Snowy Days

jenks

I am one in the snow storm zones the past several days. They do not bother me and I've seen much worse. I kind of like snow when it's winter because I hate the cold and I figure if it's going to be a high of 20 degrees there had better be snow to make up for that. We live in the mountains so we more or less expect it all winter. This winter has been snowless until now though, with one big storm on Thanksgiving and nothing after that.

We are always well-prepared and never had a problem. We just stay in with the kitty and fireplace and wait or it to end. We do have a large generator that can power the whole house but, just in case, we can also cook simple things in the fireplace if need be like hot dogs, grilled cheese and such.

Anyone else being snowy this week? :)

I was disappointed that the storm didn't come inland further, since we are only getting a few inches of snow at most. However, last night my college cancelled classes for today/tonight, so I don't have to travel an hour and a half to get to class tonight. That alone makes me a happy camper! :P

All weekend, my friends and I have been looking forward to this mega storm to hit our campus and give us a four day weekend. Monday they didn't cancel classes that started before four, and last night we all prayed it would snow, but Juno completely missed us and now I am replying from the computer lab.

January has let me down on snow days so I'm putting my faith in February, especially since my boyfriends birthday is on Valentine's Day, so a three day weekend would be nice.

I am from Canada, so I am pretty used to all the snow haha. If it's ridiculous outside, I tend to stay in and be nice and toasty in my home. However, I don't have a problem going out. I dislike the freezing cold or being out in insane's amount of snow but it's something we are used to dealing with it. The biggest danger....is other drivers >_> unfortunately they seem to forget how to drive even when there's the smallest amount of snow so if there's a lot ....forget it. You should avoid the roads if possible but I guess that is the case for any place during intense snow storms.

For this week, parts of Canada are supposed to get some snow but no where close to what some parts of the United States are getting. So...good luck my friends south of the border. Hang in there! <3

We normally get a lot of snow here during the winter but it hasn't hit us yet. I've been hearing all over the news about that storm though, but I'm on the west coast so I won't be seeing any of it. I'm kinda glad though because while I love snow the roads here are so steep and I don't have good tires or 4WD with my little Ford Focus so I don't know how I'd get to work. I'm really nervous about getting snow this year, I know we'll be getting some here soon.

I grew up in Connecticut, so I LOVE snow. But these days, I'm stuck in Texas, where it's like 65-70 degrees today. We have had a few years where we've gotten crazy freak snowstorms and stayed in for a week, but this year is looking terrible in terms of snow prospect :( I'm jealous of everyone who is sitting cozy next to their fireplaces with warm cocoa in their hands ahaha

I live in N.E. Arizona and it does snow here. I live 2 hours east of Flagstaff, almost to New Mexico.

In the past 4 years, it hasn't really snowed much here, maybe 4-5 days at the most, even though I live in the White Mountains.

I've lived here for almost 17 years and remember being snowed in many times. I love being snowed in, as long as we have food for everyone. My boss will call me and tell me not to go to work (my work is 40 minutes away from my house). We both live the farthest from work.

Winter isn't over yet...I hope we get snow! I just bought the cutest boots for the snow!

Yep, Massachusetts here checking in. Home of the New England Cheatriots. Not to worry though, our cheaters once again cheated and took an early flight out to BEAT the snow. No pun intended. (ahh, as you can tell, I just love the Patriots...........NOT!!!!!!). Anyway, the snow didn't dump on us as much as predicted, but it was enough to cancel school for us (school nurse here) so I am cozied up with a cup of coffee, watching Supernatural. I miss my doggie so much though. She was always with me when I was home from work. My big couch potato. As most you know, she died thursday from a splenic tumor that metastasized to her liver (cancer).

Anyway, supposed to be getting another round of snow tonight, then again Friday. So, we shall see. Keep warm and stay safe everyone.

I'm from california. I dont know what snow is O______o haha jk. I've never in my life had to deal with snow other than to play in :P. It seems so alien and interesting. Hope everyones enjoying it. White wonderland sounds awesome.

I'm from california. I dont know what snow is O______o haha jk. I've never in my life had to deal with snow other than to play in :P. It seems so alien and interesting. Hope everyones enjoying it. White wonderland sounds awesome.

You are lucky. IT is tough to drive in, you have to clean your car off before you go out, let it warm up, all of which takes time. It is very cold and heavy to shovel. Not to mention the worry of your roof collapsing after a certain amount of snow, or the swimming pool. with the pool cover on, the weight of the snow accumulates on top and is very heavy pulling on the walls of the pool. There are a lot of things to think about during snow storms. If it happens too early in the year, when the trees still have leaves on them, as happened to us three years ago, (Halloween was cancelled) the weight breaks the tree limbs or even whole trees fall, knocking out power lines. The trees that don't break or fall, remain weak and break later on during other storms.

So while very beautiful indeed, it can cause a lot of problems. Then after getting feet of snow dumped on you, it has to go somewhere, that is when the flooding starts. But then, California has it own set of problems. LOL. No area is problem free I guess. But for now, we are going to break out the snowmobiles and enjoy it.

I live in the South and I am officially tired of people going 'Cold? you don't know cold! Snow? You don't know snow!" It's usually from people who have ZERO idea of the fact that many houses in the south do not have heating. We rarely need it. During the ice storm last year people DIED from the cold.

I am so scared we're going to have another ice storm next month. We suffered a lot of damage and can't take anymore. Nor can we take precaution. :| I am just lucky we have heating AND fireplaces.

The fun part is being someone who came from the North to live in the south.

I was born during a really bad snowstorm up in North Dakota. lol

I live in the South and I am officially tired of people going 'Cold? you don't know cold! Snow? You don't know snow!" It's usually from people who have ZERO idea of the fact that many houses in the south do not have heating. We rarely need it. During the ice storm last year people DIED from the cold.

