Life is starting and I'm not ready

emily_speck_15

I'm about to leave for college next week... and I'm kinda nervous.  My whole life I have lived at home and now I'm leaving for a college hours away and I am not sure how I will adapt.  I don't know my roommate and I still have to finish getting stuff for my dorm (planner, backpack, razors ect) and I still cannot find a good price on one of my textbooks online!   I am really nervous and unsure if I picked the right career for me.  I chose engineering and I think I will like it but I worry that it will be too hard for me.  It doesn't help that my family is now talking to my sister about colleges and are trying to steer her towards easier degrees so college is less stressful.  And I know I am smart enough to do engineering but will it be too much stress and work for me?   If I can barely get myself packed for college how will I succeed there?To make matters worse when I applied i chose this program which was engineering undecided but now if I don't have a 3.5 I can't get in to the mechanical program and my parents keep on saying it will be no problem for me since I have been an almost all A's student in high school but I'm still worried.  Any advice on getting ready for college and then subsequently not failing in college?

I'm about to leave for college next week... and I'm kinda nervous.  My whole life I have lived at home and now I'm leaving for a college hours away and I am not sure how I will adapt.  I don't know my roommate and I still have to finish getting stuff for my dorm (planner, backpack, razors ect) and I still cannot find a good price on one of my textbooks online!   I am really nervous and unsure if I picked the right career for me.  I chose engineering and I think I will like it but I worry that it will be too hard for me.  It doesn't help that my family is now talking to my sister about colleges and are trying to steer her towards easier degrees so college is less stressful.  And I know I am smart enough to do engineering but will it be too much stress and work for me?   If I can barely get myself packed for college how will I succeed there?To make matters worse when I applied i chose this program which was engineering undecided but now if I don't have a 3.5 I can't get in to the mechanical program and my parents keep on saying it will be no problem for me since I have been an almost all A's student in high school but I'm still worried.  Any advice on getting ready for college and then subsequently not failing in college?

YES, I do!!!  Hi, my name is Tracy.  I am a professional College student.  lol.  I started out in 1989 in Business Management. :sick01: All of my friends were doing that, and at THAT time, business was the big thing, so why not?  I hated business, I hated marketing, I absolutely couldn't get the hang of Accounting at all.  What I thought were debits were actually credits and what I thought were credits were actually debits.  So I figured, 'ok, if I think it's a credit, I will say debit, and if I think debit, I will say credit, that makes sense, because I am always wrong.'  Hmmm, nope, STILL wrong.  Forget it.  I also had to take a class in psychology.  I absolutely loved it!  So I changed my major from business management.  Since I was at the community college, the closest degree they had to psych was Human Services.  So I obtained an Associates degree in Human Services.  I transferred to a 4 yr college and got a degree in psych.  

The thing is, you are starting out in a 4 year college.  So, while you are technically matriculated into the engineering program, your first 2 years are core college courses with a few basic engineering courses thrown in.  So, you will take your English, Algebra, Science/biology, psychology, Statistics, sociology, Electives, etc.  So if you take a course or two of engineering during your first two years of school, and decide you DON'T like it or that it isn't for you, you can change your major very easily and your credits will still count toward your TOTAL credits.  How credits work is, for your Bachelors degree you need I believe it is 130 credits.  You have your core requirements, your major requirements, and electives.  Once you meet all of the requirements, any extra courses you have taken, like the engineering courses you found out you didn't like, will still go toward your total credits toward graduation.  So they aren't a total loss.  So, my advice, don't worry about it yet.  Go to school, have fun, do well, and figure out which courses you DO like.  As far as the roommate situation goes, that isn't in stone either.  If you get along, great!  If you don't, and you meet someone while you are there, you have the option to become roommates with that person.  First semester freshmen year is just an assignment by the school.  They don't know people so they assign them.  

For the text book, look for a used one.  Is it a brand new first time text book, or is it one they have used before?  The school store may have them used, other students may have one.  I know, text books can be very expensive :sad02: .

After my degree in psych, I went back to school and obtained an Associates degree in Nursing and then my Bachelors degree RN.  With all of my schooling, if I had gone straight through, I would be a doctor by now. :woot:   lol.  You WILL figure it out.  I promise!  

