Am I stuck in a trap?

Naamah D.

All of my life I've wanted to be a feminine and beautiful woman and recently discovered that I can't. I have a horrible time with sweating under my arms and some of my clothes have permanent sweat and deodorant stains on them. I wish there was a way that I could realize that I can shop at Forever 21, Guess, Aeropostale, American Eagle and basically anything that isn't Hot Topic. I don't have time to wash everything after I wear it.

Due to my sweating problem, I may just give up on being trying to be girly. I think I'm being a bit rash, but at the same time I think I'm being logical. After all, sweating isn't attractive or womanly. Even prescription strength deodorant doesn't work on me.

Has anyone ever had to give up something that they'll never have in life? I'm really sad because I'll never be what I have basically dreamed of being. Not to mention my acne has been really bad today.

You need some confidence!! :) *sends some your way* Don't let your physical body stop you from being who you want to be, whether that's feminine or not. I'll be the first one to admit that in high school I had a serious sweat problem! I mean it didn't matter how much anti-antiperspirant I used, I was a waterfall by the end of the day. I would have to go to the bathroom all the time and dry out :p haha. Jackets and sweaters were great friends of mine.

I consider myself pretty girly. I wear dresses every day, refuse to go out in public without make-up, and spend wayy too much time doing my hair. I love my style. But most people don't know that I rarely shave my legs. It's just not for me, I don't enjoy doing it. I'm not taking that time out of my day to do something so I can appeal to society's definition of beauty. Just because I don't shave my legs as often as I should does not make me less of a women.

tl;dr

YOU make the call on how you want to dress, not society, and not your sweat glands!

Just wondering if you have ever tried Drysol?

I read about it. I take four different medications so I'd have to talk to my doctor. I take medicine for seizures, mood problems, birth control and sometimes I take a medicine for anxiety and sleep so I'm not sure how it would work out.

If it's an option for you to try, definitely do so. I felt the same way in highschool , went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription to it. I would put it on before bed , just dont ever use it after shaving, burns sooooo bad! After using it pretty regularly I could go days without using it. Eventually I didn't really have to use it at all.

Don't give up hope :)

You are absolutely right, that is not girly at all... You should control that, also, don't go to the bathroom, women don't fart, poop etc... Jokes apart, there is not a definition of woman, there is not just one way to behave. We all are beautiful in our own way. And because our body make us have some difficult times, doesn't mean that we are less feminine. Be the way you want to be. Honestly I don't know a solution for that. But you take a lot of drugs... that can't be healthy... I didn't study medicine, or chemistry or something like that, and you may need that, at least for the seizures, that sounds serious... But for example, the birth control one, that is not recomended, not long ago, I was reading a book about menstruation, and stuff, and I think that same book mentioned the birth control pill, that make changes to the natural chemistry of your body... that can be a cause for the sudoration problem. Although I must admit that I'm one of those persons that don't take what the doctor prescribe, and prefer a more natural approach.

Anyway, I may not know how to treat your problem, but I can give a suggestion for the cloths. Before you wash them, put some white vinegar on that zone. Also is recommended to put it in the washing machine. I'll have to look for where I put the paper with the instructions. I have the same problem, and that helps.

I actually enjoy using mens deodorant and a lot of my girl friends actually do too. I used to use the sports kind for women that were anti perspirant and a deoderant but then i learned about mens and i feel it just works better. Don't feel bad. ONe of my best friends is a crazy sweaty person. We went on vacation in Florida and she had to change shirts through out the day. Shes so feminine and cute though. She definitely doesn't let it stop her. Dont let it stop you either :) I know sometimes you feel like youre the only one in the world facing problems but trust me you're not alone :)

If it helps any at all, the idea of sweat being gross and horrible is only a recent phenomenon. It is literally a conspiracy by the deodorant companies to sell it. And I'm not being like burn your bra feminist here.

The thing with women's deodorant is that they are weaker than men's. If you can find one that has a neutral or no scent, nobody would know you're not using the ones marketed towards women.

If it's possible (i.e. you won't overheat) it's always possible to wear something underneath your clothes that will catch the sweat. Some people have invented shirts and the like for just that kind of thing.

When i was younger, I thought I had to be stuck with the body i was given at birth. But now I've put my gender into my own hands. I'm dressing masculine, I'm going to start hormone treatment, I'm constantly called 'son' or 'dude' or 'boy' by strangers.

There are ways around how your body is. You just have to find them.

I also had this problem when I was in High School.

I was so self-conscious.

Until one day I looked around my classroom, and realized that I was not the only one sweating my pits off in math class (I live in Hawai'i. Yaaaayyy public schools and high electricity prices). So i became a little more okay with it.

Then one day I realized my clothes were starting to stink! I was so annoyed with the stench! The sweat i could live with, but the scent was SO bad. Plus, my clothes started to yellow!

THEN I talked to a costume designer for a community theatre program, and she recommended using a deodorant that was NOT an antiperspirant. (She has to wash the costumes after every play. I like to think she knows her stuff when it comes to clothing care) I went to Walmart and scoured the deodorant isle, and realized that you can only get only men's deodorant that doesn't contain an antiperspirant. It took a couple weeks for my body to adjust to it, so i had to keep it on hand for a while. But i find that my clothes don't smell near as bad (They do a little, but only if you put your nose right into the pit of a clean shirt. Used to be that i could smell it from my closet), AND I sweat less! Bonus!

