so cheaters do win...

Izumi

I recently checked up on the primary cheating websites for neopets just to see what they were up to and I realize that they select a team and then everyone else joins that team...and the teams that are picked are at all in the top three in this years altador cup. That's crazy!...thoughts? 

This topic has been edited by a member of staff (Anime).
The topic was posted in the wrong area.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been MOVED from Neopets General Chat to Altador Cup X (2015).

People knew which teams the cheaters were playing for pretty early on...and then no surprise, they started putting up crazy scores. Cheaters have always been pretty rampant around neo, but with something like the AC it just stands out a little more. Definitely not fair.

I remember years ago (lots of years ago), when I was a teen hearing th e expression *If winning wasn't everything then we wouldn't keep score*.  It made me think of all the cheaters. Winning does give us an ego boost. It lets us shine in the light for just that one small moment but I would rather lose the game than have to cheat to win. Cheaters only fool themselves and if that is the only way that the light will shine on them for that brief moment... well I wouldn't want to go through life being them. I haven't always won or come in 2nd but I have always been able to hold my head high knowing I have done my best.

Granny

Neopets is for us kids of all ages who like to escape, have fun and feel young. Cheaters get nothing more than points and prizes--which are really just blips on a screen. I feel sorry for them, since they miss out on something far more valuable than artificial numbers which they don't even care about anyway. I wouldn't trade places with them for anything. I have always enjoyed the cute characters and knowing that others out there have the same optimistic spirit that I believe in. :pope: Thank you, my friends.

I didn't know about cheaters groups but I learned this year. Too bad but thankfully now you get a gold trophy for your own dedication in the game, regardless of your team ranking, so I suppose that's more important. Still, I don't think I'll ever make All Star and get gold trophy, that's impossible for me, I have a life ;)

I knew about this for a while. This is (in addition to 1000000 more reason) why the bracket system is messed up. All the double round Robin cared about was wins a losses. Here its just about the points -_-

It's pretty obvious when all the teams are winning/losing by 4-3, 3-2, 5-4, etc. Then you have kiko lake winning by 23-2, 17-2, 21-3, etc.  Their numbers are just soooo high compared to every other team it is so obvious.  I was resigned to the fact that my team was not going to win the cup.  My mindset after a few days was to work on my rank, and when we won anything, I was happy.  lol

I picked team Kiko. This is the fifth time that I've picked them, because I like them. How would somebody cheat? If there was a conspiracy to pick a winner, they would pick one team as a clear winner, not three teams. If someone is going to cheat, they're not going to say, "Oh, I'll only cheat a little bit, just to make it fair."

I experienced the same thing yesterday; strange, because I can still submit points to be added to my stats today, but that may be a fault applying to just my end.

On that note, although rather irrelevant. I'm curious as to how some A.S. players cope with the inanity of A.C., HOW?! What with the severals bugs (running animation isn't present, opposing team remains frozen after the clock-work yooyu explodes, scoring goals when it wasn't anywhere near the net), and irksome features like the darigan/faerie yooyuballs; compounding all of that, it seems the skill arc on the npc team is broken, they start as dull-witted fops, only to end a game with them whipping your hide wielding unrealistic reflexes.

Teach me your secrets, or I fear I may be reduced to frothing delusional lunacy just to get a silly rank!

The Cup has been like this for so long that I've learned to just accept it.  I still got frustrated when my team lost, but I try to focus on my own rank instead of thinking too much about how my team is doing.  As much as I would love Maraqua to win, I wouldn't be able to feel totally happy about it if we didn't really earn it.  I feel bad for the people that have been supporting their team for years, because their win has to feel a little bit tainted.  I'd hope that I would be able to still look at my trophy and feel proud of my own contribution to the team, if I were in that situation.  To be honest, I don't even support All-Star groups that don't cheat.  It still doesn't feel like a legitimate win when they just recruited All-Star players to increase their chances of getting a winning trophy.

the fact JS does nothing to prevent cheaters is gonna destroy neopets in the end 

To be fair, this wasn't JS's issue, it's been like this for AGES. There are programs out there that can apparently do a LOT of stuff, games, shops, etc.

All we HONEST Neopians can do, is play fair and do our best. For the AC, we can only do our best for our team and personal scores. Though WHY the stats page is still up is a bit odd. If I recall correctly, in the previous ACs, when the AC ends, the main page talks about the judges tabulating the scores, etc etc. And our stats aren't available until they award the trophies and open the prize shop.

