Family Holiday Tradition

Musical_Shoyru

I was just thinking back on the many years of traditions that my family and I had and it always makes me smile to do them every year.

It made me wonder what other families did. Do you have any holiday traditions you do every year? And if so what are they?

Here a few of mine;

• The day after Thanksgiving we all put the tree up as a family.
  • During the month of December, everyone in the house takes turn picking out a Christmas movie each day, starting with our youngest.
  • We have a Christmas box for our advent calendar that myself or my mom puts little goodies in for each of the kids to take out each day such as; gum, toys, videos games, gift cards, hot wheels, nail polish, candy, etc. 
  • On Christmas Eve we all open up two presents; one is a pair of pajamas for us to wear Christmas morning, and the other is a gift that we don't know what it is :D
  • Christmas day we go to the movie theater as a family and watch a movie before dinner
  • On new years day we all build ginger bread houses as a family.

What about you?

We put our tree up and decorate the house the day after Thanksgiving. We also go to rich neighborhoods and look at their lights. We watch the Rankin/Bass classics and someone makes gingerbread houses and loads of different cookies, and Jesus' birthday cake (a chocolate layer cake with cream cheese frosting and cherries) which we eat after Christmas dinner. 

Our family usually decorates after Thanksgiving but a few years we had to before, but we only would turn on the lights after Thanksgiving day. It typically takes 2-3 days for us to decorate because my mom has to tell us about each and every ornament that goes on the tree: who it's from or who made it; when she got it; where she got it (vacations, etc.). I've only heard these stories every year for my entire life...  :P  Sometime in December we bake sugar cookies and then get together with my mom's side to decorate them. When I was young (5-10ish) we would spend a whole day decorating over 500 cookies. Now it's only 200-300 cookies. We also make snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies. My dad makes Chex mix. We open all our presents Christmas Eve after dinner. Santa's gifts are opened Christmas morning before heading to my grandparent's house for a big meal and presents with the extended family. That was my typical Christmas up until I started dating my boyfriend and now we have to fit in my parents, his parents, my grandparents and his grandparents. We now have 5-6 different Christmases with various families any given year. I absolutely LOVE Christmas! Thanks for giving me a place to share!  :laughingsmiley:

Traditionally speaking we don't have too many. Most holidays we spend going to my grandmother's house and having a meal together with the extended family. For New Year's Eve we always make chips and dip and eat them while we watch the ball drop. (CNN for the East Coast, Ryan Seacrest for the West Coast). On New Year's Day we make cinnamon rolls and watch the Rose Parade on the local tv station. Although this year was the last year the long time announcers were still there. Next year it will be two new people because they retired. 

I really enjoyed reading about everyone's family traditions. As a kid the extended family would always meet at my grandmother's house for dinner. She passed away over 10 years ago and it just hasn't been the same since. I rarely see some of my cousins now. My boyfriend and I are shift workers - sometimes one or both of us have to work Christmas Day or Christmas Eve. So now every year is different; we have to be quite flexible. The only thing I can say happens every year now is that for the month of December we have egg nog on hand for those nice cosy rum and egg nogs! 

On Christmas, my Italian family makes pasta and sauce from scratch. 

This year we made gnocchis, and last year it was raviolis.

Now that I am newly married and we have our own home, I'd like to start doing a Yule log.  When we have our baby, I'd like us to open presents on Solstice. 

Halloween is like my Xmas and my favourite time of year.. Even more so now that it's our wedding anniversary.  So I imagine we will have a big feast with lots of decorations that will become our tradition.

We put our tree up and decorate it on the 21st of December, since my birthday is December 20th we never put the tree up before my birthday. My brothers, sisters and I along with my mom and step dad, play games and eat snack foods and appetizers Christmas eve night and when we are done playing games we open all of the presents. Christmas day my siblings and I go to my father's house and open our presents from him and eat an early dinner. After dinner we play video games and other activities until it's time to go home. On New Years, my family does the same thing as we do for Christmas except go to my dad's house and open presents. Since my cousins, grandparents, and my aunts and uncles all live too far away and are busy they never come up for the holidays, but they do send cards. I guess you could say my family is weird.

• 2 weeks later...

It typically takes 2-3 days for us to decorate because my mom has to tell us about each and every ornament that goes on the tree: who it's from or who made it; when she got it; where she got it

~

xD Are you my secret sibling? My mom does the same thing!

Our traditions were a little messed up this year, because my older sister lives by herself now, and my younger sister is away at college.

What we usually do:

*Christmas tree and decoration. The date varies. It can be around Thanksgiving or around the 20th.

*Cookies. We bake sugar cookies and decorate!

*We open one preset on Christmas Eve.

*Cinnamon roles for Christmas Day Breakfasat

*Sauerkraut for New Years Day

• 2 weeks later...