Wahhh oh my gosh. I'm getting a puppy :)

Kute

So I'm really excited. I've never had a dog before. Its a red and white Australian Shepherd. He was born yesterday. I get to pick him up on March 30th in New Mexico. It's basically 18 hr drive round trip to get him, but I think its worth it plus I love traveling around. What kind of advice do you guys have for a new dog owner? I've only ever had cats so this is completely new!

I'm really excited to know what his eye color will end up being once he opens his eyes. Its possible because of his breed they'll be blue or one blue one brown.

Here is a newborn picture of the little nugget that the lady sent to us today. I love how the tip of his tail is white. So cute.ScreenShot2015-02-03at63750PM_zps26abe9d

this is how he'll traditionally look grown up

Buckeye_1.27141923_std.JPG

I love his socks. That ride back should be interesting. I remember the first time we brought our second dog in a car (after we bought her from her previous owner) but she licked my dad from his neck to his hair line. That was the funniest thing I have ever seen because my dad only got the dog to keep us kids happy.

Dogs are amazing and will love you no matter what. Just get them exercise and love them. I am happy for you and I hope that day comes as quickly as possible as I know it is hard to wait on things like that.

exercise, discipline, affection. and dogs should have manners, im not a dog person, but a lot of dogs lack those things- i dont blame the dogs, i blame the owners..

enjoy New Mexico while you are here! eat some red or green chile. not trying to get nosy and stalk you, but if i knew in what part of NM you;ll be travelin' in, i could tell you the best place to eat / sight see.. but that would only work if i were familiar with that area..

Its Luna, NM. Thanks for the tips :) I plan on giving it lots of training.

I love his socks. That ride back should be interesting. I remember the first time we brought our second dog in a car (after we bought her from her previous owner) but she licked my dad from his neck to his hair line. That was the funniest thing I have ever seen because my dad only got the dog to keep us kids happy.

Dogs are amazing and will love you no matter what. Just get them exercise and love them. I am happy for you and I hope that day comes as quickly as possible as I know it is hard to wait on things like that.

Haha yea i'm anxious for the car ride. Thank you so much for your kind words :) its appreciated.

That puppy looks really... Kute. :woot:

I imagine dogs require more maintenance than cats, and like when someone has a baby, one ideally should work with and learn from an expert in person. Your new dog will be a relatively large commitment, so I hope you realize and plan to do what it takes to keep your dog physically and mentally healthy.

It sounds like you already have thought about what I am talking about, but one of my friends was born handicapped and went to great lengths to raise her current service dog. According to her, she spent months searching for a dog with a temperament she liked and even more of her time conditioning/training it. It is happy with its lifestyle and very good at ignoring other people and objects like it was trained to do, but even its discipline has limits and I see that manifest through quite a few of its actions. Of course, you are raising your dog as a pet, but I always worry that dogs will not be cared for enough and I have learned to notice symptoms of it in others' dogs too.

PUPPY PROOF!!!!! Seriously they will chew everything from walls to furniture and floors while cutting teeth.

Well, you should know that the first months could be tough. Puppies are like kids, they just have to do what they do to grow up :) Even though you teach him, you can't be spared from pissed floors, chewed shoes etc. Just take it easy, it will pass :)Then I think this breed is very clever and follows orders once trained. Dogs need training, they need to know their place in the hierarchy, otherwise they take the lead. You can give them plenty of affection but don't feel guilty when you have to make them wait for you, sit, stay etc instead of allowing them running wild, sleep in you bed and so on. And you have to walk them AND play with them, they need it :)

A piece of advice - don't feed and walk them afterwards, it's bad for their stomach; try to walk them first.

Overall - be patient. Be firm. Be gentle. And have fun, I'm sure he'll be a great dog and he's just gorgeous in that picture!! Cute little treasure! Congrats!

Such a cute little darling!

I would have to say that Aussies are FULL of energy, being a herding breed. They can be taught obedience fairly easy but when it's older you have to let them know that a friend to you, but stranger to them in your house is "ok".

I would also ask the breeder if they have genetic testing on the pup, as Aussies can have some issues with certain meds and anesthetics.

Other than that, I wish you good luck with your new pup ^__^

Congrats! What a little cutie he is! I'm glad other people have been able to give you some great advice 'cause I don't have any myself :*

I hope the car journey goes well, is it likely to be his first time in a car, or will the breeder give him a few car experiences first?

Congrats on your pup! He looks very cute :).

I would really like a dog of my own, but I'm far too busy at the moment...

The best advise I can give you is to be consistent in how you treat him.

A dog takes a lot of training and discipline, but if you're consistent in the way you treat him it is totally worth it!

Good luck and have fun with him :D!

I wish I could turn my dog into a service dog so i could take him everywhere, disneyland included :woot:. Thank you all for the kind wishes. We own 2 acres, so i know he'll get plenty of exercise. My bestie has an older mini aussie. I can't wait to have puppy play dates with them at the beach:P (:

The other thing ya'll are saying is patience. Gosh i know its going to be SO hard to handle the nugget for the first 6 months hahah. I can't wait to start training him day 1. Good thinking about the strangers coming into the house. :thumbsup: I read through everyones comments. Some twice even. Thank you all!

Isn't that the cutest!!! oh my gosh :D I love puppies but after a week or so with them, I'm just so excited for them to grow up..they can be a pain!!

You sound like you are going to be a great owner! Just make sure you keep him up to date with his vaccines, make sure he gets his parvo vaccine as soon as he can (I've seen the disease take far too many pups). Dogs can rake up a much higher vet bill than any cat.

but dogs are so much fun <3 The last puppy I had was a high energy Brittany Spaniel...but we also had a lot of land for her to run around in :) Unfortunately she passed from something completely unpreventable (I blame the "breeders")

Aaaaaawn, look at that pink nose and those cute little paws!!! I love puppies, they're so squishy and warm <3

Enjoy him, 'cause he's gonna grow up so fast you'll barely notice it and you'll miss it! Even though this breed gets so beautiful all grown up... :)