Question about dailies topics/double posting

jellysundae

I was just going to record my result from the mysterious negg cave, then I saw no-one else had posted in there since I did yesterday. Does the no double posting rule apply to the pinned dailies threads?

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Ruto).

The topic was posted in the wrong area.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.

Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from Neopets Help to TDN Questions.

I'm fairly certain it does; you can always "edit" if you want to add another day's results. (I'm not a staff member, but this is my understanding of the rules based on what I've observed.)

I have a similar question, but I have a feeling I'll get the same answer I just gave you. My CC voting request topic often falls off the recent topics page on Saturday or Sunday, and if I'm the last person who posted in it, editing doesn't help make it visible again, but I'm assuming I still can't double-post to bring it back up (I would only consider doing this after 24 hours, and the contest normally only lasts for 3.5 days, so it'd be 2 bumps at most). I know I can't make a new topic, and I usually link in my signature, too, but it can be a bit frustrating when the votes stagnate and I nearly fall off the bottom of the list -- the signature just doesn't seem to garner nearly as many votes as the topic does.

On another forum, editing the post keeps your post count the same, but the post's time-and-date stamp changes to the last edit, so the topic shows up in the recent posts list and people know new content has been added. This enables people to see the new info, but the fact that the post count stays the same keeps people from editing just for the sake of getting posts. Is this possible here? It works really well on the other forum. I know there are topics here, such as the paintbrush clothing in closets thread, that this would be really helpful for.

You're right about the dailies forum, I just did what I should have done in the first place and read the posting guidelines :whistle: So yeah, I should edit my previous post if I'm still the last poster. I'm guessing the answer's going to be the same for you, too. It's a shame there's no controlled means to bump up time sensitive voting threads without violating the rules, but they can only do what the forum software allows. That last post edit making the post show on the recent activity option is a nifty function though. Helpful. Does it do it solely for last posts in the thread though, or any posts?

On the forum I work on we got our owner (that is to say, we nagging incessantly until he did it <.< >.>) to add an auto-merge function so we could do away with the double posting rule, that saves a whole lot of newbies from gaining needless warnings. Our forum's run on vBulletin software though and there's an enormous amount of verified add-ons available on the vBulletin website, plus he's a top end coder so that kind of thing's easy for him, he could code something like that himself in 5 minutes, if he could be bothered >.>

Of course when it's you who's making the rules for somewhere you have the freedom to set things as you wish, so it's odd for me to be viewing things from the other side of the fence on here! >< It would be cool though, for your kind of purposes if there was a means to add something to legally help people maximise the chances of their voting thread being noticed, but who knows if there is anything? Having different rules in different forums is never a good idea, and that's the only code free option, probably. But stuff like that would just cause needless confusion and people getting warnings they wouldn't have got otherwise. I guess a lot of your problem's down to there not being many active people to see your thread in the first place? As a newbie on here I know I've not explored everywhere yet, nowhere near, there's a lot of forums that I've not even looked in yet.

I seem to have rambled on a bit here... :ph34r:

jellysundae: Yeah the double-post rule still applies, since we don't want the threads to get messy when an edit works just fine.

siniri: We've actually been contemplating making a general CC thread to avoid problems like too many threads or someone's topic getting bumped off fairly quickly. We're not sure what the end results will be, but we can certainly give it a try.

As far as coding an auto-merge feature, I don't believe we have the means for that right now. It might be an option somewhere in IPB's settings, but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask Ian about it.

A general CC thread would be worth a try, wouldn't it, just to see how it went. Would people be able to do things like quote their entry post to bring it back to the head of the thread? Hmm, I don't envy you guys having to work out the logistics for things like this ^^;

A brief poke at Google says there is an auto-merge option in the Admin CP, that's nifty that this software has it by default. Oh, but it looks like it might be an all or nothing thing, with no override ability so people like yourself can have consecutive posts in a guide and so on, so not as helpful as it could be, oh well. Grinds my gears when functionality isn't actually that functional ><

Oh whoops I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry!