Random Contest Quention. Help please T_T

Sakeru_Kyori

So I set up a scene outside earlier today and took a picture of it for this last Random Contest regarding the Caption Contest picture. Well It says the ideal size is 300x300 pixels but if I make the image that size you can't see the fake bugs I placed around my Neo plushies because they blend into the leaves and sticks around them. Anyway do you guys think it'd be ok to leave my image the size it is? Currently the image size is 660x495 in Pixels. I mean it says the "ideal" size, so that means it's not uber neccisery though right? And I don't understand the smaller then 50k thing.

So I set up a scene outside earlier today and took a picture of it for this last Random Contest regarding the Caption Contest picture. Well It says the ideal size is 300x300 pixels but if I make the image that size you can't see the fake bugs I placed around my Neo plushies because they blend into the leaves and sticks around them. Anyway do you guys think it'd be ok to leave my image the size it is? Currently the image size is 660x495 in Pixels. I mean it says the "ideal" size, so that means it's not uber neccisery though right? And I don't understand the smaller then 50k thing.

Hi, I'm not sure about the dimension sizes, if that would be Ok or not. the "smaller than 50k thing" is that the file size should be no higher than 50 kilobytes (or 50,000 bytes). When the entry is saved to your computer, right-click on the file in the folder it is saved, click properties and it should give you the stats, including "size on disk", make sure that's under 50k, otherwise it might not upload. Resizing the picture closer to the "ideal" size will also bring down the size of the file. You could save a copy of each, then after the contest is over, you could show off the fullsize version on your ULU or just keep it for your private viewing on the computer.

Maybe try resizing your picture to somewhere between the current dimensions, and the "ideal" dimensions? There might be more detail so those bugs you mentioned may show up.

Edit: Oh yeah, and file format matters in regards of file size too. If you can save it as a PNG file, that should give you a smaller size while retaining the quality. I didn't see a list of formats that they accept for the contest. But other formats that are probably ok would be jpg/jpeg or gif. Png has better image quality than either of those imho. ;)

I hope this helps

we had a similar discussion a couple of months ago. the file size and dimensions that they ask for aren't hard set. your picture can be bigger as long as it's not way oversize. just looking at past winners, there are plenty of pictures with larger sizes than the "ideal." double size might be pushing it though.

like aqua said, try different file types (.png, .jpg, .gif) and see which one gets the smallest file size and image quality for your particular picture.

A couple month ago my third placed entry was 600px by 700px. I had a hard time with the dimensions too. I can't remember what the file size was though. With your size you should be alright. :)

Try the way hrtbrk suggested though and see if that helps. :)

I have always had trouble with the imaging restrictions for the RC. I can't even tell you how many times I've tried for hours, only to miss the cut-off because I could not get a size that they would approve. There is nothing more infuriating than spending so much time making something and then not being able to enter because of their crazy parameters.

Oh crap, I totally forgot changing the file size! :( I sent in a 800 x 600 photo...! :(

i'm sure it's fine. i've always suspected that their list of parameters for photo submissions was written up a long time ago and they don't even remember what's in there. obviously, i can't speak for tnt, but i'm just going off of submissions that have won in the past. compared to the beauty contest or art gallery, random contest has always had huge pictures being submitted with no issue.