Neopet Name Mystery

frogadelic

So I have this Koi that I made like 7 and a half years ago and I really like her name, but I have no idea where I got it. I feel like it's not something I could have just made up, although I suppose that is possible. I feel it's more probable that I got it from an anime or a book or something, so if the name Okemirushi means anything to you, please let me know! I tried googling, but the only thing that came up was my pet.

Oh, I dunno, I've found that a lot of the names I picked for game accounts back in college were pretty random... strings of sounds that I thought sounded pretty :) My original pets (Kyndana and Denob) are over 12 years old and Kyndana is completely random while Denob was named after a planet in a book series I was enjoying at the time. *shrug* Maybe your name was a blend of anime names and your own imagination :)

The only thing that came to mind when I read the name is that possibly sounds like an anime name. But honestly I am not sure cause I have not been into anime in awhile. Sorry. But the others might be right, I made up the names for my pets, except for a few that I adopted from the pound. That is another option too, that maybe you adopted with that name. Well I wish you good luck finding out :)

is it a japanese translation of something maybe? hmmm maybe google translate it

though it does sound very similar to the name of a certain sushi :)

This post has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not double post. Use the EDIT button to add in additional comments.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Well, Okemirushi didn't come up with much on Google, but there is a game for Nintendo DS called Okamiden, also known as Okami. One of the characters in the game called Kuninushi was renamed to just Nushi in the North American version of the game. Your pet's name could be an accidental misspelling of that... that's one of my best guesses.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Ōkuninushi (大国主) is a divinity (kami) in Japanese Shinto. His name literally translates to "Great Land Master", and he is believed to be originally the ruler of Izumo Province, until he was replaced by Ninigi. In compensation, he was made ruler of the unseen world of spirits and magic. He is believed to be a god of nation-building, farming, business, and medicine.

I'm leaning more towards that game though for the inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Okemirushi didn't come up with much on Google, but there is a game for Nintendo DS called Okamiden, also known as Okami. One of the characters in the game called Kuninushi was renamed to just Nushi in the North American version of the game. Your pet's name could be an accidental misspelling of that... that's one of my best guesses.

Also, according to Wikipedia, Ōkuninushi (大国主) is a divinity (kami) in Japanese Shinto. His name literally translates to "Great Land Master", and he is believed to be originally the ruler of Izumo Province, until he was replaced by Ninigi. In compensation, he was made ruler of the unseen world of spirits and magic. He is believed to be a god of nation-building, farming, business, and medicine.

I'm leaning more towards that game though for the inspiration.

I was just about to say that Okemi is probably a corruption of 'okami' and 'rushi' could be a corruption of 'roshi'. But that's the best i got.