Even more child-friendly?

chizLemons

Since the news about the layoffs the writing style of the news changed drastically! I've been reading some boards and it seems a lot of people are optimistic about the changes because "they're trying" but...I'm getting the impression that they're making it even more child-friendly than before. Most of the recent news are saying something about a pet species like "Lupes are Brave! Zafaras bring luck! Read this old Neopedia article about Scorchios!".

How do you feel about them now? Do you think it's going to be this way now or is it just temporary? Back when Jumpstart bought neopets, snarkie said they were interested because "the audience is older"...do you think that still might be the case?

Personally I think there is a lot of potential for the site right now, but we are going to have to wait and see ^_^

As far as the news being a little lackluster, again, I have a feeling that things will get better. It seems like news updates haven't been written consistently by the same person since the restructuring of the staff - if you look closely at the writing styles it sounds like there have been multiple authors - which could mean that they are still looking for the right person to fill this spot. It also seems like staff members who aren't super familiar with the site have been asked to do the updates which could explain why they're floundering for content.

The news is one of my favorite parts of the Neopian day so I'm hoping we get some updates like we're used to soon!

I'm just worried they'll make the site so kid orientated that it'll make it boring and/or not fun for the older demographic who already play on Neopets.

That's my main concern.

My second concern is that they'll make more words "censor" words.. not just grape and skill, but possibly even the word fuchia.

i've actually been enjoying reading the news lately because it's amusing to see how they're struggling with a smaller content staff. a bit evil of me, i know. i hadn't noticed the shift in tone, because i'd just been attributing it to the news writer trying to fill up the same amount of space with less content and thus resorting to long-winded talk about zafaras.

Since the news about the layoffs the writing style of the news changed drastically! I've been reading some boards and it seems a lot of people are optimistic about the changes because "they're trying" but...I'm getting the impression that they're making it even more child-friendly than before. Most of the recent news are saying something about a pet species like "Lupes are Brave! Zafaras bring luck! Read this old Neopedia article about Scorchios!".

I noticed that tone and I don't think they're trying to make the site more child-friendly. I think this is simply because the new guys know nothing about Neopian lore, and this is their (very weird) attempt to try and show they actually do know some stuff.

Like, "See, guys? We know that Zafaras are supposed to bring luck! We totally took the time to go and read about in in the Zafaras' page! We totally know this and that about Lupes and Scorchios! See, we're trying! See?"

Yes, it sounds really weird. But still, that's what I think they're doing.

I noticed that tone and I don't think they're trying to make the site more child-friendly. I think this is simply because the new guys know nothing about Neopian lore, and this is their (very weird) attempt to try and show they actually do know some stuff.

Like, "See, guys? We know that Zafaras are supposed to bring luck! We totally took the time to go and read about in in the Zafaras' page! We totally know this and that about Lupes and Scorchios! See, we're trying! See?"

This so much. They're trying to find some sort of personality and "prove" they know what's going on. Of course we know better and think it looks foolish, but they're trying none-the-less.

That said, I don't think the site is kid orientated at all to begin with. JS said that they acquired the website because they were interested in the older player base so I don't think they would abandon their money maker by making the website for 5 year olds instead.

This is what I've been thinking too, so I'm glad someone who actually read the news before and can see the difference thinks this too. It must be tough for the people writing the content now, they're lucky there is a wealth of info out there for them to read or they'd be really stuck!

I'm just worried they'll make the site so kid orientated that it'll make it boring and/or not fun for the older demographic who already play on Neopets.

That's my main concern.

My second concern is that they'll make more words "censor" words.. not just grape and skill, but possibly even the word fuchia.

I've already run into the grape problem. I think they're reaching when they censor words like grape and skill.

Also, since the arrival of NC to the site, it's become a silly option to turn the site to younger audiences. Think about it: who's got the most potential to spend money on NC? A minor who doesn't have their own money and has to rely on their parents' willingness to lend their credit card for some "silly online game"? Or a working adult who's got their own money/credit card and can spend as much as they want, anytime they want?

