What's your skincare routine?

yesadnil

I've really gotten into skincare recently, inspired partially by Reddit's skincareaddiction subreddit. 

What's your daily skin care routine? I'd love to hear it!

Does it work for you? Do you have dry/ oily/ acne prone skin? What are your skincare secrets? 

My morning routine: 

Cetaphil wash

Paula's Choice moisturizer

Evening routine: 

Oil wash with Face Shop Rice Water Cleansing Oil

Soap wash with Cetaphil 

Estee Lauder toner

Origins Drink it up overnight mask

I started because my very Asian mother is intense about skincare, and looks seriously 35 at the age of 50. I want to start early and take care of skin in my 20s! :) 

I'm fortunate to have a face that stays fairly balanced- I've never had an oil problem but sometimes it does get dry especially in the colder months, and no problem with acne. However I'm really unfortunate in the fact that my skin is ultra sensitive to everything. I mean, I'll have an allergic reaction to a band-aid haha. So I've had to experiment a lot with lotions, face creams, face wash, and makeup. Even some brands that are marketed for "sensitive skin" I have a problem with. But my favorite things are the Neutrogena transparent face bar (the fragrance free one) and almost everything Burt's Bees. I'm really obsessed with Burt's Bees products. I really enjoy their facial moisturizers. I use their "Sensitive Daily Moisturizing Cream" every night when I wash my face. I have never had a reaction to any of their products *knock on wood* and I find them all to be very effective. Plus they're all natural and I'm really into that. In the morning most days I will also apply some sort of Burt's Bees face cream with an SPF because I'm a ginger and I burn easily :p ...that's probably the biggest issue with my skin- protecting it from the sun

Hi, im an esthetician. Which means my job is skincare :) First off I like using quality ingredients. So any spa brand (not sold on the shelves of your local store) will have these ingredients. It makes a huge difference. Second I dont treat my face as one big thing, but individual sections require individual treatments. Around the eyes, corners of the nose, and sometimes around the mouth can be the most dry or sensitive areas for me, so i take extra care by avoiding using harsh exfoliants or over exfoliating. I also use collagen creams to moisturize them a bit more, and keep them hydrated. 

I have combination skin. (There are 5 different types of skin and youre born with 1 of them.Your skin type will never change there is: normal, dry, oily, combination, and sensitive)  Because I have combination that means my T-zone could be oily and the rest of my face dry OR my Tzone could be dry and the rest oily. 

So i'll use a ceramide on the more sensitive and dry areas and an oil free lotion on the more oily areas. 

I also use a sensitive skin cleansing milk twice a day and twice a week a combination of an exfoliant and a salicylic wash since i tend to get blemishes easily..

so basically

morning. wash and apply moisturizer and SPF  (SPF is the only thing you can do to slow the aging of your skin, so if you dont want premature wrinkles.......)

night same, except the SPF

twice a week  exfoliant

and sometimes I'll use a toner to balance the PH of my skin when necessary...

I have combination skin and also mild acne. I have very few flare ups these days unless I get super stressed.

I use Vichy Normaderm products for my acne. I don't overuse them as they can dry out your skin more. My favourites are the Cleansing Gel, TriActive Mask and the Face and Eyes toner. I only use the mask once a week and the cleansing gel when I shower, which is usually every other day lately. I'll use my toner lightly in the mornings or when my face feels a little gross to freshen it up.

In the winter time since I tend to get dry areas on my cheeks and nose I use Vine Vera products along with my Vichy. Vine Vera is very expensive, but they are luxurious and I got a deal on my products. I tend to use my day cream the most during the winter and their eye serum and correcting cream to hide those dark circles and reduce puffiness. I also have a very gentle exfoliant that I like to use every so often.

I don't really have a set routine, I just use what I feel like using. If my breakouts are being extra troublesome I'll use Vichy's Normaderm night cream and day cream. For those stubborn spots while on the go or in between I'll just use a spot treatment from Vichy.

I have combination skin and have acne flare ups sometimes. I don't use much in my skin care routine: I wash my face everyday with warm water and a soap with moisturizing components and scrub my face a with a body puff or rough texture towel to get any dead skin and wash away oils and dirt on the top of my pores. Then I take a warm-hot shower and scrub with a shower brush. I'm a poor person so I can't buy expensive spa cosmetics and skin care things that kute mentioned.

