Neopet Etiquette

Kennigma

On TDN Trading Post Reselling guide it recommends using an inexpensive junk item, like a Palm Fan, instead of a trash item, like a Pile of Dung.

Offering trash can be seen as disrespectful. If a trade recieves two offers of equal NP, but one is offering trash and the other junk, the junk trade is more likely to be chosen, despite the values being the same.

This got me thinking on game etiquette despite my limited social interaction in-game. I do not belong to a guild, use the Trading Post or the Neopets Forums often. The majority of my interactions with other players takes part on this forum where I mostly lurk.

Like I mentioned before I do not have cause to use the Trading Post often but today I received a prize from one of the wheels that exceeded the 100k shop limit. I put it on the Trading Post for a pure NP price, 5k less than the lowest competitor, and was surprised when I received an offer within a few hours of the pure NP price plus two red codestones. Depending on that players finances those red codestones could have meant nothing to them, but still, they mean quite a bit to my humble bank account and easily surpass the 5k difference. In addition to helping them win the bid it was also a really nice gesture and put a smile on my face.

Now I think that it would be spammy to send a thank you message to people who spend over 1,000 NP in your shop and show up in your Sales History, but what about a large Trading Post sale? I was on my phone when I accepted the offer and I can't figure out how to pull up my event messages (lol, noob), so I am actually just asking for the future. Have you ever sent a thank you for a similar situation or would you be annoyed by a message from a stranger like that?

Is there any other Neopet etiquette you can think of aside from simple forum etiquette that might be beneficial to someone like me? I'm probably looking way too much into this but I play a lot of Xbox LIVE and MOBA PC games with very rude players. This is the only game I play with non-toxic players and I want to adjust accordingly. =]

Thanks!

For me, it's hard to give a straight answer on this one. Personally, I like when I get a random nm from a stranger (usually stemming from the fact that my shop references Penn State). So I think I would be happy to receive a thank you from someone, but I'm sure there are players who don't.

Realistically, everyone has the ability to block non neofriends from mailing them, so I would say if you feel like you want to reach out to someone for doing something you appreciated then go for it ^_^

Hm, I may be a bit different. I tend to not like neomails about transactions since I view buying/selling anything as a business deal. Once it's done, I'm happy and want to go about my merry way without any social obligations.

As to the offers on trading post lots, junk items don't bother me, as long as they have the pure I asked for. I can't stand when people offer something like 5 junk items on an expensive lot. Some people may legitimately not know the value of the lot, and then an apology email from them is appropriate if they realize their error, but other people do that to try and trick someone into accepting >.>

The one thing I can think of off-hand that I do like getting neomails about is if I lend someone an avatar item. Say someone makes a board on the AvChat, I send the item over, and they send it back once they have the avvie. If all that happened and no thank you in response, I'd be a bit miffed, like I went out of my way to do something nice and they can't even say thanks :P I absolutely adore those thank you emails! The best ones are when someone is so excited to finally get the avatar; just brightens up my day that they're so happy! It's different than an email about a trade transaction, though, since a transaction is business and a lend is a kindness.

I personally choose to send thank you NMs to people who purchase items from my shop as a way of expressing my gratitude. I see it as polite business etiquette. Wouldn't you say thank you to someone who had just recently purchased, for instance, a few clothes and a pair of shoes from your departmental store in real life? Also, I've had a few replies to those NMs, with some saying that they appreciate that I took the time to write them a NM, that it made their day, and that they'll be back for more. This in turn makes me happy. Manners maketh man (and a few potential repeat customers too). (Y)

Like a couple other people here, I personally don't mind someone sending me a thank-you neomail, so I guess the worst that could happen is that they don't respond!

Though I do remember a few years ago, I adopted a pet that had been stuck in the pound for quite awhile and painted him Disco, and about a week later I got a message from a user saying that it had been her little brother's pet and he was really worried nobody would adopt it, but he saw that I had and that I'd painted him and that made him really happy so she sent me a thank-you xD I guess it just depends on the circumstance!

Once someone bought a grey paint brush from me at auction, I was so thankful someone bought it and when the np went through to me I kept their username and sent them over some space faerie cupcakes, books and a few toys for their neopets.

I just was thankful and wanted to give back to them for buying something so valuable.

So now if I ever get a paintbrush or morphing potion worth over 55k I'll send them some goodies.

Thank you all for your replies! It doesn't seem like there is an unspoken rule one way or the other which is what I needed to know. I didn't even think about the Quest Forums; that's a really good idea! The two times I used it I just replied and said thank you in the topic, but I doubt they saw it. And I regret now that I didn't copy my buyer's username, so next time!

I've sent thank you's to people that I've dealt with on the Trading Post, particularly if they helped me reach a goal or bought an item I was tired of trying to sell.

Bri, I just checked out your shop to see the Penn State reference. My husband grew up near there and his family helped with parking cars for football games. I didn't know much about the school until we started dating. However my preference would be We are Marshall :p

I've never thought to send a thank you gift - I feel a little guilty!

And in trades I have also always offered the desired np with some cheap item. I never considered whether it was trash or not but I will now!

I'd appreciate a thank you, but not a neomail to try to ask me to lower my price unreasonably.

To some I may appear a rich player - 2 nice paints and a large gallery etc. But I find I am always saving for 1 item at a time, and a lot of my gallery and collections are inexpensive items. So I never just have a lot of stuff. Now I really would like a transparent pb for my unpainted pet, and the last scarab I need for my collection. These are lofty goals - I'm years away at this rate lol.

But these are interesting things that I will keep in mind when trading in the future!

I've never thought to send a thank you gift - I feel a little guilty!

And in trades I have also always offered the desired np with some cheap item. I never considered whether it was trash or not but I will now!

I'd appreciate a thank you, but not a neomail to try to ask me to lower my price unreasonably.

To some I may appear a rich player - 2 nice paints and a large gallery etc. But I find I am always saving for 1 item at a time, and a lot of my gallery and collections are inexpensive items. So I never just have a lot of stuff. Now I really would like a transparent pb for my unpainted pet, and the last scarab I need for my collection. These are lofty goals - I'm years away at this rate lol.

But these are interesting things that I will keep in mind when trading in the future!

I think people assume if your account is pretty old you're fairly well-off, which is not always the case XD

I'm just trying to upgrade my bank account to the next tier at the moment, and since I don't get to play much it's taking forever!

I always send thank you messages to people, for many different things, buying from my shop being one of them (UNLESS it's a case of one NP items in which I don't bother).