Trudy's Surprise

Angeló

Quoth TNT in the Times

However, we will not be moving Trudy's Surprise to its own page. There are a lot of great daily activities on Neopets, but for a user who doesn't know about them, it can be hard to know what or where they are. We chose to have it pop-up so it would be easily available to players who are not as familiar with the other dailies hidden around the site!

What do you think about this ?

I think it's kind of dumb? But then again, people are getting lazier and more entitled all the time, so maybe putting a new daily where people don't have to make any effort what. so. ever. to know about it/find it is what the average human expects from TNT these days? . . . or maybe that's what they think people expect.

I really wish it would go to its own page. it's so damn BIG and in your face, it's like an insult almost. I don't need that being shoved at me as soon as I visit the site. It's like the Dailies equivalent of those sales people who jump on you as soon as you set foot in a store. (¬_¬)

I like it! Especially since I've been the one updating the guide lately. All I have to do is refresh the current page I'm on and go from there. I think it's great how they have a setting for disabling it on our side accounts that way we can't spin on accident.

It's free NPs and this way if it's the first thing that pops up when you load the site, you're more inclined to not miss a day. If you miss a day, you go back down to day one. I'm often on the site everyday but there are days when I forget to do my dailies so having Trudy's Surprise automatically pop up is a life-saver for me. :D

It's a little annoying, but I like the NP. lol

This is me in a nutshell, really xD

I think it will crash the neopian economy... before dailys were hard to find now this one is easy and can give 100k + NC giftboxes...

Nevertheless I think Trudy's Surprise is cool :

Yeah, I'm a little nervous about the impact it's going to have on the economy.

Speaking personally, right now it's meaning I don't need to make much effort to get the 15k to buy stocks, and if I don't miss a day, in a few days I'll be getting all the np I need solely from doing this daily, which means I can do just that then log out again if I'm so inclined. So yeah, Trudy could well end up being a game changer in more ways than one.

This is me in a nutshell, really xD

Yeah, I'm a little nervous about the impact it's going to have on the economy.

Speaking personally, right now it's meaning I don't need to make much effort to get the 15k to buy stocks, and if I don't miss a day, in a few days I'll be getting all the np I need solely from doing this daily, which means I can do just that then log out again if I'm so inclined. So yeah, Trudy could well end up being a game changer in more ways than one.

Trudy's Surprise kind of feels like a small monetary replacement for Habi and Key Quest. Also in a way kind of like a loyalty program, visit everyday and be rewarded. The economy was already doomed from Habi alone, so I doubt this will make much of a difference. Just means some of us don't need to play flash games as much to earn our daily quota of Neopoints. I for one don't really have time to play a bunch of flash games to earn enough for stocks or anything else I do daily.

I love how they're giving out gift boxes!! I'm personally too cheap to buy NC and having to buy GBC's to trade some unwanted items and possibly get stuck with more items I'd rather not have. I don't have access to NC cards, so I have to use my credit card which is not convenient.

Generally, I like Trudy's Surprise...AND the chance of winning gift boxes is really great!... but I agree that it is a little "in your face". While this makes it super easy not to miss, and starts your day off with a little np in your pocket for playing the wheels or visiting the Faerie Caverns... dailies that cost np...why not put it on the front page? If they're worried about newer players not being able to find it, placing it there would surely take care of that problem.

The idea of a daily that awards for consecutive visits is not new... JumpStart has been using this tactic for years on their other sites. If they're looking to attract "loyalty" players on neopets, they didn't have to look very hard. :laughingsmiley:

I don't really mind since it dissapears after you played. And you can turn it off if you don't want it to show up on your side accounts. But to me it feels a bit like cheating, all these free neopoints. Of course I'm pretty pleased with them and spend them on training or stocks immediately.

• 2 weeks later...

100,000NP on the 25th day no matter what you spin! WOO! :D

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.
This board is asking for opinions on it appearing on each page vs having it's own page. If you don't have anything to add to the topic, please don't post.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I'm all for it popping up.  Does anyone know if it only pops up 24 hours from when you last collected or it pops up at the start of the next day.  I seem to only be able to collect it after midnight, and I'm thinking it's because I collected it late one night, now I'm stuck collecting it after midnight until it resets.  And 100k? The most I've gotten is 19k

Unfortunately you probably missed a day which is why you didn't get the 100k. :(

You needed to play for 25 consecutive days in order to get the 100k prize. I can't be any help, as I always spin around the same time to collect info on the guides.