When I was growing up, my Mom had skin cancer a couple of times (the nasty, deadly kind), and she'd always harp on me to wear sunscreen, but I never really did and got some really bad sunburns as a result. I'm 24 and now I'm beginning to heed her advice. *facepalm* If only I could go back in time and smack some sense into myself!! Now I'm completely obsessed with my skin and aging. I dread getting wrinkles! I have no idea what my skin type is, but I'm pretty sure it's not dry. Maybe normal?

Here's my routine:

Dr. Wood's Shea Vision Black Soap (AM and PM)

Thayer's Rose Petal and Witch Hazel Toner (AM and PM)

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Daily Moisturizer w/ SPF 30 (AM only)

Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid (PM only)

Desert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil (Great for removing makeup and it's really gentle)

I'm not really loyal to any one particular brand or product, but I have to say I really like Olay's products and that toner I mentioned above; they seem to play nicely with my skin. I always wear something with at least SPF 30 in it, even if it's cloudy or rainy out. My pasty skin laughs at lesser SPFs. Someone once told me that even tanned skin is damaged skin and I never forgot it. Also, I always wash my face at night, even if I'm only half awake and I desperately want to crawl into bed. I used to be really lazy about it, but then I got into the habit and my skin has improved a lot and I don't break out as much.

Not too long ago I purchased a parasol to use outside when it's really sunny out. It keeps the sun off my face and I'm not as hot as a bonus! I'm still getting over my embarrassment of using it, but it's really pretty and I'm glad I bought it. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use a Clarisonic w/ a "sensitive skin" brush head in the mornings to exfoliate. 

I really cannot agree more with your emphasis on sunscreen! My mother would tell me to put on sunscreen all the time, I associate sunscreen with "going to the beach," so I would never use sunscreen. But sun damage is really one of the worst things you can do to your skin. 

This article on sunburns in the Scientific American describes that sunburn is literally your skin cells committing suicide because their DNA has been damaged and they're trying to prevent you from getting skin cancer. It really puts all those times I peeled my sunburns for fun into perspective....

Moral of the story: the sun is trying to kill you.

When I was growing up, my Mom had skin cancer a couple of times (the nasty, deadly kind), and she'd always harp on me to wear sunscreen, but I never really did and got some really bad sunburns as a result. I'm 24 and now I'm beginning to heed her advice. *facepalm* If only I could go back in time and smack some sense into myself!! Now I'm completely obsessed with my skin and aging. I dread getting wrinkles! I have no idea what my skin type is, but I'm pretty sure it's not dry. Maybe normal?

Here's my routine:

Dr. Wood's Shea Vision Black Soap (AM and PM)

Thayer's Rose Petal and Witch Hazel Toner (AM and PM)

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Daily Moisturizer w/ SPF 30 (AM only)

Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid (PM only)

Desert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil (Great for removing makeup and it's really gentle)

I'm not really loyal to any one particular brand or product, but I have to say I really like Olay's products and that toner I mentioned above; they seem to play nicely with my skin. I always wear something with at least SPF 30 in it, even if it's cloudy or rainy out. My pasty skin laughs at lesser SPFs. Someone once told me that even tanned skin is damaged skin and I never forgot it. Also, I always wash my face at night, even if I'm only half awake and I desperately want to crawl into bed. I used to be really lazy about it, but then I got into the habit and my skin has improved a lot and I don't break out as much.

Not too long ago I purchased a parasol to use outside when it's really sunny out. It keeps the sun off my face and I'm not as hot as a bonus! I'm still getting over my embarrassment of using it, but it's really pretty and I'm glad I bought it. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use a Clarisonic w/ a "sensitive skin" brush head in the mornings to exfoliate. 

I really cannot agree more with your emphasis on sunscreen! My mother would tell me to put on sunscreen all the time, I associate sunscreen with "going to the beach," so I would never use sunscreen. But sun damage is really one of the worst things you can do to your skin. 

