NQ2 Insane mode...ranged or shockwave?

ashleagh

Hello all,

I have started playing through my NQ2 Insane campaign and I am wondering how I should spec Talinia. I have read several guides and most suggest choosing either shockwave or ranged attacks, but not both. So I decided to reach out to the wisdom of those who have played before me  ;)  Which did you choose for your Insane runthrough? Would one or the other give me a better chance to beat the game?

For those who are curious, her skills are currently:

Increased Damage:10

Multiple Targets:2

Magic Resistance:2

Melee Haste:11

Your help and advice is much appreciated!

Aren't all of Talinia's attacks ranged? I never really understood how that one worked. Shockwave seems better to me since it works pretty often, but I upgraded her "Increased Damage" skill to 15 before I moved on to anything else.

However, it's definitely worth mentioning that I only ever completed NQII on Normal mode. It's quite possible that ranged attacks are more important in InSaNe mode. Either way, good luck!

Hello all,

I have started playing through my NQ2 Insane campaign and I am wondering how I should spec Talinia. I have read several guides and most suggest choosing either shockwave or ranged attacks, but not both. So I decided to reach out to the wisdom of those who have played before me  ;)  Which did you choose for your Insane runthrough? Would one or the other give me a better chance to beat the game?

For those who are curious, her skills are currently:

Increased Damage:10

Multiple Targets:2

Magic Resistance:2

Melee Haste:11

Your help and advice is much appreciated!

Honestly, I have played NQ2 over and over and over again.  I have beaten all 3 modes and then evil again twice.  I absolutely LOVE the game.  It is up to you, but BOTH of them are useless to be honest.  You REALLY need multiple targets and magic resistance.  As you progress in the game, you will have multiple enemies and you will need to be able to hit them all.  I would start working on building on your multiple targets and not even worry about the others.  Also, I wouldn't build them all the way up to 15 either.  You will pick up offensive and defensive weapons along the way that add +1 to +4.  So, building your skills to 15 then having a weapon that adds a +4 is absolutely useless as you are getting no benefit from it and you could have used 4 skill points somewhere else.  Just my advice.  Good luck to you.

I love playing NQ2.  I beat it twice on normal, once on evil and am working on Insane right now!  

I never go for Talina's ranged attack.  I always do shockwave.  I do this in conjunction with Rohane, because I level up his speed like a monster.  The idea is that Talina stuns them, and hopefully those few extra seconds are enough for Rohane to get a serious hit or two.  With his critical hits, he usually kills enemies swiftly. 

Because Talina only gets targeted 1 out of 4 times, ranged attacks seem pretty useless to me.  It's a skill that's only used 25% of the time.  Shockwave hits all enemies whenever it lands, so you'll actually use shockwave more frequently.  It's basically offensive vs defensive.  Which way makes more sense with the style you like, you know?

Thanks for all of the input!

I totally agree with leaving some room in my skills, Tracy. I made the mistake of levelling to 15 in my normal runthrough and was so disappointed when I got crazy bonuses on my final gear. 

Magic resistance and Multiple Targets definitely seem like a must haves. Perhaps I should build those up a little sooner.

blinkk5, I am kind of following the guide here:http://www.neopets.com/~winnie_1964which suggests that shockwave isn't effective against Terask and ranged attacks is...but shockwave is very helpful in the random battles. I guess I could see how things are going later on in the game before devoting any points to either of these.