My advice is, take this time away from home to get to know yourself as an individual.  Learn how to live on your own, how to manage money, how to manage you time, your studies, and your life in a way that you can have fun in a limited, appropriate way, that allows you to still concentrate on the reason you are there.  Because when you truly get out there in the real world, it is a whole new experience.  You are lucky to get the opportunity to experience it in a sort of sheltered, educational way.  Good luck to you. 

Just take a deep breath dear, remember to suceed you need to breath, then DO. Getting materials is no big deal, most teachers will let the first week slide if you don't have your text book yet (depends on the professor). Don't worry about knowing your room mate, you'll either like them or you won't, at this point it is out of your hands and the best you can do is go in with a smiling face and get to know the person. As for worrying about your grades, that's good, it will keep you alert! Both in class and when you are doing homework. Just remember to not let worrying keep you from doing. Good luck to you dear! First times away from home are rough, but you can do it! :)

It's completely normal to feel nervous right before leaving for college! Make sure you take care of yourself, I know from experience that it's easier said than done, but taking care of yourself before will let things fall into place easier. It's good that you care about your grades, it shows that you have ambition, but don't worry so much to the point of breaking down. You're going to do great and have a lot of fun!! Best of luck to you!

It's totally ok to be nervous. This is a big life change! If your college is anything like mine then you will be in a freshman engineering class that will teach you programming, problem solving, how to think, and how to fail. (Yes that is correct. Some of our projects were almost impossible. Our grades were curved because when everyone fails together, the question is who got closer to succeeding.) If you decide that engineering isn't for you then it will be much easier to get out of engineering and into one of the other sciences than it would be to get into engineering from something else.

On the topic of grades, I would like to caution you that college is going to be different from high school. I was one of those straight A students who never had to work too hard or study very much. College classes are different. Some professors made homework optional or didn't force you to complete labs if you didn't finish them during the time allotted. You will still be tested on the material. You still need to know everything that has been covered. I'm not trying to freak you out. I'm just warning you that you may need to change your study habits in order to do well and you may have to change how you think about grades. A 'B' is completely acceptable and even an accomplishment depending on how hard you worked for it!

And finally, have fun!!!! Make friends with your roommate, if possible. Make friends with people on your floor or your classes and try to schedule times to meet up with people to eat together. Everyone has to eat and it's lonely to eat by yourself, so ask people if they want to eat lunch together after class or meet up for dinner. See what clubs are available to join and go to several before you decide what to stick with. I only had time to join one group during my freshman year because studying and homework consumed so much of my time. Once freshman engineering was over I was able to join a social dance club. That's actually where I met all of my closest college friends. So even if this year isn't so great, there's always next year!

One more random thing... When you're scheduling classes for next year, look at what you are actually required to take. Do you have to take econ or stats specifically? Or do you just need an elective? I was able to take some really fun classes because I chose my own electives that fit my degree requirements rather than just taking what everyone else took.

Hello!  Like everyone above me has mentioned--it's totally normal to feel anxious about starting college!  I, myself, am an especially anxious person.  I finished my undergraduate degree about a year ago, and it was an amazing experience.  As a freshman, I picked a high school classmate to be my roommate, but I think it's best to have a random roommate, which is what you're doing!  Become friends with your dorm/hallmates and your resident advisor!  You're being thrown into a completely unfamiliar environment and that is really good for personal growth; you will learn to expand your comfort zone!  Embrace the new things, breathe and take things one at a time.  At first, everything will feel overwhelming, but soon, as you will see, attending college will feel like second nature.  

About the textbooks....there is never that great of a price, sadly.  Textbooks are constantly changing and always really expensive.  Once you develop your network of friends and classmates at your college, you'll be able to borrow and buy from one another (someone might have taken Class A in the Fall and now you're taking Class A in the winter; great opportunity to ask for their textbooks, etc.!).  Check out Amazon.com, too!  

If you're feeling stressed about your major choice, that's also really normal.  Just know that there are resources out there for you to help manage this.  You can always talk to your academic advisor or even a school therapist!  Many students go to the school therapists just to talk about their stress, not necessarily a super traumatic event.  That's what they're there for!  :)  Also, a lot of students will change their major at one point, and that is also okay.  I entered university as a Social Ecology undecided major, considered theater, music, psychology, engineering, and finally graduated with a degree in English.  What I found especially helpful for stress was to talk to my professors.  By developing a good relationship with your lecturers, instructors and professors, you'll have a fantastic support system for your schoolwork.  Whenever I had trouble with an essay or something, I'd go and talk it out with my professor during office hours or appointment.  They'd offer insight, help me develop my ideas, and then I'd go home ready and confident to revise my essay!  Also, I've noticed that if you're attending office hours, you're demonstrating your interest and effort.  This will always benefit you in some way.  

