Stock Market: random or based on real numbers?

cosmic_autumn

Hi! I have a question about the Neopian Stock Market.

Are the numbers of the stock based on how people actually buy or sell stock within a company, or do the stocks rise/fall randomly?

Thanks for the help! A side note: My account is relatively new (lost password to old account from early 2000's, made up a random birthday because I was a stupid kid haha), but I'm trying this time around to make more NP than I did in the past. My favorite thing to do is make NP on Neopets, and my goal is 10mil NP (Ultimate Riches! Bank Account), and I've read that the Stock Market is a good way to do that in the long run. I'm new to the TDN Boards and I hope to make some friends here, too :)

Have a cheerful sunday!

I've wondered that too; whether stock value is basically user controlled, or entirely down to code. I'd guess it's all code though, just to make it controllable/to prevent exploitation, but I don't actually know.

The Stock Market used to be user controlled, but it changed a long time ago.

Some groups of people used to take advantage of the fact that you could influence the stocks, that's why they changed it.

Like you guessed, it's completely random now :).

I guess the stocks could be influenced by people mass buying stock to make it more valuable.

Wow! I never thought about it being code. That would make the most sense, because I could see how the Stock Market could be exploited by a few very rich Neopians. That wouldn't be very fun for everyone else… LOL! I'm sure staff does monitor numbers and suspicious activity on the stocks though!

It's been mentioned already, but I've also heard that the stock market used to be influenced by users purchasing stock, and that it doesn't work that way anymore to prevent abuse of the system.

The stock market is random in that you can't predict which stocks will go up and down and by how much, but it still has some consistency (for example, certain stocks like VPTS and KSON tend to stay high).

Wow! I never thought about it being code. That would make the most sense, because I could see how the Stock Market could be exploited by a few very rich Neopians. That wouldn't be very fun for everyone else… LOL! I'm sure staff does monitor numbers and suspicious activity on the stocks though!

I'm not sure why the staff would monitor the numbers on the stocks? They mentioned in one of the past editorials that they have no influence over it, so unless someone hacked the script or there is a glitch they probably won't need to look at it :).

I'm kind of horrified that it used to be controlled by the sales. I'm guessing that was a long time ago? Because that's a pretty naive thing to do, so it had to have been before Neo got big and people started trying to cheat/manipulate/exploit anything they could. If the stock market was a new thing now there'd be endless safeguards coded in by default ><

It would be kind of cool if you had to genuinely play the market, but also, some people would get crazy mad when they lost m/billions of NP during crashes and so on, and it would be a big risk to buy shares, so I'm glad that it's not done that way now ^^; I know I'd not be brave enough to go near it if it was!