I'm all for it popping up.  Does anyone know if it only pops up 24 hours from when you last collected or it pops up at the start of the next day.  I seem to only be able to collect it after midnight, and I'm thinking it's because I collected it late one night, now I'm stuck collecting it after midnight until it resets.  And 100k? The most I've gotten is 19k

No official answer, but I believe it only pops-up 24 hours after you last played it. I must have missed a day, and since 7 Aug, it now only pops-up, for me, at 5 pm NST. It seems to have happened to Zafie, another TDN'er, who mentioned he did miss a day, and to grasythesanity.

For 100K, I've read posts where some have received on the 25th day, and I believe you can only receive 100K on the 25th day. For the 19K, Jellyneo's guide for Trudy's Surprise has it "capping" at 19K from day 10 onward, if you get two matching symbols.

I do like it popping-up, but it would be nice to have a link, so you can change the 24 hour time period, if you happen do play it late one night, as in your case. Hope this helps.

I wish they would set the Trudy's Surprise timing according to Neopets time. Instead of once every 24 hours. It's hard to keep track when I last spin it. :sad01_anim:

And I'll end up screwing up the consecutive spins I accumulated.

• 4 months later...

I like Trudy's Surprise. Yes the pop up can be a tad bit in-your-face-annoying but considering I often don't have time to play flash games and only do dailies most days then the free NP is a nice boost. I've been collecting Lab map pieces for years and the last peace has been out of my reach for a long time. I finally had enough NP to trade for it on the Trading post so Thanks Trudy!!!  

As for inflation, I've played Neopets since 1999 when it first started.  I lost my first account through hacking and I stayed away for about 3 years before finally giving in and creating a new account but I just haven't played the way I did before I lost it. Sometimes I go months without logging on.  The Neopets economy has experienced inflationary pressures from the beginning and I blame that on pure, unadulterated human greed.  We see spikes in price for 1 NP items and otherwise affordable items when they become important to the Coincidence Quest or is required for an avatar or some other event and I personally find the behavior of some players to be reprehensible and I deplore the elitist attitude of some  but unfortunately its a reflection of the real world. Would TS change the landscape? perhaps... it at least makes it easier for those of us who don't have the hours required to play flash games and generally lurk around Neo to earn NP which allows us to participate more in the Neopets economy.  I also agree that it may lead to more people playing more regularly on the site, making it a livelier place to be.  Maybe. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still on the fence.

On the one hand, it IS extra NPs everyday and since it's on a 24Hr timer, having it as a pop-up makes sense since it will be there as soon as the timer ends instead of me going to a separate page manually.

BUT, as I am usually on at roughly the same time to do my dailies, it can be annoying when I open multiple windows and it's on everyone of them. My computer has crashed more than once because of it  :sad01_anim:

Not too worried about inflation, it will stabilize eventually.

• 2 months later...

As a person, who lost their original account in 2009 and am back as a 4 month old; I actually like Trudy's Surprise.  I remember playing really hard for my NP back in the day, and to have the ability to save np much quicker to purchase things such as from The Hidden Tower, or invest in stocks is a big plus in my opinion.  :)

I agree that it's kind of annoying to be assaulted by the huge pop-up (is that even the right word?) when you first log on for the day--which, for me, is first thing in the morning and especially unpleasant. But like everyone else, I do appreciate the NPs. I hadn't realized until reading this thread that the amount increases each consecutive day; I'll have to make sure not to accidentally skip!

The daily takes maybe 10 seconds at the most to spin, so it's not like it's a huge hassle to spin it!

If you don't like it, it is easily blocked.

And for those saying it will break the economy, we have to remember that things like habi and kq used to exist.

With habi, you could do the bare minimum, click around a few times and earn up to 50-100k (I don't remember how much exactly) EACH DAY. 

Then there was KQ, where you had the chance to earn some pretty high end items.

Then there is Trudy, which in comparison to what could have been earned from KQ and Habi, isn't all that much.

Something I forgot to mention before in terms of Trudy's Surprise inflating the economy is that Neo has plenty of ways of controlling that. With faerie quests, the Employment Agency, and other similar activities, certain items are taken out of circulation, and it keeps their value up. Underwater Fishing flooded the site with Lesser Spotted Fish for a while, and then The Coincidence used a ton of them up and raised their value. 

Obviously those things have to do with items, not neopoints, but the same logic applies when you think about random events that take away neopoints, all the pay-to-play games and wheels where they could subtly increase the likelihood of players losing, etc. They could even lower the np ratio on games to make people work a little harder to make up for the "free" nps from Trudy.

And, like others have mentioned, it isn't as if other things (notably Habi and KQ) haven't interfered with the economy previously. It's been going alright for 15+ years, so I'm sure this won't be any big problem.