Anyway, I've written quite a lot (college counseling/advising is a little unofficial passion of mine)!  I'd love to answer any more questions or concerns or talk about anything about college if you'd like -- you can just message me!  

Best advice for me to give and follow is to always ask for help. This was that hardest thing for me to learn in college and sometimes I still struggle with it even though I graduated almost 2 years ago. If you did well in school up to now, you'll probably still do fine, just keep in mind that college is different from high school and some things may be more difficult or easier in some cases. For me, I knew I chose the right major when I was looking forward to all my main classes even if they were early in the morning and had a lot of work in and out of class. Being away from home can be challenging; I barely "moved away" for college (30 minute drive), but I didn't have a car on campus so that I'd learn more about campus/dorm life. My first year was rough since my roommate and I didn't get along and I should've moved out at semester. I didn't join any clubs until my second year where I met the majority of my college friends. Overall, college can be scary but break it down into manageable parts as you would with a project and it can be very fun. Best of luck to you!

The college i go to is close to my house, but it can be really scary going off on your own. also, ask if your college rents books out, at our shop where you buy food and books and supplies etc, they let you rent books for the semester for about 70$, which is a really good deal. my boyfriend is taking the same class as me but on a different day, so we just switch off with that textbook, so try to make some friends :) college teachers are way different than high school teachers, they will always stay after to help you with something, and its a regular thing to go to tutoring for certain classes. to be honest i only did 2 years in high school and the rest online, and college is just so much easier for me, a big issue is you cant do anything dumb like cheat, cover up for someone by signing in when they missed class, or you fail that class and have to retake it. teachers honestly want you to do good, my grade in a class was close to an a so my teacher just bumped a few grades up on old assignments and i got an a! im studying in psych, once i get my AA i am going off to UCF which is a few hours away from home. i will be living with a friend because it is a lot cheaper than dorms. if you forget some stuff, dont sweat it, just ask to borrow from your roommate! dont be an annoying roommate and you guys will be best friends

My advice is, take this time away from home to get to know yourself as an individual.  Learn how to live on your own, how to manage money, how to manage you time, your studies, and your life in a way that you can have fun in a limited, appropriate way, that allows you to still concentrate on the reason you are there.  Because when you truly get out there in the real world, it is a whole new experience.  You are lucky to get the opportunity to experience it in a sort of sheltered, educational way.  Good luck to you. 

Never really looked at it in that light before.  I guess I get to try being an "adult" with the support if I fail.

Just take a deep breath dear, remember to seceed you need to breath, then DO. Getting materials is no big deal, most teachers will let the first week slide if you don't have your text book yet (depends on the professor). Don't worry about knowing your room mate, you'll either like them or you won't, at this point it is out of your hands and the best you can do is go in with a smiling face and get to know the person. As for worrying about your grades, that's good, it will keep you alert! Both in class and when you are doing homework. Just remember to not let worrying keep you from doing. Good luck to you dear! First times away from home are rough, but you can do it! :)

That is great to know! I am worried one of my textbooks won't make it on time (it will be close!)

It's completely normal to feel nervous right before leaving for college! Make sure you take care of yourself, I know from experience that it's easier said than done, but taking care of yourself before will let things fall into place easier. It's good that you care about your grades, it shows that you have ambition, but don't worry so much to the point of breaking down. You're going to do great and have a lot of fun!! Best of luck to you!

I will try.  I have a bit of a tendency to stay up later than I should but I don't have early classes every day :-D

It's totally ok to be nervous. This is a big life change! If your college is anything like mine then you will be in a freshman engineering class that will teach you programming, problem solving, how to think, and how to fail. (Yes that is correct. Some of our projects were almost impossible. Our grades were curved because when everyone fails together, the question is who got closer to succeeding.) If you decide that engineering isn't for you then it will be much easier to get out of engineering and into one of the other sciences than it would be to get into engineering from something else.

On the topic of grades, I would like to caution you that college is going to be different from high school. I was one of those straight A students who never had to work too hard or study very much. College classes are different. Some professors made homework optional or didn't force you to complete labs if you didn't finish them during the time allotted. You will still be tested on the material. You still need to know everything that has been covered. I'm not trying to freak you out. I'm just warning you that you may need to change your study habits in order to do well and you may have to change how you think about grades. A 'B' is completely acceptable and even an accomplishment depending on how hard you worked for it!