I am so scared we're going to have another ice storm next month. We suffered a lot of damage and can't take anymore. Nor can we take precaution. :| I am just lucky we have heating AND fireplaces.

The fun part is being someone who came from the North to live in the south.

I was born during a really bad snowstorm up in North Dakota. lol

I don't know what is going on, but it seems that the south is getting it worse than the north has been lately. I know for the past couple of years (because we ride quads and snowmobiles) we figure, "oh, we will head north (from Massachusetts-lol) to go snowmobiling" (we usually head to VT, NH, ME) but lately we have had to head south to PA, W. DC, etc. So yes, I hear ya. And the thing is, in the south, they aren't prepared for the snow like we are up here. They don't have the amount of plow trucks, sand and salt for the roads, etc. Two inches of snow is paralyzing. It can get cold in the south, just as it can get warm up here in the north. We have our heat waves here where people die from the intense heat, just like you get severe cold down there. Absolutely. Hopefully ya'all are doing ok. (pun intended-lol). Keep warm down there. We were just talking about this big blizzard of 2015 which actually turned out to be a flop for us here in Western Mass. About 30 mins East of us got about 37 inches however. Brrrrrr!!! Actually, even we, here in Mass, don't know cold. Forget it. I could never do 45 or 50 below 0 like Alaska or some parts of Canada. And Siberia Russia, the frozen tundra, yeah, NOT! LOL

Ps. I hope my post to Kute didn't offend you. I was just explaining to her because she only knows the "fun" of snow, that while it can be fun and beautiful, it is also very dangerous and difficult.

Here in New Hampshire there is loads of snow on the ground, but the storm has stopped. I don't go outside and often snow or not very often so I'm still up in my room playing video games and stuff. :)

I love snow, but I live in California... Usually we get some snow in the mountains nearby, but it's been pretty dry the past couple of years.

I did get to play in the snow when I was in Utah for Christmas, though. :)

I don't know what is going on, but it seems that the south is getting it worse than the north has been lately. I know for the past couple of years (because we ride quads and snowmobiles) we figure, "oh, we will head north (from Massachusetts-lol) to go snowmobiling" (we usually head to VT, NH, ME) but lately we have had to head south to PA, W. DC, etc. So yes, I hear ya. And the thing is, in the south, they aren't prepared for the snow like we are up here. They don't have the amount of plow trucks, sand and salt for the roads, etc. Two inches of snow is paralyzing. It can get cold in the south, just as it can get warm up here in the north. We have our heat waves here where people die from the intense heat, just like you get severe cold down there. Absolutely. Hopefully ya'all are doing ok. (pun intended-lol). Keep warm down there. We were just talking about this big blizzard of 2015 which actually turned out to be a flop for us here in Western Mass. About 30 mins East of us got about 37 inches however. Brrrrrr!!! Actually, even we, here in Mass, don't know cold. Forget it. I could never do 45 or 50 below 0 like Alaska or some parts of Canada. And Siberia Russia, the frozen tundra, yeah, NOT! LOL

Ps. I hope my post to Kute didn't offend you. I was just explaining to her because she only knows the "fun" of snow, that while it can be fun and beautiful, it is also very dangerous and difficult.

You're fine.

But yeah I've had to deal too much with people going on about how an inch or two inches of snow isn't that bad without really understanding in the south we aren't prepared. Even when we're told ahead of time to expect it, people assume it's either wrong or it'll be just fine. That's part of why people froze to death. They underestimated the problems that comes with extreme cold, especially an ice storm.

A lot of it is ignorance but ignorance does kill.

It's all relative really to experience and what is the norm.

Like i said I really am hoping we don't get another storm, snow or ice it doesn't matter I don't want it.

You're fine.

But yeah I've had to deal too much with people going on about how an inch or two inches of snow isn't that bad without really understanding in the south we aren't prepared. Even when we're told ahead of time to expect it, people assume it's either wrong or it'll be just fine. That's part of why people froze to death. They underestimated the problems that comes with extreme cold, especially an ice storm.

A lot of it is ignorance but ignorance does kill.

It's all relative really to experience and what is the norm.

Like i said I really am hoping we don't get another storm, snow or ice it doesn't matter I don't want it.

I think it is the same with any of the storms. Look at Katrina back in 2005. They told everyone to evacuate but they all felt they could handle it. SURPRISE! We had a Tornado here in Springfield Mass. June 1, 2011. It was an F3. We don't get Tornadoes here. At least that is what we thought. An F3 is bad enough, but in a populated city, it was devastating! We weren't prepared for it. Not at all. Because it went right through the middle of our city, I was South of it when it started, and I couldn't get around it to get home. Then the weather alert came on, telling us to take cover, another one was coming through. I could hear what sounded like a freight train, and sky got real dark. I was on the phone with my husband, and he could hear it through the phone. He said he was coming to get me. I told him to stay home, for one, there was too much traffic, and there was no point of endangering both of us. The traffic was horrible, power lines down, trees down, cars flipped over, no gas stations open and I was running out of gas. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. By 6:30 driving around trying to find a way home, I was running out of fuel. Finally, I pulled over and sat. I had no gas and I was getting no where. Every where we went the police would say, "turn around and go back that way." We would tell them we just came from that way and were told to come this way. NO PREPARATION, utter chaos. At 9pm, My husband was able to get to the highway, come south to where I was, get me, get back to the highway to get North of the devastation and get back to our house which was two blocks from the path of the tornado. So, depending upon what you are used to (and we are NOT used to tornadoes, lol) is what you are prepared for. Snow on the other hand, We have about 18 inches on the ground right now and the kids missed one day of school. LOL.