Seeing a therapist

Psmucker3

If you're in school, most schools have resources, or at least information about resources, local to you. If you're out in the workforce, many employers have "work-life balance" type programs that you may have access to. If you have a doctor, they might also be a good first step. Knowing where to look doesn't really take the nervousness away - only you can make the decision to act despite it. Life can be scary and overwhelming - and most everyone has experienced a time or two where they couldn't figure out the next step to take. There's no shame in it. Just look around for the resources you have access to and pick one.

If you feel like you should go to a therapist, then I think you should. I see a therapist right now for anxiety, and I've been making slow but steady progress towards coping better with things. Don't expect immediate results, but the right therapist can absolutely help you change your life. malskept has good advice about who you can contact, and if those routes don't work, another way to find a therapist is to check through your health insurance, and see who they cover.

And when I get nervous about contacting people, I just tell myself that, for the most part, people are kind and helpful, especially healthcare professionals. Or maybe if you have a friend or family member you can ask to help support you through the process of finding a therapist, that can be helpful too.

I wish you all the best, and if you think it will help, you can message me. I'm usually online at least once a day. And everyone here at TDN are very supportive as well.

Seeing a therapist is honestly the best thing anyone can do. Seriously, if everyone in the world had therapy, we'd be much less confused and problematic! Just remember to look for a real psychologist, a licensed one. Don't settle for social workers or things like that. Go to a professional.

I want to agree with pretty much everything written here... but also want to say that if this one time you're trying therapy doesn't work out 100% perfectly, don't give up! I wasted years when I could have been getting better and improving myself because I didn't click with one therapist I tried and thought it wasn't worth the effort. I recently finally got the courage to give it a shot again, and have such AMAZING results. I know that it might seem really, really uncomfortable, but if you just aren't feeling like the person you're meeting with is the right fit, don't be afraid to tell them and they are more than happy to help you find someone that might work out better. Or just try a new one. They're used to it... promise.

And if I can give you any advice, answer any questions, or you just want to chat... I'm here way more often than I should be. Let me know!! And best of luck!! You really are taking a great step for yourself. (sorry that everything I said is super cheesy... it's true.)

I think I should see a therapist. I've been feeling very unmotivated and down for the past weeks and I can't seem to get back up. I'm too nervous to contact anyone about it. what should I do?

You may need therapy, or you may not. Some people get depressed in winter (Google Seasonal Disorder). It could be physical. Has there been any change in your routine, new stresses, different schedules, other food? Since you didn't mention any underlying emotional issue, such as unresolved fears, inner pain, or past abuse or neglect as a child, I'd focus first on a physical solution before seeking a counselor. But actually, a trained psychiatrist or psychologist might look for a physical cause first anyway. I know some people feel better after getting rid of sugar and eating healthier, such as protein shakes and vitamins in place of fast or processed foods. I also think that some depressed people are very hard on themselves (maybe because a parental figure was hard on them growing up). Tell yourself you're doing fine, and working as hard as you can. Give yourself permission to have fun, and watch funny TV shows and movies for a week. :laughingsmiley:

I agree with what everyone else has said, and I want to add on with user rowtiderow that if you don't find the right person, keep looking. It's important to talk to a professional that you are comfortable with, so don't be discouraged if your first go doesn't help. I had to go through 3 therapists to find one that was good for my situation, and I'm very happy that I kept sticking it out because that's how I made a full recovery with some things I was battling for years.

I am keeping kind thoughts for you, and I hope that everything works out. The first step is always the hardest, but I'm so proud of you for taking it and I wish you all the best. <3

I would research first, look for the therapists nearby. I understand that it is hard to make and approach for the first time, but looking for information doesn't compromise you to anything. There is not much to add to what it has been said here for my part. Just good luck with that, I hope you find the right one on the first try, and that you feel better too.

I don't have anything helpful to add, but the very best of luck in getting a better handle on your life. Hopefully you making this thread is a step in the right direction for you. :)

I agree with everyone else also. A professional could really help you overcome this funk, but just remember, whatever you are facing, you CAN overcome it. It just takes time, patience, and confidence that you can. I send you love and best of luck in your situation, hun. :)

Making that call is one of the scariest things in the world. There is so much stigma about seeking therapy, and yet mental health issues are currently the leading cause of disability in the world. No one is going to judge you. No one even has to know besides you and your therapist. And you only have to share that which you're ready and comfortable with sharing. And making that call is the first step to getting better. None of this takes away the fear, I know, but I hope you're able to make the call soon.