Traders

Just a little moan about a trader I came across today.

They had a few trades up, so I went to their look-up to check what else they were trading. Checked out the page, and I decided to add them as a friend. Anyway, I went to make an offer, and if turns out they have blocked me from trading with them. :O Why did she do that? Why couldn't she just reject the friend request and not block me completely?

Grr :thumbsdown: It's not like I was making Junk trades. Though it's not like she would know.. She blocked me before I could even offer..

*Sigh*.. Some people...

Could have been on accident since the buttons are pretty close if I recall correctly, then again, might not have been. Some people are hard to understand some times o.o I tend to try to avoid them all together most times. Forums are a different case xP

I have a note on my look-up that I'll block people who try to NF me without contacting me first, but I'm usually too lazy to follow through. If they send more than one NF request, then I'd block them. But I usually reserve blocking for people who make unfair offers on trades (or in the past, if they obviously quit on me in KQ just because I was going to win, or otherwise cheated by skipping turns, etc. -- if the game had been glitchy, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt).

I had a problem for a while with too many NF requests, after I won certain contests, or had a NF-only auction up. That's why I left the note on my user look-up, because these people wouldn't send me any messages, just NF requests, and when I checked out their accounts, they were often relatively new. That was when account stealing was a pretty big issue, so it was a matter of account security for me. I try to keep my NF list to actual friends -- people I interact with regularly, removing randoms that I auction with after the deal, etc. The note serves more as a deterrent, and it did cut back on the requests, though that might have been due to the amount of time since the big contest win...

From the user's perspective, they had no idea you wanted to offer on their trade; you were just a random person who randomly asked to be their friend. Now, if they had messages blocked to NF-only, then I don't quite understand their logic. But if possible, I recommend sending someone a message before sending a NF request, just so they know you're not a random scammer trying to hone in on their NF-only auctions or something.

I can understand. I realize now that I must sound like a petulant child that hasn't gotten their way. I made this thread in the heat of the moment. A little peeved at being blocked and what-not. I didn't really think it through before I posted.

But I do understand what you are telling me, I've gotten a few random requests myself. And I realize that I was rude in send a request without stating my intentions first.

I had never been blocked before, not in 11 years, until mid April when a pet lending chain I organized went wrong. Between being blocked and the pet lost I lost it. That I was on vacation and didn't have my computer gave me time and perspective. Now Im just peeved, but really glad I didnt go on the boards and rage rant.

@mtsparky: Ouch. Was that last sentence really necessary? It looks like you're passive-aggressively trying to be insulting. :/

Anyways, OP, I've had a similar experience! Once I accidentally sent the wrong trade to another user and she sent me back this awful message and blocked me before I even had the chance to explain myself.

I can understand. I realize now that I must sound like a petulant child that hasn't gotten their way. I made this thread in the heat of the moment. A little peeved at being blocked and what-not. I didn't really think it through before I posted.

But I do understand what you are telling me, I've gotten a few random requests myself. And I realize that I was rude in send a request without stating my intentions first.

No, you don't sound like a petulant child. There was an interesting thread a while back on Neopets etiquette (need to leave for work or I'd try to link it), and the consensus I got from that thread is that there is no single standard for Neopets etiquette. There are some established norms, but they vary wildly across subcultures on the site, and that can make for some misunderstandings. Add into that the many real-life cultures Neopians come from, and people will have different expectations and view interactions differently. I was just trying to offer you a counter-perspective to explain one part of one of the subcultures. Not trying to call you out or anything. Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic for discussion.

Could have been on accident since the buttons are pretty close if I recall correctly, then again, might not have been. Some people are hard to understand some times o.o I tend to try to avoid them all together most times. Forums are a different case xP

I try to avoid people as well. I don't have many neofriends at all. They are my boyfriend, cousin, my side account, and some random person who is helping me get the Neomail avatar haha