Battle Counts

Musical_Shoyru

Does anyone know if all battles you do (by fighting the certain Obelisk enemies of course) count toward your battle score?

For example, I've done ten battles in the last 24 hours and cannot get anymore items, will any of the battles I do now before my 10 battles reset count toward helping my team?

Thanks.

That is a good question. Personally, I don't believe completing more than the 10 minimum battles helps your faction towards winning the Skirmish. My thoughts:

1) You only have to complete 10 battles to get the "boons", if your faction wins.

2) I remember reading a Neopian Times editorial stating the skirmish "winning" faction was randomly picked. (Looking for editorial).

3) If it was determined by how many battles, then I'm sure factions with "less popular" boons would never win, or, Neopians would be able to determine the winner by getting everyone to join a certain faction for that week. (Neither have seemed to happen, in the past).

Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be way off base. But, if the amount of battles determined the skirmish winner, then I'd expect thought #3 to be happening often.

That is a good question. Personally, I don't believe completing more than the 10 minimum battles helps your faction towards winning the Skirmish. My thoughts:

1) You only have to complete 10 battles to get the "boons", if your faction wins.

2) I remember reading a Neopian Times editorial stating the skirmish "winning" faction was randomly picked. (Looking for editorial).

3) If it was determined by how many battles, then I'm sure factions with "less popular" boons would never win, or, Neopians would be able to determine the winner by getting everyone to join a certain faction for that week. (Neither have seemed to happen, in the past).

Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be way off base. But, if the amount of battles determined the skirmish winner, then I'd expect thought #3 to be happening often.

Oh! I always thought that's what happened. I would always pick the faction that I saw everyone voting for on TDN lol I feel silly now.

From TNT's answer in editorial 594, it makes it sound like the winning faction is actually the one with the most wins over the course of the week

Hi, TNT! It's always been a dream of mine to get published in the Editorial. Anyway, I do have a burning question for you: I've seen many Neoboards lately encouraging people to join the same faction to "guarantee" a win for one of the three sides of the skirmishes. Is that cheating, or is the size of the faction irrelevant to determining the winner? Thanks for 10+ awesome years! ~the_pink_cow959
If a lot of people on the boards all decide to join one team, that's perfectly within the rules. However, even if that possibly results in the majority joining a certain faction, a larger team size doesn't guarantee a win. Much like the Altador Cup, it isn't the size of the team that matters, but the effort they put forth

For example, if everyone just joins a massive team trying to "guarantee" a win, but then puts no effort into it because they think they'll coast along to a new avatar because of the number of people, then don't be surprised when that team loses.

Naturally, if 90% of people join the same faction and only do the 10 battles, they're still likely to win because of the sheer number of people doing minimum battles. However, if the other 10% join a different faction and every one of them do hundreds of battles, they could still win. We often see this when the Brute squad are one of the three factions for the week. I know a lot of die-hard battlers support the brute squad, and they tend to win quite frequently, regardless of what factions they're against, and regardless of what faction the majority seem to be joining. They are the ones doing the hundreds of battles, whereas I'm willing to bet most of us just do the minimum to get the boons. I know I usually don't bother with more because the prizes for the challenger arenas aren't great, so I usually do the faction battles after I've already gotten my 15 items a day from battling in better arenas, so I'm not winning anything from the battles and would rather spend my time elsewhere.

That is a very interesting question and I love all the answers which were given.

I'm still wondering though, if I fight 25 battles per day instead of 10, for example, will it actually make a difference in helping my team? Or are the additionnal fights after a certain number not even considered?

From TNT's answer in editorial 594, it makes it sound like the winning faction is actually the one with the most wins over the course of the week

Naturally, if 90% of people join the same faction and only do the 10 battles, they're still likely to win because of the sheer number of people doing minimum battles. However, if the other 10% join a different faction and every one of them do hundreds of battles, they could still win. We often see this when the Brute squad are one of the three factions for the week. I know a lot of die-hard battlers support the brute squad, and they tend to win quite frequently, regardless of what factions they're against, and regardless of what faction the majority seem to be joining. They are the ones doing the hundreds of battles, whereas I'm willing to bet most of us just do the minimum to get the boons. I know I usually don't bother with more because the prizes for the challenger arenas aren't great, so I usually do the faction battles after I've already gotten my 15 items a day from battling in better arenas, so I'm not winning anything from the battles and would rather spend my time elsewhere.

I am the EXACT same way.  I get my battle prizes first and THEN do my skirmishes.  Once in a while you get codestones from the skirmishes but it is so rare it isn't worth giving up the guaranteed better prizes from the other arenas for the chance.  So, like you, daily battles first, skirmishes later.

That is a very interesting question and I love all the answers which were given.

I'm still wondering though, if I fight 25 battles per day instead of 10, for example, will it actually make a difference in helping my team? Or are the additionnal fights after a certain number not even considered?

It can't hurt to do more than 10 battles right?  My feeling is, I try to do AT LEAST my 10 battles and if I have the time/opportunity to do more then I do them, if I don't, then at least I got my 10 done.  I always try to get at least 50 battles done, but as long as I can get 20 done, I feel I at least help my team.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days now and what Scoobert said.  I usually agree with Scoobert but a couple of things have been running through my mind:

#1. Instead of, you ONLY have to complete 10 battles to get the boons, I would look at it like, you have to complete AT LEAST 10 battles.  I think Neo did it for fairness.  It wouldn't be fair if people signed up with a faction and didn't do ANY battles at all or did 1 or 2 battles and got the same prizes as those who did 100's of battles.  There has to be a minimum number, 10 just so happens to be that number.

#2.  I wouldn't doubt that.  lol.  Sometimes it does seem to be that way.  It seems like EVERYONE picks a certain faction, does 100's of battles and a different faction wins regardless.

#3.  Factions with "less popular" boons will still win because people need the avatars and site themes.  Also, what is a "less popular" boon to one person might be a great boon to someone else.  For example, I could care less about the cartogriphication boon, but a friend of mine LOVES it and chooses factions with it all the time. 

#3b. Getting everyone to join a certain faction.  If 10 battles is the requirement and anything after that was a moot point, then it would ABSOLUTELY matter how many people joined a certain faction.  As long as everyone who joined the faction did their 10 battles, the faction with the most people would always win. 

You know I always agree with you Scoobert, ;)  I was just thinking about this subject and everyone's responses to it.  lol

Edited by rntracy1

• 7 years later...

There is no limit that caps off battles. All battles count and the more you battle the better your team does. HOWEVER due to the way that I understand that the winning team is calculated. After all the battles are done they take the number of wins and divide that by the number of players to get an average. The faction with the best average wins. This means that there is only so much you can do if no one is interested in doing more than the bare minimum. Also, remember this, the bare minimum is to get the boons, so everyone is doing at least that much; therefore doing 10 battles will do nothing to help your team, in fact, you will be like an anchor around the neck of your team. Figure this, in order to get more than bare minimum which is the loser each player has to carry the weight of the lazy ones. So if you have 99 lazy battlers and 1 doing 1000 battles that raises the average from 10 wins per battler to about 20. Therefore basically the faction with the most dedicated players is the one that wins. I've seen it recommended that the winning 100 battles is the competitive number to shoot for in order to carry the dead weight. 

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Duma) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please do not bump topics that are ancient, please create a new topic.
Per the reason above, this topic has been LOCKED.

• Duma locked this topic