What's your skincare routine?

yesadnil

Just wondering (if you know), does SPF make a big difference if the most sun I see is going back and forth from my car? Now I want to know if my moisturizer has spf in it at all... it doesn't say.

I believe the car windows in newer cars in the USA are protected from UV rays. Let me check!

Oh wow, I was wrong. The windshield does, but not the vehicle doors. My windows are after market tinted, but I guess that doesn't help...check it out:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-uv-windows-idUSKCN0Y32WI

Also, if your moisturizer does not say if there is an SPF in it, it probably doesn't have any.

ohhhh man...

I worked in cosmetics for a short period of time, but it was long enough to drastically affect the way I care for my skin. In fact, I don't think I could even begin to talk about my skincare routine without writing an essay :shiftyeyes_anim:

The number one thing I would tell everyone is to make sure to always remove makeup first. And I don't mean with soap. Makeup is typically oil based; that's how it sticks to our skin. So you need an oil to remove it. Then you can come in with a regular cleanser to remove the excess oils that are more water soluble. Washing your face should always be a two step process. And forget makeup wipes! All they do is tug and pull at the skin without 100% dissolving the makeup...you are still left with residues to be washed off! And there is no point in using expensive serums and toners and moisturizers if they can't fully absorb into the skin.

ok...I think I should stop now.. :laughingsmiley:

ohhhh man...

I worked in cosmetics for a short period of time, but it was long enough to drastically affect the way I care for my skin. In fact, I don't think I could even begin to talk about my skincare routine without writing an essay :shiftyeyes_anim:

The number one thing I would tell everyone is to make sure to always remove makeup first. And I don't mean with soap. Makeup is typically oil based; that's how it sticks to our skin. So you need an oil to remove it. Then you can come in with a regular cleanser to remove the excess oils that are more water soluble. Washing your face should always be a two step process. And forget makeup wipes! All they do is tug and pull at the skin without 100% dissolving the makeup...you are still left with residues to be washed off! And there is no point in using expensive serums and toners and moisturizers if they can't fully absorb into the skin.

I hope one day you WILL write that essay! I love everyone's responses on here!!

I feel like I use moisturizer the most, lol. AM and PM. 

Also, I did not know about the makeup wipes! Yikes! I use them 1-2x a week, especially when it is hot outside. I will stop using them.

Speaking of skincare...I am buying more right now! :rolleyes_anim: :P

Item   Price Qty Amount  
s1573062-main-Lthumb.jpg Quick Look

Item 1573062

s1761048-main-Lthumb.jpg Quick Look

Item 1761048 Size 6.7 oz

s1375724-main-Lthumb.jpg Quick Look
Item 1375724 Size 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

oooh yes I do love origins. I just recently upgraded (because I'm getting older lol) to their plantscription eye cream and I'm loving it so far! Moisturizing is key, and at any age too. And I'm a sucker for any Japanese brands, possibly because my Japanese mother has attempted to brainwash me into thinking that those products are superior to all others =_= lol..

And there isn't necessarily anything inherently wrong with face wipes, but I think they are best used in emergencies. Mainly because we tend to use too much pressure to remove makeup, instead of relying on the actual product within the wipes to do the job. I'm sure there are wipes out there that are amazing and can soak through all the makeup and grime without pressure, but I figure why bother tugging at your skin if you have to wash your face afterwards anyway?

Lol if I did write that essay I'll also have to take credit for all the extra money I will be convincing you guys to spend on extra products hahah

oooh yes I do love origins. I just recently upgraded (because I'm getting older lol) to their plantscription eye cream and I'm loving it so far! Moisturizing is key, and at any age too. And I'm a sucker for any Japanese brands, possibly because my Japanese mother has attempted to brainwash me into thinking that those products are superior to all others =_= lol..

And there isn't necessarily anything inherently wrong with face wipes, but I think they are best used in emergencies. Mainly because we tend to use too much pressure to remove makeup, instead of relying on the actual product within the wipes to do the job. I'm sure there are wipes out there that are amazing and can soak through all the makeup and grime without pressure, but I figure why bother tugging at your skin if you have to wash your face afterwards anyway?

Lol if I did write that essay I'll also have to take credit for all the extra money I will be convincing you guys to spend on extra products hahah

I love SK-II and they are a Japanese based company, so I LOVE Japanese products, like your Mother :)

I discovered Origins from my Esthetician. I can't afford to go once a month like I used to, but still use Origins products based on her recommendations.

I only use the face wipes when I am way too tired to wash my face. I haven't used them all week so far. I feel better once my face is washed and I put my Origins Night-A-Mins on.

LOL, one would think that I work for them!