This article on sunburns in the Scientific American describes that sunburn is literally your skin cells committing suicide because their DNA has been damaged and they're trying to prevent you from getting skin cancer. It really puts all those times I peeled my sunburns for fun into perspective....

Moral of the story: the sun is trying to kill you.

"The sun is trying to kill you." Hahaha yes!

This video on UV damage is also pretty horrifying if you're interested/haven't seen it yet: 

My reaction while watching it was pretty much this the whole time:

tumblr_inline_nbvmyrnZt21t0duhj.gif

I recently just got into skincare as well! My skin used to be incredibly oily, and I'd be really self-conscious about it. I always had those little oil absorbing wipes handy and I'd slip away to make sure I wasn't shining like there's no tomorrow. I have two different routines, one for the morning and one for the evening.

For the morning, it's pretty simple because I don't like piling lots of products on in case it clogs my pores/makes me look extra oily. I wash my face with a facial soap, Chidoriya Silk & Rice facial soap to be exact, and then after dabbing (not rubbing!) my face dry with a towel I apply Neutrogena astringent and wait while it dries before applying Tonymoly Appletox Honey Cream. I really like it for the morning because it's very lightweight and still keeps my skin hydrated nicely, not to mention it smells great :) and since we're on the topic of sunscreen, if i'm headed out I'll either apply some sunscreen on my face or use my BareMinerals powder or complexion rescue, which have sunscreen in them. I also have a facial toning elixir by Herbivore I want to throw into the mix soon to help balance my pH levels.

For the evening I use my Clarisonic every other night or so with my face wash of the month (and I use my hands on the odds nights, just so my face isn't over-exfoliated), I like to mix it up because my skin can quickly become accustomed to the face wash that I'm using. Currently I've returned to an old favorite, Dr. Li's anti-acne facial wash, I bought it on a trip to China and I'm not sure if the products are available elsewhere. After washing my face I use a toner, Be The Skin, from their line for those with oily skin. After that has dried I apply an AHA 8% Peeling Serum by Mizon, dry, every other night I apply my Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum, dry, then my Klurskin Tea Tree and Eucalyptus Organic Botanical Serum, dry, then the next product in the Be The Skin line, the serum, at which point I also apply my Chidoriya eye serum by gently dabbing with my ring fingers onto the skin of my eye. And lastly, I apply my Be The Skin moisturizer to my face and neck, and then my Shiseido Bio-Performance eye cream. And then I plop into bed.

I also am into face masks, have a couple from different brands like Herbivore, Mario Badescu, the paper sheets that are from Korea that are becoming more popular in the US, I like to alternate between them all.

I've had acne prone skin my whole life and tried every brand of cleanser and creams including prescription ones.  None of them have ever worked for me.  I was always dealing with huge blemishes all over my face and breakouts all the time.   A few years ago I got really sick and could only take baths because I was too weak to stand.  I started just rinsing my face with plain water.   My skin completely cleared up.  I switched to organic face creams because I have some redness and combination skin.  I have not had a bad break out since.  I know this isn't the norm and won't work for everyone but my skin feels great.  I stopped using thick full coverage foundations as well.  Even the best of those caused break outs, and it freaked me out that I needed a toner or harsh make up remover to get them off my skin.

All I do is wipe my face with a damp cloth in the morning and evening and then apply face cream.  I use Eucerin lotion and a  damp cloth to remove eye make-up, which was recommended by an esthetician because I have very very sensitive skin around my eyes.   

I have horrendous skin. I have the fun joy of having PCOS, which means I have acne all the time. I also work outside so can add awful dryness to the mix. No, I don't wear suncream, I know I should but I have no time to put it on. 

As for my skincare routine, I have none. Every few months I decide that yes, I should start taking care of my face more (even though there's no real point, it's one ugly mess even if my skin was clear) so I'll spend about 3 days washing my face twice a day and apply stuff. But then, as always, sleep becomes far more important and I'd rather stay in bed longer in the mornings then get up and wash my face. As for the evenings, even just making myself go for a shower is an effort. I've spent many a half an hour sat in my room contemplating just how much effort going for a shower is, before I finally summon up the energy to go get one. Having to add the effort of doing my face and applying stuff is too much. 

