Should TNT bring back some of the retired avatars - discuss.

chubit

We should be allowed to earn the right to use old avvies- in a way put in the work or time to get them. but i dont think they should be handed out easily.Overall yes I would enjoy having these retired avvies and wish they would allow us another chance.

I would agree with the idea posted earlier that only people who are qualified / could've gotten these avatars but didn't have the chance to should be able to get them. That way avatar exclusivity can be kept to a degree :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with missuninvited - It would be wonderful if you were around when you "could have gotten it", then you have the opportunity again. Even if it was scheduled as a special event that only happened once a year, or, maybe you are only able to "unlock" one retired avie per month/year.

Ooooh I like this idea. Maybe a new wheel that you can get access to once your account is like 10 years old (so it's pretty exclusive) and it has a chance of giving out old items and retired avatars.

I think that'd be a cool way to make old old BD items and even cove items less hard to obtain, if only just a little.

I think they were trying the avatar part with the coincidence but that took it down :(

I know personally there are avatars that I just barely missed out on while I was in school and not as active. I missed the original neopocalypse avvie so I was stoked when they re-released it. I understand that avatars were earned for certain things, but I couldn't imagine starting an account today and getting into avatar collecting simply because I know there's soooo many blocked from me forever. I'm daunted enough getting past 300 right now and I've been playing for years!

I understand that avatars were earned for certain things, but I couldn't imagine starting an account today and getting into avatar collecting simply because I know there's soooo many blocked from me forever. I'm daunted enough getting past 300 right now and I've been playing for years!

Exactly. This is the main reason that I think re-releasing some or even all of the old avatars is a good idea. I only have a 2-year old account that I play on (my first, much older account is lost forever). While I am an avatar collector, and I think I've done pretty good for my account age (271 avatars on a 23-month old account), it's hard not to constantly think "what's the point?" because of all the retired avatars I'll never have a chance to get.

Just some of my thoughts, as someone with a newer account...

* Is it worth the countless hours I've spent on practising games for their avatars, all the time I've spent restocking to raise funds, and the literally millions of NPs I've already spent on avatars?

* Is it worth it for me to save up to purchase the Richest! avatar, which costs 10 million NP, knowing that it means much less for me than it would for an older account? (continue to the next point...)

* Is it worth it, when I know I'll never get close to the Top Avatar Collector Table, and I'll never have the chance to, no matter how much hard work I do?

I don't know, maybe I'm personally just a masochist (truthfully, I enjoy it, even though I'm locked out from the top). However, I don't think that this will be the attitude of most other people who sign up for Neopets. And given that Neopets has lost so many users over time, it would be very, very beneficial for them to focus on not alienating new players.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of wanting to keep certain avatars exclusive. But honestly, due to the fact that collecting avatars is basically one of the primary activities/hobbies to do in the game (especially right now, since there are so many broken things- but it's always been a draw), that's more damaging than some people might realize. And for someone who's just signed up for the site, finding out from the start that "lol there are like a jillion avatars you'll never even be able to get, so why even bother?" is not exactly encouraging.

Now, if they ever re-release old avatars, I am not advocating that they should be made easier to get than they were originally. They should pose at least the same challenge, or possibly even be made more difficult to earn so they will truly be, well, earned. But the important thing is that just the chance to get them is there, and that's the thing that's missing now.

That's my somewhat long-winded 2 cents.

Having thought about this, I'd much rather they brought out some new avatars that required some effort to gain (not high scores or RL cash though). Moving forward rather than looking backward, really. How often do new avatars get added?

• 2 months later...
Guest JussttBre

I'm on the fence. I would love to get certain ones that are impossible now, but at the same time it's what makes retired avatars special. As much as I would love it, I can respect the fact that it's gone and nothing I can do about it.

Maybe if every birthday they let you earn one retired avatar it might be cool and that way it would take a lot of birthdays to get them all. I don't know haha.

I think so, I mean the coincidence gave out avatars for a while, maybe increase the chance of getting a retired avatar :)

I think it would be a bit unfair to give them away with something like the Coincidence, even if it is only rarely... but some of the ones you could still earn for yourself I think they should bring back.

Like the Altador Cup or Daily Dare ones should have been available for every year rather than being retired as they're ongoing.

Plot avatars are difficult because while it's not the fault of newer users that they missed them, it's also not really feasible to bring them back (even though that would be great >-< I still can't believe I missed some of them, and some I completed on accounts long since lost so I don't have the avatars anymore), but as I said, I do think it would be unfair to those who put time and effort into participating to just start handing the avatars out at random... besides, surely part of the fun is actually earning the avatar yourself.

Basically I think if there's a way to bring them back so you still earn them that would be great, but I don't think they should be given away.

It's not even as if having them as a random prize would be very helpful towards attaining the avatar collectors avatar, the chances of getting just one as a prize would have to be low, so the chances of getting anywhere near enough to help you get in the top 50 are almost non-existent, and you'd still have to put the man hours into earning the hard to get/expensive non-retired avatars.