I am going to get some oil to remove makeup the next time I order from Sephora.  I spent approx $200 with my last order, yikes! (: :whaa:  But the products really last me a long time.

Okay, I went on Sephora and saw Cleansing oils from Lancome, SK-II and Shiseido. I am leaning towards the SK-II or the Lancome. Question: After you use the oil, do you wash your face as well? I usually wash my face at night, then use the Night-A-Mins before bed.

You need to write that essay! It would be interesting! ^_^ :laughingsmiley:

I typically wash my face after the oil, but this might come down to a preference. Depending on the brand you may not have to wash after. I like having a super tight squeaky clean feeling so I do. Basically all the oil does is it dissolves the makeup and lifts it from your skin by binding to it (science, yay!). Then when you come in with a cleanser, the cleanser should remove any residue of the oil, along with all of the makeup and grime that is now stuck to the oil instead of to your face. But some oils may not have as many residues. And also you may prefer the more supple feeling of not using additional cleanser after. I just happen to like the feeling of having the life sucked out of my face lol..

And I'm typically very stingy when it comes to my money and buying things, but I definitely splurge when it comes to my skin. Because I definitely think it's worth it in the long run. As far as brands go, I haven't used any of those three so I probably can't help you decide >.< ...I am actually obsessed with this one oil but I have only been able to get it directly from Japan =O. Before I got hooked on that one I primarily used the oil by DHC. I actually like the DHC one a lot but this other brand I found is just a million times better =P.

• 6 months later...

I use Yu-Be Moisturizing Skin Cream in the morning and evening every day, and I use Neutrogena toner for cleansing in the morning and L'Oreal's anti-aging serum at night, and Yu-Be's Foaming Skin Polish to exfoliate three times a week. I've always had really dry skin, like actually flaking, and this routine is definitely doing the trick!

Wake up: Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

Showertime:

Exfoliate with St. Ives apricot scrub

Clean with Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Cream Cleanser

Moisturize with Garnier Moisture Rescue refreshing gel cream 

Before bed: Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water

I used to constantly get cystic pimples (those really deep zits that just feel like swollen mounds), but they haven't really been an issue for a while now. I love the micellar water both for it's ease of use and for being not too harsh. I was constantly drying my face out with other cleansers and astringents. I hate that really tight face feeling. 

• 1 month later...

I use:

Pure n Gentle Makeup Wipes

Burt's Bees Acne Solutions Purifying Gel Cleanser

Alba Botanica ACNEdote Deep Clean Astringent

CVS brand moisturizer with SPF

I try to only use cruelty free beauty products. There's a misconception that cruelty free = expensive, but all of the CVS house brand including their Beauty 360 line is cruelty free and the makeup wipes are 99 cents at Wal-Mart! AFAIK Ulta's house brand is also cruelty free.

• 3 weeks later...

In the morning, I use Clean & Clear Daily Face Wash (the one with ginseng and stuff), something else Clean & Clear (I forget what it's called, but it's really tingly), and a sensitive skin moisturizer that's really nice and helps moisturize your skin without adding oil (I'll have to check the name of that one, too).  If it's sunny, I use a bit of sunscreen, too, but I've been trying to find a moisturizer with SPF.  At night, I use a different Clean & Clear face wash, then I either use a salicylic acid spot touch-up or a benzoyl peroxide cream.  After that I use a Clean & Clear moisturizer.  (I use Clean & Clear so much because it's about all I can get in Europe without ordering online.)  If I'm super lazy and it's really late, I just use a baby wipe to clean my face.

Oh, and about once or twice a week, I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

• 3 months later...

I have oily / combination that breaks out occasionally.

My morning routine consists of:

- Cetaphil cleanser

-Neutrogena spf 50 sunscreen 

But usually I forgo skincare completely in the morning for five extra minutes of sleep. I will probably regret doing so ten years down the line, but I am really NOT a morning person. Also, I average around 10 minutes in the sun everyday so sun damage isn't a very pressing issue in my mind xD.

My evening routine consists of:

- Cetaphil cleanser

- Neutrogena rapid clear moisturizer

- Kiehl's heavy eye cream

Additionally, I apply coconut oil once or twice a week. It leaves my skin feeling baby soft and smooth, and seems to help a bit with inflammation. 

• 5 months later...

I don't do much. I just use some moisturizer if I remember or if my skin feels dry. :biggrin: Can't say it is that good of an idea. I don't even use much sunscreen and I live in sunny California. Can't tell you how many times I got sunburnt. 

11 hours ago, sunny098 said:

I don't do much. I just use some moisturizer if I remember or if my skin feels dry. :biggrin: Can't say it is that good of an idea. I don't even use much sunscreen and I live in sunny California. Can't tell you how many times I got sunburnt. 

