An idea to figure out unknown "random" avatar solutions

u66

So I had this idea to help analyse avatars with unknown requirements, often considered random. (Especially thinking of this one <http://thedailyneope...ew_solution/192>). When users receive the avatar, they can copy the source of the page and submit via web form, collecting data such as time, day, neopoints, and anything else in the source of the page. They could even go to other pages like their user lookup for more data. What do you think? Would TDN possibly try something like this? Statistics could be collated by script on the server and posted online. And eventually someone might figure out something about how to get the avatar!

Actually I'm a math/IT graduate, so, I guess I could help with making it!

um yeah, I am wondering about the fishing one. My son got his at fishing skill level 92 and I am still casting my line, level 131, and have yet to see that elusive avatar. It is driving me "mad fish."

i think sunnyneo has a project for the edna - cackle avatar, but i don't know how active it is or if anyone is even still working on it. i'd love the idea of a database for that one. while a lot avatars have already been found to be random, it'd be great to do research on the actual percent chance of an event triggering. for example, how many attempts at the snowager does it take to get that avatar when adjusted for actual clicks rather than number of users trying to get it, how often he blasts compared to other outcomes, and what is the chance of the avatar being awarded per blast?

I would welcome someone figuring out the Cellblock avatar. It's NOT random (TNT has confirmed this in editorials), and while most people get it by tournament 10 or 11, I'm already most of the way through tournament 12 and have yet to get it. The thing is, we don't even know what kind of info is important, so it would be difficult. But capturing as much data as possible increases the chance of capturing the right data (though it might make it harder to identify).

Unfortunately, I believe the fishing avatar IS random, so like Snowy, it would just give data without actually finding a solution. I, thankfully, have all of the "not random but we don't understand it" avatars, but I bet many people would be interested in knowing an answer.

My main concern with your idea is if you would get enough data. You would need to collect source code from many people as they are obtaining the avatar. Also, are you sure you can get all the info you need from the page source? We know active avatars can affect gaining a new avatar; would the user's active avatar show up in the Cellblock page source?

even if the avatar is random, it would be great information to ascertain the percent chance. there are plenty of databases for other games that trawl information from users that show such percentages.

but that leads to another problem. as opposed to those database sites which employ addons and datamining of servers, what you're proposing here completely relies on user-submitted information, which is not entirely reliable. it depends entirely on the credibility of neopets players, so the statistics will have dubious accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those ideas & feedback. Yes, estimating probability of e.g. Snowager avatar would be nice, although that can't be done by my idea (it only checks information at the time of getting the avatar).

As for getting enough info, users could be invited to submit source for other pages such as their user lookup, maybe more.

even if the avatar is random, it would be great information to ascertain the percent chance. there are plenty of databases for other games that trawl information from users that show such percentages.

but that leads to another problem. as opposed to those database sites which employ addons and datamining of servers, what you're proposing here completely relies on user-submitted information, which is not entirely reliable. it depends entirely on the credibility of neopets players, so the statistics will have dubious accuracy.

That is a good point: It would be less work for the players and more reliable to have an addon. But something easier to implement would be good to start with, and then see how many are interested. That could estimate the probability of things like Snowager avatar.