Favorite Holiday Movies

mariaelise

So, since it's that jolly time of year, what are your favorite holiday movies?

I haven't seen many, so I'm looking forward to your suggestions.

Some of my favorites include The Polar Express, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original), and Elf.

I also like the Nightmare Before Christmas, but I consider that more of a Halloween movie...

What are your go-to holiday movies?

I also always watch The Nightmare Before Christmas (at both Halloween and Christmas and any time in between really) and have since I was a baby. Other favorites of mine are The Santa Claus (just the first one though), any of the Rankin-Bass Christmas specials (especially Rudolph and The Year Without a Santa Claus and The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, though that one rarely gets played on TV), The Muppet Christmas Carol, and the version of The Christmas Carol that stars George C. Scott as Scrooge. How The Grinch Stole Christmas is a good one, and so is The Polar Express (though the book it's based on is also good, if you have or know any children I highly recommend getting it for them and reading with them). 

(And I have a strange fondness for Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer when they start playing it on Cartoon Network during the holiday season,  as bad as it is. Don't ask me why.)

My dad watches "A Christmas Story" over and over and over and.............. They start playing it 24 hrs starting Christmas eve.  Bumpass's!!!!! (when the dogs eat their Christmas turkey-LOL).  Fa ra ra ra ra- ra- ra- ra- ra!

I like Rudolph, Rudolph's shiny New Year, and Frosty the Snowman.

I love the "Rise of the Guardians" and "Arthur Christmas" . Many people say that Rise of the Gaurdians isn't a Christmas movie, but I argue that it can be watched on Christmas, Easter, and other holiday's as they're all in there.

Never really thought about it, but I loved the first Grinch movie when I was a kid, Elf is definitely up there, but other than that I don't really watch movies on Chrismas. I never really had a family to celebrate and sit down and watch stuff with. I'll stick to my anime and TV shows these holidays, and that'll be it. ;)

Most have already been mentioned by pulpfreeoj, rntracy1, and S_A, that I normally watch, but going to have to "old school":

"It's A Charlie Brown Christmas". Along with "It's A Wonderful Life", "Miracle on 34th Street", "White Christmas", "The Bells of St. Mary's", "Holiday Inn", the original "The Bishop's Wife" (Cary Grant; "The Preacher's Wife - Denzel Washington, was a modern "remake"), "Holiday in Connecticut", and, although not a true Christmas movie, "Meet Me In St. Louis".

For a more "modern" comedy, "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". And "Scrooged". Although I haven't watched, "Bad Santa".

Romantic Christmas comedy, "Love Actually".

If you are looking for action/"shoot 'em up", then the first "Die Hard" would fit the bill.

For those who may like, "The Home Alone" series.

I love the "Rise of the Guardians" and "Arthur Christmas" . Many people say that Rise of the Gaurdians isn't a Christmas movie, but I argue that it can be watched on Christmas, Easter, and other holiday's as they're all in there.

These two, right here.  I'd also like to add Tokyo Godfathers, which is also not 100% a Christmas movie and might actually be more of a New Years movie...  It's been a while since I last saw it, but it's definitely set during the winter at least.

Most have already been mentioned by pulpfreeoj, rntracy1, and S_A, that I normally watch, but going to have to "old school":

"It's A Charlie Brown Christmas". Along with "It's A Wonderful Life", "Miracle on 34th Street", "White Christmas", "The Bells of St. Mary's", "Holiday Inn", the original "The Bishop's Wife" (Cary Grant; "The Preacher's Wife - Denzel Washington, was a modern "remake"), "Holiday in Connecticut", and, although not a true Christmas movie, "Meet Me In St. Louis".

Oh, I forgot White Christmas, it's been a long time since I've watched it but my brother had this weird fixation on old musicals as a kid and that was one of his favorites, we had a VHS of it and everything. I remember thinking it was pretty good too. I'll have to watch it again this year.

For a more "modern" comedy, "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation". And "Scrooged". Although I haven't watched, "Bad Santa".

Romantic Christmas comedy, "Love Actually".

If you are looking for action/"shoot 'em up", the the first "Die Hard" would fit the bill.

For those who may like, "The Home Alone" series.

Oh yes definitely, I forgot about Charlie Brown!  I LOVE that one too.  I love Snoopy and Woodstock, they're great! lol

My top 5:

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (only 48 minutes, but I'm still counting it)

A Christmas Carol (1951)

Elf

It's a Wonderful Life

Personally I like the following Christmas specials:

Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer (the stop motion one), Frosty the Snowman, a Year Without Santa Claus (because Snowmiser is awesome), the Santa Clause, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon variation), the Mickey Mouse Christmas Carol with Scrooge McDuck , and two lesser known ones: the Santa Claus brothers, and Christmas is Here Again (the ending makes me cry because it's just so sweet).

I'm excited to see some of these this year because these movies all mean a lot to me.

If you are looking for action/"shoot 'em up", then the first "Die Hard" would fit the bill.

That's funny because the reason I made this topic is because my bf and I were discussing Christmas movies we could watch this year, and he kept insisting Die Hard is a Holiday movie, which cause a debate among our family.  :rolleyes_anim: When I told him I made this, I bet him that someone no one would mention Die Hard... I lost!

I think tonight is going to be spent perusing through all of these movies and making a watch list for the next 10 days. Yay!  :santa:

That's funny because the reason I made this topic is because my bf and I were discussing Christmas movies we could watch this year, and he kept insisting Die Hard is a Holiday movie, which cause a debate among our family.  :rolleyes_anim: When I told him I made this, I bet him that someone no one would mention Die Hard... I lost!

I think tonight is going to be spent perusing through all of these movies and making a watch list for the next 10 days. Yay!  :santa:

My apologies, then, for you losing the bet. The main reason it "fits" as a Christmas movie is because it all happens on/near Christmas Eve, if I remember correctly. Not your "typical" Christmas movie, though.

When I was a kid, I loved Miracle on 34th Street (the remake, I actually never saw the original), Jingle All the Way (lol), Home Alone, It's A Charlie Brown Christmas and Prancer. I guess that's kind of a lot for someone who never celebrated Christmas  :oneeyed01:

• 2 weeks later...