And finally, have fun!!!! Make friends with your roommate, if possible. Make friends with people on your floor or your classes and try to schedule times to meet up with people to eat together. Everyone has to eat and it's lonely to eat by yourself, so ask people if they want to eat lunch together after class or meet up for dinner. See what clubs are available to join and go to several before you decide what to stick with. I only had time to join one group during my freshman year because studying and homework consumed so much of my time. Once freshman engineering was over I was able to join a social dance club. That's actually where I met all of my closest college friends. So even if this year isn't so great, there's always next year!

One more random thing... When you're scheduling classes for next year, look at what you are actually required to take. Do you have to take econ or stats specifically? Or do you just need an elective? I was able to take some really fun classes because I chose my own electives that fit my degree requirements rather than just taking what everyone else took.

That is a great idea!  In high school I joined some clubs but not many and all the ones I joined I stuck with until the end of the year.

That is another fabulous idea.  I admittedly just took the schedule they gave me at orientation but next semester I will look into that.

Hello!  Like everyone above me has mentioned--it's totally normal to feel anxious about starting college!  I, myself, am an especially anxious person.  I finished my undergraduate degree about a year ago, and it was an amazing experience.  As a freshman, I picked a high school classmate to be my roommate, but I think it's best to have a random roommate, which is what you're doing!  Become friends with your dorm/hallmates and your resident advisor!  You're being thrown into a completely unfamiliar environment and that is really good for personal growth; you will learn to expand your comfort zone!  Embrace the new things, breathe and take things one at a time.  At first, everything will feel overwhelming, but soon, as you will see, attending college will feel like second nature.  

About the textbooks....there is never that great of a price, sadly.  Textbooks are constantly changing and always really expensive.  Once you develop your network of friends and classmates at your college, you'll be able to borrow and buy from one another (someone might have taken Class A in the Fall and now you're taking Class A in the winter; great opportunity to ask for their textbooks, etc.!).  Check out Amazon.com, too!  

If you're feeling stressed about your major choice, that's also really normal.  Just know that there are resources out there for you to help manage this.  You can always talk to your academic advisor or even a school therapist!  Many students go to the school therapists just to talk about their stress, not necessarily a super traumatic event.  That's what they're there for!   :)  Also, a lot of students will change their major at one point, and that is also okay.  I entered university as a Social Ecology undecided major, considered theater, music, psychology, engineering, and finally graduated with a degree in English.  What I found especially helpful for stress was to talk to my professors.  By developing a good relationship with your lecturers, instructors and professors, you'll have a fantastic support system for your schoolwork.  Whenever I had trouble with an essay or something, I'd go and talk it out with my professor during office hours or appointment.  They'd offer insight, help me develop my ideas, and then I'd go home ready and confident to revise my essay!  Also, I've noticed that if you're attending office hours, you're demonstrating your interest and effort.  This will always benefit you in some way.  

Anyway, I've written quite a lot (college counseling/advising is a little unofficial passion of mine)!  I'd love to answer any more questions or concerns or talk about anything about college if you'd like -- you can just message me!  

You would make a great counselor.  And I really do mean that.  You seem to know just what to say.

Best advice for me to give and follow is to always ask for help. This was that hardest thing for me to learn in college and sometimes I still struggle with it even though I graduated almost 2 years ago. If you did well in school up to now, you'll probably still do fine, just keep in mind that college is different from high school and some things may be more difficult or easier in some cases. For me, I knew I chose the right major when I was looking forward to all my main classes even if they were early in the morning and had a lot of work in and out of class. Being away from home can be challenging; I barely "moved away" for college (30 minute drive), but I didn't have a car on campus so that I'd learn more about campus/dorm life. My first year was rough since my roommate and I didn't get along and I should've moved out at semester. I didn't join any clubs until my second year where I met the majority of my college friends. Overall, college can be scary but break it down into manageable parts as you would with a project and it can be very fun. Best of luck to you!

That is a good way of telling.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I went to university to study music performance at a music school, and wound up being an English as a Foreign Language teacher, and about to start my masters in it. It's all about what you make of your journey :)

It is always good to here about people changing their mind.  So often people make it sound like we must know what direction we want our life to go in.

The college i go to is close to my house, but it can be really scary going off on your own. also, ask if your college rents books out, at our shop where you buy food and books and supplies etc, they let you rent books for the semester for about 70$, which is a really good deal. my boyfriend is taking the same class as me but on a different day, so we just switch off with that textbook, so try to make some friends :) college teachers are way different than high school teachers, they will always staThan you guys for everything you saiy after to help you with something, and its a regular thing to go to tutoring for certain classes. to be honest i only did 2 years in high school and the rest online, and college is just so much easier for me, a big issue is you cant do anything dumb like cheat, cover up for someone by signing in when they missed class, or you fail that class and have to retake it. teachers honestly want you to do good, my grade in a class was close to an a so my teacher just bumped a few grades up on old assignments and i got an a! im studying in psych, once i get my AA i am going off to UCF which is a few hours away from home. i will be living with a friend because it is a lot cheaper than dorms. if you forget some stuff, dont sweat it, just ask to borrow from your roommate! dont be an annoying roommate and you guys will be best friends

I'll try not to be!

Thank you guys for everything you said!!!  It was amazing to read your thoughts and advice for this year.  

Never really looked at it in that light before.  I guess I get to try being an "adult" with the support if I fail.

That is great to know! I am worried one of my textbooks won't make it on time (it will be close!)

I will try.  I have a bit of a tendency to stay up later than I should but I don't have early classes every day :-D

That is a great idea!  In high school I joined some clubs but not many and all the ones I joined I stuck with until the end of the year.

That is another fabulous idea.  I admittedly just took the schedule they gave me at orientation but next semester I will look into that.

You would make a great counselor.  And I really do mean that.  You seem to know just what to say.

That is a good way of telling.

It is always good to here about people changing their mind.  So often people make it sound like we must know what direction we want our life to go in.

I'll try not to be!

Thank you guys for everything you said!!!  It was amazing to read your thoughts and advice for this year.  

Emily,  I think everyone has given you amazing advice.  That is ONE of the MANY things I LOVE about TDN and TDNF.  Everyone here is super and super helpful.  They give great advice without being condescending at all.  Going to college and being away from home for the first time can be very scary.  Some of things mentioned that I do want to touch on a bit more, because obviously one person can't think of everything, but people hit on some great ideas.  First is what they call the Freshman 15.  It is where First year college students tend to put on weight.  15 pounds seems to be the average but some put on a lot more.  You are up studying a lot, stressed out, eating at different times than you are used to, namely like I said, while up late at night studying, your eating habits are different than when you are getting nutritious, home cooked meals and the pounds seem to creep on.  Make sure you are choosing healthy alternatives, lots of fruits, raw veggies to snack on, air popped pop corn, pretzels, yogurts, granola, corn on the cob is great when it is in season.  This may not sound great, but PLEASE give it a try.  Honestly.  Skip the butter.  Just try it.  I NEVER butter my CoTC.  I put salt on it only.  IF the CoTC is good, the salt brings out the natural flavor that the butter just otherwise hides.  CoTC has VERY few calories in it if you don't put butter on it and it is fabulous.  I love love love big huge fruit salads.  If you have a roommate go halves with you, you can buy a lot of fruit at a discount produce center, both of you cut it up together and it will last you a few days.  You can eat it alone, in cereal, in yogurt, or with dips.  Mmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmm.  Another fave dish of mine, boil some pasta, medium shells are the best.  Then in a frying pan, in about 2 tablespoons of oil, brown about a pound of cubed white meat chicken.  Add broccoli florets and sun dried tomatoes.  When the broccoli and chicken are cooked thoroughly, add Ragu's garlic parmesan sauce.  Reduce heat and simmer until heated thoroughly.  Add mixture to pasta, season with garlic salt, pepper, and tomatoes to taste.  mmmmm!  Don't forget the gym.  All colleges have a gym as part of your tuition.  Take advantage of it.  Not only will it keep that freshman 15 at bay, but it will help you to concentrate on your studies and help keep depression in check.

As another poster said, nobody will hound you to go to class or turn in your work.  you are a big girl now now and they will expect you to know what you need to do and when you need to do it.  If you don't want to do your work or you don't want to go to class, nobody is going to make you go.  Some classes don't have a strict attendance policy whereas others do.  But you ARE responsible for all materials in all classes.  It is up to you to learn what you need to learn however you need to do that.  As you have already found out, you don't have to schedule your classes every day, nor do you have to schedule them during the day.  You can schedule them in the afternoon, at night, two days per week, whatever works for you.  It is much different than high school.

You WILL figure out what works for you.  You WILL have a great time, and you WILL eventually say, "I can't believe I was so nervous." So, like everyone else said, relax, enjoy your college years.  They ARE the best years of your life and they go by very quickly.  Enjoy your spring breaks, take lots of pictures, and have fun.  But don't have so much fun that you end up regretting things either.  Be responsible about things.  There is a happy medium.  You will be FINE!!!  It is a little bit harder to get good grades in college, but in some classes it is easier.  As someone said, always ask for help.  Don't get behind.  That is never good.  IF you find you don't understand something but you don't want the question in class, ask right after class or during office hours.  All professors have office hours.  Find out all of your professor's office hours and write them down.  That way, if you are having difficulty, you can stop by at the appropriate time to ask.  As someone said, make friends in your classes.  Study groups are great.  i did that in my nursing classes.  I had to.  There is no way I could have gotten through the RN nursing program on my own.  That was a group effort.  Get phone numbers, get emails, etc.  Because you WILL have questions, whether it is about an assignment, a test, whatever.  Having that support is imperative.  Good luck. 

First and foremost, calm down.  You haven't started yet, so don't put so much pressure on your self.  Remember everyone who is coming in as a freshman is in the same boat as you, making it a perfect bonding experience.  You already have one thing in common, you're all new and in a new place.  Don't sweat the career path you've chosen.  You'll be starting off easy with your gened classes and adding classes that are for your major as you advance further in to your college career.  If it turns out you don't like the career path you've chosen, you can always choose another one.  That's what college is for, trying new things, to prepare yourself for being an actual adult.  JUST BREATH.  You'll do great.  Just walk on to campus like you own the place.  Confidence is a wonderful thing.  Even if you're not confident, just fake it until you make it.  It will give everyone else who is nervous a feeling of ease. 

Totally okay to be nervous.

Totally ok to second, third, and fourth guess your career/school plans.

You're type A, and fear of the unknown and inability to plan to your standards is freaking you out. Breathe. It will be okay. (Not a bad thing! I am the same way).

Just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you. Engineering is hard, but good hard. If you like it, it will go well for you. Make sure not to miss your engineering classes, or make friends with someone reliable you can get good notes from if you miss a class. If you hate it and find out it's not for you, guess what? You can change your plans :) Power of choice with many options.

College is the best time of your life. You get to learn independence while having a blast and meet new people to bond over everything you'll be going through. Best of luck!

Emily,  I think everyone has given you amazing advice.  That is ONE of the MANY things I LOVE about TDN and TDNF.  Everyone here is super and super helpful.  They give great advice without being condescending at all.  Going to college and being away from home for the first time can be very scary.  Some of things mentioned that I do want to touch on a bit more, because obviously one person can't think of everything, but people hit on some great ideas.  First is what they call the Freshman 15.  It is where First year college students tend to put on weight.  15 pounds seems to be the average but some put on a lot more.  You are up studying a lot, stressed out, eating at different times than you are used to, namely like I said, while up late at night studying, your eating habits are different than when you are getting nutritious, home cooked meals and the pounds seem to creep on.  Make sure you are choosing healthy alternatives, lots of fruits, raw veggies to snack on, air popped pop corn, pretzels, yogurts, granola, corn on the cob is great when it is in season.  This may not sound great, but PLEASE give it a try.  Honestly.  Skip the butter.  Just try it.  I NEVER butter my CoTC.  I put salt on it only.  IF the CoTC is good, the salt brings out the natural flavor that the butter just otherwise hides.  CoTC has VERY few calories in it if you don't put butter on it and it is fabulous.  I love love love big huge fruit salads.  If you have a roommate go halves with you, you can buy a lot of fruit at a discount produce center, both of you cut it up together and it will last you a few days.  You can eat it alone, in cereal, in yogurt, or with dips.  Mmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmmm.  Another fave dish of mine, boil some pasta, medium shells are the best.  Then in a frying pan, in about 2 tablespoons of oil, brown about a pound of cubed white meat chicken.  Add broccoli florets and sun dried tomatoes.  When the broccoli and chicken are cooked thoroughly, add Ragu's garlic parmesan sauce.  Reduce heat and simmer until heated thoroughly.  Add mixture to pasta, season with garlic salt, pepper, and tomatoes to taste.  mmmmm!  Don't forget the gym.  All colleges have a gym as part of your tuition.  Take advantage of it.  Not only will it keep that freshman 15 at bay, but it will help you to concentrate on your studies and help keep depression in check.

