Forum Customization Contest! (V2)

Shelley

Hey, don't be discouraged! When I first joined I didn't know that much about customs, but as I kept participating every week I got better and better. Keep trying, and don't be too hard on yourself! These contests are all about having fun :D

Here are some tips, if you're interested:

- Get familiar with the item database. The more you play around on DTI, the more items you'll remember, and that way you'll have a better idea of what goes well with what.

- If your custom isn't looking that good, don't get frustrated and give up. Just keep trying different things, something will eventually work!

- Try to keep your custom balanced. Some customs might look too empty or too cluttered. If it looks empty, try putting a foreground, garland, etc.

- Try to stick to a theme, style and/or colour scheme. When I did my last custom, I knew I wanted to do Mystery Island, so I searched for "island", "tropical", "tiki", "fruit" and so on. I chose a Camouflage Kougra so I tried to stick to warmer colours. This is definitely not a rule, it's what I personally tend to do.

- Think outside the box. It might seem like I'm contradicting myself, but let me give an example, lol. For the Mystery Island custom I mentioned, the obvious choice would be going with an Island Kougra, but I went with Camouflage because I thought the colours looked better. See what I mean? :laughingsmiley:

Well, that's all... I hope to see you participating soon!

That is what happens to me. I never know what to add... most of the time it is just the pet, the background and the clothes. I think it is probably what you said, I have to get familiar with what customization has to offer. Thank you for the tips. Let's see if in a few contests I found the courage.

Seeing new members joining in is so much fun! I love seeing what everyone comes up with. Each person has their own style that they like and I've gotten so many ideas from other people's entries that had never come to mind before and I found myself scrambling to do the same with my pets.

Personally, I start my customization usually with 1 item, then build around it. I usually either start with a background or a clothing item. After I find the item I want to make everything else match, I use the search feature on DTI that allows me to search by the item zone. (In the search box you use: "type:background", or whatever zone I want. You can find a list of the zones by clicking the "Advanced search" link and they're listed in the "Occupies" drop down.)

I go through zone by zone, trying anything on my entry that looks like it might fit what I'm going for. If it does, I "unwear" it, but leave it in the closet so I can come back to it. Once I've gone through all of the types, I start trying things on and removing things from the closet that I definitely don't like until I've narrowed it down to a few things for each zone and pick what I do like. I just keep building on it until I'm happy with it.

I enter these contests because 1) I don't even know what's out there, and it's a good way to learn. 2) It's a fun, creative exercise -- and no one has to see your "flubs," which are easy to just remove and try again. 3) It's a way for me to have fun customizing since I'm cheap with both my real and NP money and won't spend it on clothes. (And occasionally I'll find a really versatile item that is worth spending money on, and can improve my poor pets' wardrobe...)

So don't judge yourself too harshly. Just try playing around with DTI, and if you end up making something you like, enter it!

I thought the new contest was supposed to go up yesterday? Or did I read that wrong?

Hi all!! :) Round ten has just been wrapped up and I am now accepting entries for starry pet customizations!! Congratulations to Siniri and Deboratibi :D

As always, if you have ideas for future themes or suggestions on how to run the contest more smoothly, don't be afraid to speak up. If you have any questions about the contest don't be shy to send me a PM

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been so crazy recently, I haven't had a chance to participate as much as I would like, but I have a suggestion for a future contest.

Altador Cup related, whether it's team specific or something like, Slushie Slinger or Yooyuball themed.

congratulations to cat_attack for placing first with their beautiful starry pet customization!!

I've been very busy, as I'm sure some of you can relate to, therefore the next contest's entry date will last two weeks instead of one. Entries for the altador cup theme will be due Sunday the 14 :)

• 1 month later...

For a future contest I was thinking we could do a dystopian theme! We could either recreate characters from dystopian books/movies or perhaps create our own idea of a "Neopocalypse" (how will Neopia end?). Or something to that effect.  :skull:

WOW. I lost track of time. I am closing the 13th voting thread now. I LOVE those ideas siniri and deboratibi!! Both of those would be so much fun :D 

for the next contest, as suggested by ArowanaPrincess, the theme will be weather related...

so the next theme is: Rainy Day (Pet- Tonu) 

first place will be awarded a Single Grey Cloud and both second and third will receive a Grey Clouds Foreground

gif_cloud_singlegrey.gif   gif_grey_clouds_fg.gif

I just saw the LoveWins customization thread. I think that could be a great theme for a contest (Pride or Love Wins or Rainbow -- worded so that people can interpret it as they like, so no one gets offended by the topic and we don't open a can of worms; though I think rainbow might be too limiting...).

P.S. New contest, woot!

I was really impressed by the Warhol and Anne Bonney pictures in the last contest. They were all great, but those two blew me away.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for starting the voting thread late this round, I've had some summer homework get in the way, it will be up tomorrow :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! The Neopocalypse round (no mandatory species/color) entry date has been extended for another week (now ends on the 23rd) due to lack of entries (I've only received 3). Also this week is my finals week for my summer courses so sorry for notifying you of this a little late!

thank you all :) hope everyone is enjoying their summers!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little confused as to what's going on with the contest. I thought there would be changes, but I don't see any. I thought entries for the new round had started, but I don't see that info, either.

I'm not trying to bug you, Shelley; I'm just asking for clarification. Thank you for all your hard work running this contest for so long! You've been really busy lately. If you need to scale it back or suspend it for a while, just let us know. It should be fun for you, not one more thing to stress you out.

Thanks Siniri! I will definitely clarify- Because of my life situation right now- school, work, other personal matters it has been very hard for me to be very attentive to this contest. It is currently suspended (though I will first announce the winners of the last contest). I'm working on a change of leadership for this contest so don't worry about it vanishing for good :)

Thank you all for your patience and again, I apologize (especially for the lack of clarification)