I can't even be bothered to use handcream before I go to bed, and I really should as my hands are dry and cracked and painful. But I always forget. 

If any of you are looking for a cheap makeup remover that's not oil based and doesn't burn your eyes horribly, try baby wipes. They're alchohol free and you can get ones that are fragrance free. I can literally touch my eye with one and it doesn't hurt. After using other makeup removers my eyes would be irritated for at least a day after. I buy Pampers Baby Fresh wipes for my girls and they are perfumed but even those ones don't irritate. They also leave your face feeling refreshed. They're great for on the go too. I'm quite sure the off brand ones will do just the same, I've only ever tried the Pampers ones since they're the only ones I buy for my girls.

@Various if you're hands are really cracked and painful try using Aveeno Eczema Care Moisturizing Cream. It's a tad pricey but it is AMAZING! I suffer from really dry cracked and irritated hands in the winter time and this lotion is literally the only thing I can put on my hands and not have them burning so bad I want to scream. This stuff is so gentle I used it on my daughter last winter for her cheeks and she was only about 6 months old. Since it is a bit pricey the good thing is you really don't need to goop it on like other lotions. For your face just apply a nice toner, Vichy has good ones and I used to use the Biore one all the time in the mornings. I felt the same way as you, sleep over washing my face lol.

Mousey, I've used the Aveeno baby moisturising cream too, I love it! I have some of the lotion too, but the texture's not as nice as the cream. I bought these on Ebay from a US seller so it wasn't cheap, Aveeno's starting to be sold in the UK now but as you said, it's pricey, even more so because it has to be imported.

All you ladies insisting on an SPF in your face cream, hope you're a taking vitamin D supplement. A significant percentage of women are Vit. D deficient now since the advent of SPF in moisturiser, that's kind of scary. D:<

I have the worst skin. I have eczema on my hands and elbows, and I go through major bouts of acne. On top of that, I'm allergic to perfume and related fragrance. My face is very combination. I have had so much trouble finding a face regimen that would leave me neither dried out nor too oily. About a year ago I came across Zenmed and it has been a lifesaver! Right now, I use their gentle face cleanser every day and the tea tree and jojoba face scrub twice a week. A couple months ago I found some great witch hazel toner (Thayers alcohol-free) and it made a huge difference. I essentially wash my face with that stuff now. On top of that, I have 3 different spot treatments that I cycle through as needed (also from Zenmed), and I use Origins zero oil moisturizer on my cheeks.

I cannot tell you how amazing Aveeno eczema therapy lotion is. My eczema has improved so much since starting that. My other suggestion for dry skin is to stop using liquid hand soaps and anything containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or related ingredients. 

Mousey, I've used the Aveeno baby moisturising cream too, I love it! I have some of the lotion too, but the texture's not as nice as the cream. I bought these on Ebay from a US seller so it wasn't cheap, Aveeno's starting to be sold in the UK now but as you said, it's pricey, even more so because it has to be imported.

All you ladies insisting on an SPF in your face cream, hope you're a taking vitamin D supplement. A significant percentage of women are Vit. D deficient now since the advent of SPF in moisturiser, that's kind of scary. D:<

With my first daughter she had dry skin on her face and I used the Aveeno Baby 24 hour moisturizing cream on her and I noticed improvements the next day. Since the Aveeno is the only thing I can use on my hands it's become my #1 choice for lotions.

I have the worst skin. I have eczema on my hands and elbows, and I go through major bouts of acne. On top of that, I'm allergic to perfume and related fragrance. My face is very combination. I have had so much trouble finding a face regimen that would leave me neither dried out nor too oily. About a year ago I came across Zenmed and it has been a lifesaver! Right now, I use their gentle face cleanser every day and the tea tree and jojoba face scrub twice a week. A couple months ago I found some great witch hazel toner (Thayers alcohol-free) and it made a huge difference. I essentially wash my face with that stuff now. On top of that, I have 3 different spot treatments that I cycle through as needed (also from Zenmed), and I use Origins zero oil moisturizer on my cheeks.

I cannot tell you how amazing Aveeno eczema therapy lotion is. My eczema has improved so much since starting that. My other suggestion for dry skin is to stop using liquid hand soaps and anything containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate or related ingredients. 