What does "even more child-oriented" even mean, we already can't type out half of the dictionary because of word filters and in case you hadn't noticed, this is a site where you "adopt" colorful cartoon creatures (and nowadays even dress them up in pretty clothes like a dolly). It's hard to get more child-friendly than neopets already is. And what's so bad about "child friendly" anyway? I tend to prefer child-"oriented" media in a lot of cases anyway because they tend to leave out stuff I don't like (romance and such).

What exactly is the dreaded outcome here? People are afraid they're going to start trying to teach us our ABCs or something?

What exactly is the dreaded outcome here? People are afraid they're going to start trying to teach us our ABCs or something?

that would be one possible outcome, yes. much like why adults watch certain shows on cartoon network but skip the ones on, say, nick jr., there's a difference between sites that cater only to children and those that recognize they have an adult audience as well. any provider of entertainment risks losing part of its demographic when some of its audience suddenly feels alienated. of course, it's up to the company whether or not they want make these changes for whatever possible gains in revenue. people are just expressing their concerns that neopets is moving in a direction in which its adult audience no longer matters to them when creating content, and we'll be seeing a site that is infantilized to the point where we feel we don't belong.

that would be one possible outcome, yes. much like why adults watch certain shows on cartoon network but skip the ones on, say, nick jr., there's a difference between sites that cater only to children and those that recognize they have an adult audience as well. any provider of entertainment risks losing part of its demographic when some of its audience suddenly feels alienated. of course, it's up to the company whether or not they want make these changes for whatever possible gains in revenue. people are just expressing their concerns that neopets is moving in a direction in which its adult audience no longer matters to them when creating content, and we'll be seeing a site that is infantilized to the point where we feel we don't belong.

THIS. That's the difference between, for example, classic Disney movies, which deal with very complex themes (death, family conflicts, even lust) while still being adequate to children, and Disney Junior cartoons, which focus more on children's messages such as loving to learn, respecting differences, taking care of the environment etc (or sometimes even just being cute enough for toddlers).

That's the difference between, for example, classic Disney movies, which deal with very complex themes (death, family conflicts, even lust) while still being adequate to children, and Disney Junior cartoons, which focus more on children's messages such as loving to learn, respecting differences, taking care of the environment etc (or sometimes even just being cute enough for toddlers).

I hardly think death and family conflicts are inappropriate subjects for children, handled tastefully. In fact I'd say it's important for children to be exposed to them.

Additionally, I've known plenty of adults who could stand a lesson or two about loving learning, taking care of the environment, and respecting differences. In fact I've met very few who DON'T need those very "lessons."

That said, I can sort of get where you're coming from, it's just that I hardly think Jumpstart is going to turn Neopets into the next Dora the Explorer or whatever. In fact, I would have expected that sort of thing back when Neopets was actually owned by Nickelodeon (or Viacom, whatever). And I don't see any indication that this is in danger of happening.

I just really feel like people are blowing things out of proportion and it's creating this echo chamber of needless panic and pessimism. Not to say that I'm in favor of putting your head in the sand and ignoring bad signs or anything, but seeing bad signs where there are none or taking bad signs and blowing them up from molehills into mountains isn't going to do anything but stress you out.

I hardly think death and family conflicts are inappropriate subjects for children, handled tastefully. In fact I'd say it's important for children to be exposed to them.

Well, that's exactly what I mean... Disney can treat those subjects on their movies and still make them adequate for children. So can Neopets.

i personally found the news updates cute, in a awww bless they're trying so hard! kind of way. i agree with leverhelven; they're trying to seem like they know a lot about the lore so they seem like its the normal staff who've been there so long when really we know it isn't.

while the in-word filters annoy me, i personally don't care if neo becomes more or less kid-friendly. if they go for the more adult approach (unlikely) it wont bother me, if they go for the kid approach it wont bother me. im neutral. there are many places on the web i can talk about 'adult' subjects if i wish to, why do i need my kids virtual pets site to allow me to do that?

I felt the same way about the news updates -- the whole, at least they're trying bit. JS could come in and replace most of TNT and they could not even try to learn all the content from the last odd 15 years just.. do their own thing which would be very frustrating. I DO hope they fix the filters but the way I understand it that was not on JS but was a glitch which occurred somewhere in the transition process and hasn't been fixed? One of many?