If you think about it logically, an antiperspirant blocks the sweat pores in your pits. But sweat is a natural thing for humans. So why fight it, you know? I think that blocking it causes more problems, including more sweat. And if you have ever looked at the thing that they put in antiperspirants, it might freak you out. Why is there active ingredients in deodorant? It just sounds bad.

CONS.

-I have to switch deodorants every other month (or so) cause my body gets too used to it. But i find I can just switch between two or three. Less waste!

-There are only a few deodorants that don't smell overly manly.

Good luck to ya!

Keep in mind that all humans are different, so this might not work for everyone.

Sorry for the long post!

Naamah dear, you have the same thing I have. It's an actual medical condition called "hyperhidrosis" and it sucks big time. Pretty much, it means that we sweat twice as much as a normal person and anything can trigger it, stress, hormone imbalance, or even our "nature" as far as body temperature is concerned. I am very hot in nature, who loves spicy foods, who also has pagophagia (constantly craving ice and cold things) and I sweat all the time, which is unfortunate because when I sweat, I feel gross. I have to shower more often and wash clothes more often than others.

People like us are more nervous and uncomfortable, which makes us sweat even more! Sometimes, the sweating is caused by a secondary condition, and you can ask your doctor to perform a starch iodine test in order to find and diagnose that. Your doctor may ask you other questions like where you sweat the most, and when. They may ask you if you sweat more when you think of certain things like a traumatizing event or something. They may even ask you if you have other symptoms such as weight loss or weight gain, fever, lack of appetite, clammy hands, or even a pounding heartbeat.

Excessive sweating can occur without triggers. Persons with hyperhidrosis appear to have overactive sweat glands. The uncontrollable sweating can lead to significant discomfort, both physical and emotional. However, hyperhidrosis can be treated. I know you said the clinical stuff doesn't work on you. It doesn't work much for me either, but there are medications your doctor can prescribe to treat it. With treatment, hyperhidrosis can be well managed.

Staying active (even though you sweat a lot) is still a healthy habit to have. Don't let it bring you down. Just think of it like I do. You're hotter than anyone else. (Literally!) That's why people like us sweat so much, because our bodies are trying to cool down. Unfortunately, the biggest downside of having hyperhidrosis is the massive amount of water we lose through our sweating, so definitely have your doctors keep tabs on your blood work. Make it a point to drink extra water to make up for what you lose day to day because dehydration is no fun. I've been there. I know how you feel as far as not feeling girly, but you can only do so much. You're human. You can't help it. It's definitely hard not to feel feminine when you feel dirty and gross, but like I said, treatments are available for us. Get some advice from your local dermatologist and see what they have to say.

By the way, have you tried adding baby powder or corn starch to your deodorant? Maybe that would help.

As for the pit stains on clothes... mine are notorious for having them, but here are a few things you could try to get rid of the stains in the wash; a mixture of ammonia and water, baking soda, aspirin and water, lemon juice, unseasoned meat tenderizer, or an oxygen bleach. Some of these things listed sound weird to put on stains, but the reason is because some of these things listed contain alkalines and enzymes that break down the mineral deposits that form the stain on your clothes from your deodorant. (It's a chemistry thing really.) Hopefully these things can help you out, hun.

Don't give up! <3

My quick solution suggestion would be to go get a bunch of undershirts. You can always find a pack of Hanes on sale somewhere. It sounds like a hassle, but if you keep extras in your backpack you can slip in the bathroom and change them when needed. Sweat doesn't smell bad unless it sits around for awhile so just change them out when needed. And just keep a separate plastic bag for the dirty ones. V-neck style (or cut the neck out to suit you) in a size smaller than your regular shirt won't show too much. Also, don't put your laundry straight into a hamper. Lay it across the top to dry out first if you aren't going to wash it right away...the longer it sits in there damp, the worse it will smell and the harder it will be to get the smell out. So if you have damp ones that you've changed out of during the day don't forget to lay them out when you get home.

Hey girl! I used to have a boyfriend with the same problem in college he was on some medicine and used to wear only black. I had the same issue as a teenager where just an hours workout would make me look like I had being in the shower. I think the best thing is to go for style as Shelley says and yes do not be lazy to shower ever...also one thing that helped me during my those sweaty teenage years was soap made of mint leaves. If you can find some in an organic store near you its worth it.

I had a friend with this issue and she got Botox under her arms. It worked like a charm! Talk to your doc about it. Don't give up on you want just because it's challenging. No one ever gets great things in life handed to them. The best things in life are those that you have to put effort into.

• 2 weeks later...

All 'beautiful' and 'feminine' women have a particular flaw (or many!) they conceal from the rest of the onlooking world. However, strong and powerful women realize these flaws are simply a part of life and everyone has to deal with them. Do not let just a bad case of sweaty armpits stop you from loving yourself. Granted, I would be very frustrated with this issue as well, and I understand why you may feel so self-conscious. I have always hated my nose…and I constantly tell myself, "I would be so much more attractive with a smaller nose!" Recently, I have been learning to dismiss the hatred towards my nose and instead channel my energy into focusing on what I CAN change about my body…for example staying fit and simply caring for the body I do have! I would suggest consulting with a doctor about the armpit dilemma. However…in the meantime don't sweat it! errr….in other words…[removed] the haters.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Do not swear or attempt to hide a swear word.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.