Another thing to avoid in your lotions is ones that have water at the beginning of the ingredients list. If it's near the end of the list then you're getting a better product. My husband is actually the one who bought the Aveeno Eczema Care lotion for me and that's what he was looking at.

Aveeno baby was actually recommended to me by an American girl that I know, because it's for babies. She said people don't care what's in the products that they put on their own faces, but they freak out about what touches their baby's skin, lol. She's used it on her kids, and now it's the only thing she uses on herself. This was during a conversation about skincare without any nasties in it, I'm really glad she told me about it too, I just wish it was cheaper. ><

Oh dear, I don't wash my skin in the morning.... should I be worried? Do I need to wash my face in the morning every day w/ some sort of scrub? 

I have super dry skin and eczema on my arms and legs (my legs are the worst!). Thankfully I don't have it on my face and I don't get acne or pimples (maybe 2-4 times a year I have an outbreak). 

I usually switch b/t Neutrogena's black heads scrub or St. Aves facial wash (not the exfoliating one) every other day. Then I use Clinique's toner and lotion at night after I shower. I rec Clinique if anyone has sensitive skin, since their skin care line is pretty decent in price point and use. Plus Clinique's toner has four dif kinds based on how dry-> oily your skin is.

Also, like everyone's said, Aveeno is amazing. I apply Aveeno to my eczema spots and it really does miracles and is worth the price.  

Oh dear, I don't wash my skin in the morning.... should I be worried? Do I need to wash my face in the morning every day w/ some sort of scrub? 

I have super dry skin and eczema on my arms and legs (my legs are the worst!). Thankfully I don't have it on my face and I don't get acne or pimples (maybe 2-4 times a year I have an outbreak). 

I usually switch b/t Neutrogena's black heads scrub or St. Aves facial wash (not the exfoliating one) every other day. Then I use Clinique's toner and lotion at night after I shower. I rec Clinique if anyone has sensitive skin, since their skin care line is pretty decent in price point and use. Plus Clinique's toner has four dif kinds based on how dry-> oily your skin is.

Also, like everyone's said, Aveeno is amazing. I apply Aveeno to my eczema spots and it really does miracles and is worth the price.  

I often don't wash my face in the morning too lol. Even every other day is good too as you're not constantly applying chemicals to your skin. Sometimes the over application can do more harm then good, plus the products you use can stay on your skin for a few days even after washing. Just do what feels good to you. I've never tried Clinique products and eventually I might, well see. Have to use up my supply of stuff first. :)

Mousey,

I rec Clinique mostly because it's hypoallergenic. I have incredibly sensitive skin, and Clinique is super gentle. Of all the lotions I've tried, it really is worth every penny. Plus a single bottle (about 25 USD) lasts about a year, which is not bad at all. =)

Has anyone tried using pure oil also? I have super cracked skin around my mouth, and because of the CA drought, I've also tried using pure cooking oil, which does wonders too. (It might be weird, but it really works for me.) =) 

I was never into skincare (or makeup) until I went to Korea last year, and oh my gosh are they serious about their skincare. Unfortunately, my previous lack of interest means I have no idea what kind of skin I have - but if I had to guess, I would guess combination?

Etude House has a monthly face wash that I really like, and although I had my suitemate tell me that it's okay to use it more frequently than once a month, I did notice for me that it makes me break out when I do that. So I stick to once a month.

I just got Clean & Clear's morning and night oil-free face washes and so far (for the three days that I've been using them) they've been amazing and honestly my skin has never been better. I use a 3-in-1 moisturizer from Mary Kay in the morning and Skinfood's royal honey lotion at night. They also have a grape seed oil wrinkle neck cream that is incredible (everyone always forgets to take care of their neck - I will avoid old-person turkey neck for as long as I possibly can). And of course my toner from Etude House.

Some extras that I throw in occasionally are a black sugar honey scrub and an egg white pore mask from Skinfood, and any of Etude House's face masks.

Also, all of you have interesting suggestions, and I am definitely going to be trying out some new products soon!

