because the game had already become so unbalanced and it just kept getting worse. I'm not saying that would fix everything completely, mainly because there isn't a fix for it. It is what it is, but it would be a nice start.

Just remember to remove the eggs and THEN discard - deleting straight from your inventory won't gain you any XP!

I thought that too before today but apparently you still DO get the xp it just doesnt show immediately it shows when the next lot of points are added as they do from time to time and in fact they say its better to delete them in your bag because then you are less likely to get a lock out from having too much on your habi at once, also its a lot faster to delete them all

Just remember to remove the eggs and THEN discard - deleting straight from your inventory won't gain you any XP!

That is incorrect! You can delete them from your inventory bag rather then dragging them out. The only issue is there is a slight delay in the XP being awarded. I usually do about 3 egg discards and wait for the game to refresh. I get my points just fine this way. :)

LOL looks like I got ninja'd :D

I was actually considering doing this, - Just making a special folder on my comp and screenshotting basically my whole account. I guess its always better to be safe than sorry /:

I saw on some other sites that people were adamant they screenshot EVERYTHING on their account in case something happens... do y'all think it's really necessary? Should we be worried about data/info/item/etc loss? :S

And I'll miss my habi for sure :( :( :( :sad02:

Ok, still trying to figure out this whole message board thing... I'll get there eventually. So with my "expertise" being that I worked for a website that had to go through something similar I can tell you that if you're changing anything over you do a FULL back up of everything before you even shut it down. The reason is because if you mess something up you can just start over or if something doesn't transfer you've got the back up and you're golden.

The website I worked for, the first time we tried to go live was a mess. The whole thing was bugged, none of the coding worked even though all they did was download and upload. Well, I'm going to assume that's what they did based on my abismal knowledge of actual website construction. I've had a few blogs in my time but basic CSS/HTML is all I've got experience with besides that. I think that's why TNT said 2 days. It's only a few clicks of a button but you have to comb through everything to make sure all the links work, ect. My guess is that it won't take the full two days but they estimated that with some cushin room for error just in case. We'd all freak out if this took a week right?

So long story short, there are going to be issues but TNT is most likely going to make sure that the old back ups match up before they let us come in and trample all over it. If it helps make you feel more secure go ahead and make the screenshots. All that will be wasted is your time and it'll give you something nice to look at while neo is actually down and if something indeed happens you're covered. :)

What I would be more concerned with is pet descriptions, petpages, your shop & gallery descriptions/coding - they might just restore those to default and if you've worked really hard on any of it I'd open up notepad and copy + paste everything. They'll probably change the formatting of that stuff again too.

Wow, I had no idea on the eggs/bag/XP situation! Awesome!

What I would be more concerned with is pet descriptions, petpages, your shop & gallery descriptions/coding - they might just restore those to default and if you've worked really hard on any of it I'd open up notepad and copy + paste everything. They'll probably change the formatting of that stuff again too.

Thankfully I've never really gotten into coding my shop or gallery; I like to keep it simple. And thanks for the reassurance on the backup, I didn't think I needed to be worried but then everyone went and got me flustered anyway :P