*Sigh* I don't know why people cheat. I play another game, a text-based war-sim game.. anyway, the old test version is still open to older players, but no new sign-ups for that older version. I understand one person has amassed over 500 player accounts. And uses them to do his bidding. I'm not naming things to protect myself, basically. lol I have but 1 account. Which according to the rules of that game, is all we're allowed. There was another game I used to play. Someone hacked my account while I was recovering from surgery and was unable to play. I try logging in after I returned home, and found not only was my account deleted, the e-mail I used was also banned. They didn't hack my e-mail, but they broke the 13+ character password I had changed just a month before for that game. Talk about a waste of 2 years of playing that 3D MMORPG game. I chewed out the people in charge, who did NO investigation, and said I'd never be back. I miss that game, and still remember some of the maps.... Oh well. I've never been so insulted in my life!

Anyway, yeah, cheaters can really ruin games for people. Sometimes, we can only do our best despite what they do. Get what fun we can out of games.

An idea is maybe they can make it where your team is randomized unless you played 2 years in a row. That would solve the cheating problem for team hoping. Then figure out who's cheating on one team boom there you go.

I picked team Kiko. This is the fifth time that I've picked them, because I like them. How would somebody cheat? If there was a conspiracy to pick a winner, they would pick one team as a clear winner, not three teams. If someone is going to cheat, they're not going to say, "Oh, I'll only cheat a little bit, just to make it fair."

From what I've read on the neoboards, the cheaters (there are several different groups, each pick a different team and the biggest one happened to pick Kiko Lake this year) use programs to send multiple scores at a time (using more than one account as well, I believe). It's really frustrating for everyone else involved, including (and perhaps most of all) all the honest players on Kiko Lake. (They'll probably pick another team next year though, which also explains why all the teams that have won in the past few years, suddenly don't do nearly as well the year after they've won.)

I personally don't understand the cheaters either. Why put so much effort into sabotaging a contest they obviously don't really care about? Seems kinda pathetic.

I'm just happy prize shop points and trophies reflect our own scores. :)

If cheating really matters to anyone, you can report the accounts that are cheaters. TNT will delete the account as soon as you report them.

I don't see how you can know they are cheaters. I assume TNT knows by looking at the IPs and the way the scores are sent, but I don't see a way for you and me to know. So reporting people only on the base of assumption is something I really do not like nor support. We all know how 'quick' frozen accounts are dealt with when the person was wrongfully frozen. Unless I'm totally absolutely sure, I wouldn't report anyone, risking to accuse innocent people and get them frozen.

From what I've read on the neoboards, the cheaters (there are several different groups, each pick a different team and the biggest one happened to pick Kiko Lake this year) use programs to send multiple scores at a time (using more than one account as well, I believe). It's really frustrating for everyone else involved, including (and perhaps most of all) all the honest players on Kiko Lake. (They'll probably pick another team next year though, which also explains why all the teams that have won in the past few years, suddenly don't do nearly as well the year after they've won.)

I personally don't understand the cheaters either. Why put so much effort into sabotaging a contest they obviously don't really care about? Seems kinda pathetic.

I'm just happy prize shop points and trophies reflect our own scores. :)

I wish our prowess at the games would count for something. Like Scores in the support games, or total goals in YYB. It MIGHT slow the cheaters down a little bit if they had a reason to score more per game. But yes, at least our points and trophies show what WE contributed to our teams. :)

I don't see how you can know they are cheaters. I assume TNT knows by looking at the IPs and the way the scores are sent, but I don't see a way for you and me to know. So reporting people only on the base of assumption is something I really do not like nor support. We all know how 'quick' frozen accounts are dealt with when the person was wrongfully frozen. Unless I'm totally absolutely sure, I wouldn't report anyone, risking to accuse innocent people and get them frozen.

If you go to ~AbsoluteCorruption, you can see all the top players etc. You can see their accounts by looking up their user names. The ACGs are very blatant with their cheating. Their accounts usually are one month old and it will say "robot" as their gender. Getting the top cheaters off a team really would hurt. KI reported some cheaters to protect Soonsm as the top player. I guess it is a lot of trouble to check constantly but if more people do it...

I didn't really think cheating was too big of an issue on the Altador Cup... Guess I was wrong. :s

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it sucks, but there's nothing you can really do about it.  Maybe just report them?  (I didn't do AC this year, so I don't know how rampant the cheating was.)

Either way, it's just a game and you get a trophy even if your team loses.  (I choose Moltara whenever I can, and I'm pretty sure they're dead last each time.)

I never heard of these cheating teams. Hearing about teams cheating makes me both angry and sad. I went with Virtupets this year, as I did last year. Two years ago I went with Altador. The two years before this year my team got 2nd place, and I worked really hard to make points for my team. This year was no different I played the games for HOURS to make points for the team making it to rank 10 before the end of AC. I feel bad for those like me who worked hard for their ranks and points, and those empty people who cheated to get a hollow victory in the end.  :thumbsdown: