Ugh I don't know why this bothers me so much

jade4

This isn't actually important or anything

but like, they just took the same book template and colored in something else.

tumblr_nu2tjmaqkz1rmhzk0o1_500.png

Kind of regretting making this post now :P My point is, I think TNT is getting a little lazy on their drawings and I just care, thats why I'm always complaining. D:

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Oh yeah, the art has really been kinda lazy as of late. They did sort-of-recently have several members of the art team leave the staff if I'm not mistaken, so that's probably why. 

Hopefully it is just from a lack of artists, rather than a general level of don't give a...fig :shiftyeyes_anim: I can speak from very personal experience of being in the no artists situation, and having to create new items from already existing items (though I worked very hard to try and make sure their origin wasn't obvious, and succeeded). But that's on a small site; somewhere the size of Neo, with a big corperation owner should never be in that kind of situation.

So maybe them doing this is just laziness : / Or maybe they just don't see a problem with it? Hmm, like say someone who's new to online communities tracing someone else's lines and colouring them in and showing it to others, and not knowing what's hit them when they get screamed at about art theft. Not sure that's a good example, but maybe JS just don't realise that what they're doing with recolours and copy/pasta etc. is poor form and unprofessional.

On the other hand, it's not like they haven't done the same thing for other items (slushies, healing potions, jellies...) and there are a LOT of unique items out there. It could be difficult, not to mention time-consuming, if they had to create a completely new look for each individual item. Besides, it's not like we don't have books in the real world that look the same. Just saying.

The new art of late has been LOUSY.

I'm CONVINCED that the only good lookin' items that have been released in the past couple months are ones that the old artists had already drawn and were shelved for later release.

A good example of the difference in the quality of artistic talent/drawing is in yesterday's News (2rd Sept). The Papayanana and the Berrybiscus Tartlet look like the results of an elementary school art project while the Shadow Kougra from the UL Contest winner was drawn by one of the original Neo artists.

The VAST difference in skill is striking.

And yes, not only is the actual talent seemingly now lacking...they also seem to be LAZY. As with the two new books...just changing colors and/or copy/pasting different images on top of existing items (point and click art, no real drawing involved). 

Things like adding 'stitch lines' on top of existing pets/petpets to make them 'Plushie' just make me shake my head.

Sadly, the well drawn items that were shelved for later release will run out sooner or later and we will then be stuck with whatever the new 'artists' can manage to crib together.

/shakes head

Having looked at some of these items, I now can't help but wonder if the people producing them have any kind of art training, because the light source on some of them is all over the place. It's coming in from all angles. Am I just being too picky?

This shirt clo_glowy_shirt_quiggle.gif

If the light's coming in from our right, which it clearly is, how is there also light on the lefthand side, particularly the shoulder, which would be shaded by the head!...maybe whoever produced this piece of junk lives in a parallel universe that has two suns, yeah that must be it! This looks like the kind of thing that schoolkids who have just got any illegal copy of photoshop produce.

Skimming through jellyneo's database, it looks like neo artists have never had a specific direction for the light source This cake from 2005 is lit from the left,

bak_jhudora_cake.gifBut well drawn and shaded, and lit solely from the left. Compare the cake with the shirt and yeah...that shirt is embarrassing novice art -_-

I'm a little tempted to leave Neopets because the art is getting sucky... and that's saying a lot.

At times, I can't see anything wrong with some of the new art. (Excluding that glowing shirt - what were they thinking??) But

I mean look at the new Dimensional pets... despite the fact that I think the Dimensional color can be a little subjective,

4.png  4.png   I believe this was pre-Jumpstart, as a point of reference. 

4.pngWhere's the glow?

4.pngI know Dimensional is supposed to be a little hard on the eyes, but... what happened to the outline?  

4.pngI kind of feel like they just inverted the colors and did some changes...

Kudos to TNT for re-drawing the Transparent Peophin. Now please bring back the old artists... Or hire fans who can do the job better... 

I feel like the new artists draw similar to the art style on Marapets. http://d33y93cfm0wb4z.cloudfront.net/Lauren/Activities/marapets3.jpg Not that Marapets' art style is bad, but it just doesn't belong here.

1zgb4eb.png

Not to mention the FAILED links they've recently added. Both "Toy Shop" links direct you to the Moltaran Bookstore >__>;

They leave this up for 4 days to confuse everyone but never fail to update the NC Mall correctly :shiftyeyes_anim: Who cares about the content as long as people are giving them RL money? Right?

I feel like that every game company's focus lately and it's really making it frustrating to like ANY games anymore. So sad :sad01_anim:

1zgb4eb.png

Not to mention the FAILED links they've recently added. Both "Toy Shop" links direct you to the Moltaran Bookstore >__>;

They leave this up for 4 days to confuse everyone but never fail to update the NC Mall correctly :shiftyeyes_anim: Who cares about the content as long as people are giving them RL money? Right?

I feel like that every game company's focus lately and it's really making it frustrating to like ANY games anymore. So sad :sad01_anim:

I was going to write about this when I saw your post! They have been so lazy lately that they probably copy the coding from previous news (when they launched the same-template Moltaran books) and then just paste the new toys pictures and write the text on there! I mean, not even doing the linking to toy shop right, really? :/

I was going to write about this when I saw your post! They have been so lazy lately that they probably copy the coding from previous news (when they launched the same-template Moltaran books) and then just paste the new toys pictures and write the text on there! I mean, not even doing the linking to toy shop right, really? :/

Not to mention the Daily Puzzle answer has been Wheel of Monotony for like 5 days now...not sure if it's a joke related to the wheel or if they have given up on it entirely o___O

I wish fans would just create a new site based on donations and fan-drawn art and items! Player submitted pets and accessories would be awesome and would really unite true artists all around the world! <3

Not to mention the Daily Puzzle answer has been Wheel of Monotony for like 5 days now...not sure if it's a joke related to the wheel or if they have given up on it entirely o___O

I wish fans would just create a new site based on donations and fan-drawn art and items! Player submitted pets and accessories would be awesome and would really unite true artists all around the world! <3

Leopets might be good. I've tried applying for an account and haven't gotten in so far, but maybe it's worth a shot. (You have to apply on the 1st of every month as apparently there's limited space for new accounts or something like that). Unfortunately i missed the application date for this month XD 

draik-biscuit.jpg

OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

At first glance it looks fine, but then you realize something's... off. It looks like they took a basic color and just filtered it and added some biscuit specks. The shadows don't look right. It looks too stiff and not fluid. 

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.