Same for basically only using some moisturizer when my skin feels dry, but sunscreen is a must. Please use sunscreen! Skin cancer is already the most common form of cancer in the US, no need to tempt fate! (Sorry if that sounds a little dark and alarmist, but as someone with the lightest possible skin tone and a lot of birth marks, this is something I'm kind of hyper aware of, and hearing someone say they get sunburnt a lot, yet barely wear sunscreen, makes me incredibly nervous.)

On 5/6/2017 at 4:42 PM, ShadowyIce said:

If I'm super lazy and it's really late, I just use a baby wipe to clean my face.

I always use baby wipes to take my makeup off. I can't use the specially marketed makeup removers or wipes because they irritate my eyes and some of them leave my skin feeling greasy. So I just use a baby wipe. It's something I ALWAYS have on hand. With three young kids, they're handy and always being used. I never go anywhere without them!

I've started using Loreal's new PureClay Cleansers. I have the green one and the black one so far. Both of them leave my face feeling clean for hours! The black one I recommend using a dark cloth with it though or it may stain a light colored one. It stained mine, but maybe I didn't rinse it out properly. Who knows.

I second what @Nielo said about sunscreen. I rarely use sunscreen but I don't get burnt often either. In the summer I usually wear long sleeves and pants anyways so there's really no need. The only area I need sunscreen is my face, but my lotion has SPF protection in it. I always make sure to spray my girls down with sunscreen, which is usually harder than it sounds. In the summer they'll eat and just run outside to the yard. Half the time they won't even bother getting dressed lol. So I have to call them in to get dressed and sprayed.

This past summer I was outside for a bit in the summer and I burnt my shoulders fairly bad. I've never burned so bad and my shoulders do not look good, even now. I regret not using sunscreen, but I wasn't outside for too long, so I didn't think it was necessary. WRONG!! So please remember your sunscreen! A good one if you don't like that greasy feel is Neutrogena Beach Defense. I use that one on my girls instead of the kids stuff too.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, sunny098 said:

I use the Neutrogena Make Up wipes and the Neutrogena eye make up wipes but I rarely use make up. hehe Yeah, sometimes those irritate my eyes too.

You should try baby wipes. Get a small travel pack to test out. They're good for so many uses, other than on babies and kids. I recommend the Pampers Sensitive ones, or if you want a thicker wipe the Pampers Baby Fresh are nice too. I'm sure other brands are just as good, I just buy Pampers wipes all the time. :D

I barely use any make up, but since I might for a celebration I'm attending in the near future, I bought Garnier Micellar Water for sensitive skin. I've only used it once but it worked amazing! Just needed 1 cotton pad, made that moist with the Micellar Water (juts moist, not completely wet) and everything came right of! No rinsing required, no fat or dried out skin after.

I only bought a small travel bottle for now, but I might just use that to clean my face in the mornings and evenings, even when not wearing makeup.

About the sunscreen btw: YES! USE SUNSCREEN! especially if you get sunburned a lot! I have a very light tone skin too and burn easily, even with factor 50 sunscreen applied regularly, I can't believe you don't care when you get burned.

• 9 months later...

Mine is to apply raw honey to my face at least 2 or 3 times a week.  You can leave it on the skin for a couple of hours. This is how I managed to clear my acne and acne scars - pure natural honey promotes skin regeneration and after regularly applying it you will start noticing the positive changes.

First, my pimples became less inflamed and started disappearing (it took a week or two)

Then, after the 4th or 5th month, my acne scars, which were very deep, started fading. Now, they are barely visible, I'm very glad I tried this simple 'face mask'. Now, I don't need cleansers, lotions, serums and the like.

Other people's skin care always fascinates me, because for most of my life I was VERY lazy about skin care (slept in my makeup, never washed my face, certainly never moisturized). I was taking oral HBC for about 10 years and had perfect skin (and severe migraines). Once I found out that it was the HBC causing the migraines, I switched to another method with minimal hormones, and BAM! Puberty hit me all over again and never left. So now I'm 29 years old with significant hormonal cystic acne and bad skin care habits. Touching my face a bunch (and picking, ugh) is also one of my anxious tics, which does not help anything. I've tried a few things, including topical prescriptions, but lately I decided to give the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay a shot, and I'm seeing a reduction in cysts. It still fluctuates noticeably with my cycle, and I'd probably see better results if I were more diligent about my AM/PM routines, but it is a huge improvement. Here's what I do on an ideal day, when I'm doing what I'm supposed to:

AM: Garnier Micellar Water (sensitive / pink cap), Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash (unscented), Clindamycin gel (Rx) on my problem areas, Benzoyl peroxide spot treatment (if I have a cyst that needs to be dried out), Cetaphil moisturizer (my BFF tells me I should be using a better moisturizer with more nourishing "stuff," but I don't have $100 to spend on 1 oz. of product, so cheap it is) - in the summer I use a BB cream with SPF, but I need to find a real SPF moisturizer for my face and neck that won't clog my pores & weigh me down (open to recommendations)

PM: Micellar Water again, Simple face wash again, Adapalene cream (Rx) on my problem areas, Cetaphil moisturizer again (I know I need to add a toner and a serum to this, but I haven't yet found anything both good and affordable - also open to recommendations here)

2-3 times a week (usually after my post-gym shower) I do the healing clay for 20 minutes, which is 1 T clay, 1 T apple cider vinegar, and 1 drop tea tree oil, mixed and applied with PLASTIC utensils, not metal, since any metal coming in contact with the clay will negate its effectiveness - on these days I don't use the Adapalene, and wait an hour or so before moisturizing

On 10/8/2015 at 11:48 PM, yesadnil said:

I've really gotten into skincare recently, inspired partially by Reddit's skincareaddiction subreddit. 

What's your daily skin care routine? I'd love to hear it!

Does it work for you? Do you have dry/ oily/ acne prone skin? What are your skincare secrets? 

My morning routine: 

Cetaphil wash

Paula's Choice moisturizer

Evening routine: 

Oil wash with Face Shop Rice Water Cleansing Oil

Soap wash with Cetaphil 

Estee Lauder toner

Origins Drink it up overnight mask

I started because my very Asian mother is intense about skincare, and looks seriously 35 at the age of 50. I want to start early and take care of skin in my 20s! ?

In the morning, start by splashing your face with warm water, do not skip toner after use moisturizer. The sun is the most damaging factor for skin so apply sunscreen lotion to your face for the daytime. Be sure to re-apply every few hours as it wears off. Use eye serum under my eyes and lip serum for my lips. I wash my face thrice a day, one in the morning, one after coming back home from work and in the night before going to bed.

• 1 month later...

I was always a bit lazy about my skin, though I have a dry skin type and it obviously needs moisturizing. I heard some use oils after moisturizing, should check it myself to see if it brings any actual results...
The thing I definitely like is shea butter unrefined ivory-white, it's another moisturizer and it makes my skin very soft. I'm really a fan of vitamins and natural ingredients, so I use this one regularly.
I think in general I just prefer natural products without GMO when it comes down to skin care.

On 8/23/2016 at 9:50 AM, aminoshiki said:

ohhhh man...

I would read that essay in a heartbeat! What products do you recommend for makeup removal rather than using wipes? 

I love reading about everyone's routines. I used Rodan and Fields for about a year and finally decided recently that I wanted to switch it up; I liked supporting my friends, but also felt like I was supporting a pyramid scheme AND the products were too expensive without being particularly effective for me. I didn't notice much of a difference, although I do like the Microdermabrasion Paste and Multi-Function Eye Cream. The Active Hydration Serum is good too, although I ran out of that and haven't bought more for a while. 

I have combination skin, and my main concern is the wrinkles forming on my forehead and around my eyes. I do breakout every now and then, but not often. I had a horrible problem with acne in high school and college, but I've been on a medication for a few years now that keeps it pretty well under control. It's hormonal, so birth control pills help too. I'd really like to get off the med, but I tried to stop taking it recently and immediately had about 10 zits pop up instantly. ?

I recently decided to give Curology a try, so I have been using their cleanser, Pixi Glow Tonic toner in the morning, a retinol serum, Curology's moisturizer, and the R&F eye cream. I do the same thing at night, except I use Curology's personalized formula cream as well after my retinol serum. I also use the MD paste a couple times a week (if I remember). 

I have been thinking about trying Origins, so it's nice to read that many of you are happy with those products! I like the Curology products so far, but I'm not sold. I'm honestly still trying to figure out what my new regimen is going to be lol. 

• 1 month later...

I really believe in natural home made face packs and that gives very good results plus it's very healthy and without any side effects. Every weekend I apply honey on my face and lemon and sugar mixture sometimes. Also, applying curd and egg separately makes skin glow. Every night I apply Ayurvedic cream for under eye and aloe vera gel for my face. And early morning I wash my face with my special herbs face wash for clear and non oily skin.

• 1 year later...

for the record, lots of skincare people are VERY ANTI the st ives apricot scrub... probably because its a combo of harsh chemicals and physical exfoliant. pretty much all skincare bloggers etc recommend using a chemical exfoliant instead. derma e has a good overnight peel thing 🙂