Full list is:

Clean & Clear morning face wash
Mary Kay timewise 3-in-1 moisturizer

Clean & Clear night face wash

Etude house toner

Skinfood Royal honey cream

Skinfood Grape seed oil wrinkle neck lotion

Extra:
Skinfood Black sugar honey scrub
Skinfood egg white pore mask

Etude house face masks

Etude house monthly face wash (Lemon & Garlic)

OMG Korean skincare and cosmetics!!! If I could buy every single Etude House and Tony Moly product then I'd be a happy girl :woot: 

Koreans put stuff in SUCH. CUTE. PACKAGING. :dance:

• 3 weeks later...

Exercise, rest, and good nutrition lay the foundation for beautiful, healthy skin, inside and out.

I follow these simple beauty tips:
-Wash your skin thoroughly on a daily basis to remove the dirt, debris, pollutants, and perspiration that accumulates on a daily basis.
-Unless your skin is very oily, you will want to use a moisturizer everyday to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.
-Use a natural sunscreen when possible, regardless of whether or not you plan on spending much time in the sun.

Apart then this routine, for my sensitive skin i prefer Stem cell skincare products which are organic and will nourish your dried skin.

• 8 months later...

've been living with acne scarring for decades, having contracted acne when I was in 3rd grade (I am 55 years old). By the time I was 21, when Accutane came out in the U. S., I had the Grand Canyon on my face. About a year after Accutane I had a full face dermabrasion. No improvement. Had injections of fillers; no improvement. So, I left things alone. Then when I joined the rest of the world by getting my own computer, I came across all sorts of information. I've bought all kinds of things that I've learned about on YouTube and other websites, like dermarollers and essential oils, acid peels, serum so...nothing has worked. I refuse to believe the doctors who have told me there's nothing that really works. But actually, if sanding down my skin didn't work how could a topical ointment do anything?

• 4 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite subjects!

Since I am 47, I will lecture you young whipper-snappers: WEAR MOISTURIZER WITH AT LEAST A 25 SPF!!! Seriously, start today. You will be happy you did! My skin isn't perfect, but I don't look my age. I do look younger, but I suppose that may have to do with my biological family (I'm adopted, and don't know who they are), so thanks, bio family! I also have combo skin...with wrinkles I get pimples, WTH!! It's crazy!!!

My skin care routine:

AM:

1. Wash face with Origins Checks and Balances -or- Clarins Gentle Foaming Cleanser

2. SK-II Facial Treatment Clear Lotion then SK-II Facial Treatment Essence. The SK-II products are really expensive, but I only use 3x a week. I also use Clarins Toning Lotion for Combo skin.

3. Origins A Perfect World SPF 25 Moisturizer.

4. Make up foundation: Dior Skin Nude BB Creme w/SPF 10

5. Sephora Microsmooth Baked Foundation Face Power.

6. For Lips-Kiehl's Lip Balm (with SPF!), and I'm in LOVE with Dior Lip Glow w/SPF 10. I've been buying the Lip Glow for about 5 years now. I use it several times a day.

PM:

1. Wash face w/one or the other products listed above. I also use a product from LUSH: Ocean Salt. OMG, it smells like a margarita!

2. Origins Night-A Mins. I used to get a facial once a month, and she suggested this, because I'm older, and it's a really great product. It smells like oranges and grapefruit. Once of the best products I use.

I do NOT leave my house without wearing moisturizer w/at least SPF 25. Even if it's a tinted moisturizer, and no make up. 

:)

PS: I also change my foundation and powder makeup when summer turns to fall, and winter turns to spring. I looooove shopping!

PSS: I also use Origins Souffle Whipped Body Cream. I used to use coconut oil/lotion, but I felt oily all day at work.

Since I am 47, I will lecture you young whipper-snappers: WEAR MOISTURIZER WITH AT LEAST A 25 SPF!!! Seriously, start today. You will be happy you did! My skin isn't perfect, but I don't look my age. I do look younger, but I suppose that may have to do with my biological family (I'm adopted, and don't know who they are), so thanks, bio family! I also have combo skin...with wrinkles I get pimples, WTH!! It's crazy!!!

Just wondering (if you know), does SPF make a big difference if the most sun I see is going back and forth from my car? Now I want to know if my moisturizer has spf in it at all... it doesn't say.