As another poster said, nobody will hound you to go to class or turn in your work.  you are a big girl now now and they will expect you to know what you need to do and when you need to do it.  If you don't want to do your work or you don't want to go to class, nobody is going to make you go.  Some classes don't have a strict attendance policy whereas others do.  But you ARE responsible for all materials in all classes.  It is up to you to learn what you need to learn however you need to do that.  As you have already found out, you don't have to schedule your classes every day, nor do you have to schedule them during the day.  You can schedule them in the afternoon, at night, two days per week, whatever works for you.  It is much different than high school.

You WILL figure out what works for you.  You WILL have a great time, and you WILL eventually say, "I can't believe I was so nervous." So, like everyone else said, relax, enjoy your college years.  They ARE the best years of your life and they go by very quickly.  Enjoy your spring breaks, take lots of pictures, and have fun.  But don't have so much fun that you end up regretting things either.  Be responsible about things.  There is a happy medium.  You will be FINE!!!  It is a little bit harder to get good grades in college, but in some classes it is easier.  As someone said, always ask for help.  Don't get behind.  That is never good.  IF you find you don't understand something but you don't want the question in class, ask right after class or during office hours.  All professors have office hours.  Find out all of your professor's office hours and write them down.  That way, if you are having difficulty, you can stop by at the appropriate time to ask.  As someone said, make friends in your classes.  Study groups are great.  i did that in my nursing classes.  I had to.  There is no way I could have gotten through the RN nursing program on my own.  That was a group effort.  Get phone numbers, get emails, etc.  Because you WILL have questions, whether it is about an assignment, a test, whatever.  Having that support is imperative.  Good luck. 

Those sound like some great meals!! I'll try the tomato and chicken one.  

First and foremost, calm down.  You haven't started yet, so don't put so much pressure on your self.  Remember everyone who is coming in as a freshman is in the same boat as you, making it a perfect bonding experience.  You already have one thing in common, you're all new and in a new place.  Don't sweat the career path you've chosen.  You'll be starting off easy with your gened classes and adding classes that are for your major as you advance further in to your college career.  If it turns out you don't like the career path you've chosen, you can always choose another one.  That's what college is for, trying new things, to prepare yourself for being an actual adult.  JUST BREATH.  You'll do great.  Just walk on to campus like you own the place.  Confidence is a wonderful thing.  Even if you're not confident, just fake it until you make it.  It will give everyone else who is nervous a feeling of ease. 

Thank you.  It really is a powerful force (one that I will be faking for a bit!!!!)

Totally okay to be nervous.

Totally ok to second, third, and fourth guess your career/school plans.

You're type A, and fear of the unknown and inability to plan to your standards is freaking you out. Breathe. It will be okay. (Not a bad thing! I am the same way).

Just remember that everyone is in the same boat as you. Engineering is hard, but good hard. If you like it, it will go well for you. Make sure not to miss your engineering classes, or make friends with someone reliable you can get good notes from if you miss a class. If you hate it and find out it's not for you, guess what? You can change your plans :) Power of choice with many options.

College is the best time of your life. You get to learn independence while having a blast and meet new people to bond over everything you'll be going through. Best of luck!

Thank you.  (And you are right, I am a little bit type A)

JUST AS A FOLLOW UP

Started yesterday and so far it is all going well.  Still haven't met my roommate but that is okay.  Made a friend :)

• 4 months later...

I know this reply is extremely late. But I wish you the best for school. Honestly, you never know where the road will take you. I am a junior in college for fashion design, actually the top design school in the country, which I thought I was meant to do my entire life. But now, I am questioning my major choice every day and I am trying to muster up the courage to tell my parents that I may seriously need to reconsider. It's hard to decipher the voices inside you sometimes. Should I persist through school and continue fashion design? Or should I listen to the small, nagging voice that is telling me to take a risk and do something else. 

Life will never come as expected and that's ok. Embrace every experience you have, and please remember, you can get through so much more than you think. Never stop questioning yourself, never stop learning, and you will never ever stop growing.