What are some veggies that you love or hate?

aminoshiki

I got excited the other day when the asparagus went on sale at my grocery store. Then I laughed, thinking of how much I used to hate the stuff when I was a kid. Turns out I just never liked the way it was cooked. So I thought I would start this post to see what vegetables you guys love and hate. Maybe there are some secret recipes you guys know that are the "trick" to making certain veggies taste better.

For me, I am obsessed with onions and garlic. I like to put them in EVERYTHING. A lot, too. My friends often compain that I use too much, even when I swear I can't even taste it. This applies to both raw and cooked. I may have a problem. lol.

Two veggies I can't stand are bell peppers and celery. No matter how little is put in a dish I can always taste it. So gross.

A few others I thought were disgusting too, until I got older and started cooking. (Mainly when I had to shop for my own groceries and realized how cheap some of them were. Hooray, adulthood.) Those would include asparagus, green beans, brussel sprouts, zucchini, and spinach.

How about you guys? Any vegetables you believe should be banned from existence?

I used to be unable to eat anything with onion in it. It would make me gag, no matter how tiny the amount was. I wouldn't say that I've grown to love - or even like - them, but I certainly tolerate them now that I'm older.

Also, I'm basically still a child and hate probably 95% of all vegetables. Maybe someday I'll grow up, but today is not that day.

I would, however, also be interested to hear about people's recipes for making some of them taste better. Even if I still don't like it, I'm sure my boyfriend would like/appreciate them.

Celery, and asparagus (unless cooked a certain way) are vegetables I can't stand to eat. I don't mind onions or spicy foods but I can't stand t eat peppers although I used to love Bell Peppers.  Okra, Squash, Lettuce,Cabbage, Tomatoes, Collard Greens, and Broccoli are my favorite vegetables.  I think I've gotten some weird looks from people because for lunch since there isn't much that I like that can be put in a lunch-box or just general lack of time I often have a head of lettuce or cabbage in a bag with some tomatoes and ham. I think it had gotten to the point where a teacher took notice after half a year and said I probably need to eat something else for nutrition reasons. Among friends cabbage and lettuce are jokes now.                                      

I've tried putting cream cheese on celery but it still is pretty gross to me. I like the crunch it makes but that's about it. Depending on how you fry things can make them sorta unhealthy but with light batter it should be fine, frying vegetables can help with the taste. Fried squash is the best, in my opinion.

Peas.  People from the Midwest dump them in everything and they just don't belong in some dishes.  They are fine by themselves, but randomly put in every pasta, soup, casserole, and salad dish in excessive and unnecessary.

I like brussel sprouts when they have been baked long enough to not taste like onions or cabbage.  They are surprisingly good with green olives and lemon.

I'm not a fan of the way my mom cooks most vegetables, or doesn't cook them, as is often the case. She just kind of sticks them in the microwave so they heat up a bit but the texture is still raw. My dad on the other hand likes to take asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts and sometimes green beans, and he mixes them in a bowl with some olive oil and basalmic vinegar, then puts them on a baking sheet and roasts them in the oven until they're just a bit crispy. It is my favorite way to eat vegetables.

My husband and I both cannot tolerate onion.

But we're obsessed with garlic.  Any recipe that calls for onion, I substitute garlic.

I have never met a brussel sprout that I liked.

I used to dislike asparagus and eggplant, now I love them (white asparagus was my gateway to green).

I love like all other veggies :3

As mentioned above, I've also found that brussel sprouts taste best (to me) when baked. Any other method is horrid. A little olive oil and salt, also some rosemary and garlic...yumm.

Onions can have so many different textures depending on how they are cooked. I once had a friend who said they were too slimy for her. So I snuck some raw onions into a potato salad and she loved it! I just slice the onion very thinly and let it soak in cold water so it doesn't have that burning sensation. According to my mother, raw onions help with high blood pressure, so I guess there's that too.

That reminds me...I have another friend whose mother believes that all orange vegetables are evil. She fed them to her kids as they grew up, but none ever touched her plate. Like legit she won't eat anything orange. It's just too funny. :D

I cannot stand almost EVERY leafy vegetable in existence. Every one of them tastes super bitter to me and when a friend of mind who loves them tell me that they're sweet I had to do a double take. I don't know which one of us are weirder. 

I'm ok with cabbages and lettuce only because they taste like nothing. And the crunch is good for my burger. Top it off with caramelised onions, fried garlic and mustard. Yum.

There's hardly any vegetable that's not my friend. I never used to like green bell peppers but I'll eat them now. I really don't like rocket (arugula) BLECH! That stuff's nasty! But apart from that I'm cool.

My favourites are cougettes (zucchini) and brocolli, garlic and red peppers, butternut squash and edamame. I particularly like roasting veggies too. Toss them together with some oil, and maybe a bit of seasoning (though not always) and after 30/40 minutes in the oven you have a delicious meal! If you've got a thinly sliced potato in there you've got a satisfying meal, and a chopped bratwurst and there's your protein...it's a good thing I've just eaten, or I'dbe getting hungry. :laughingsmiley:

As a kid I was never a fan of peas (probably I would watch my cousins open up a can and dump it onto sandwich bread and eat it) and still refuse to eat them to this day, unless they're hidden in a dish and I can't taste them. I loved eating raw veggies; I favored bell peppers. 

My favorite vegetable today would have to be brussel sprouts, especially when they're covered in salt, pepper, and butter. 

To the recipe part..... I love sauteing mushrooms, garlic, and onions with a bit of  butter! 

My favorite vegetable recipe is for a pasta and vegetable dish.  You throw a package of pasta (I prefer linguine )  peas, one onion, a bit of corn kernels, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes (LOTS) together with a bit of vegetable broth and cooking until it makes a sauce and the pasta is done.  I love it! 

I pretty much enjoy all vegetables. There really isn't one that comes to mind when I try to think of one that I dislike. Except maybe for raw onions....If they are fried up or cooked into something I can eat them but raw ones are pretty rough. 

I cannot STAND mushrooms or eggplant. Ewwwww!

I love all other vegetables, though. ^_^

Wait...I do NOT like olives either. Is that a fruit? Hmmmm...

I cannot STAND mushrooms or eggplant. Ewwwww!

I hate mushrooms too! I didn't even include them because thinking about them is so gross. I mean c'mon...they're fungi..blech!

And I enjoy eggplant even though I'm pretty sure I'm allergic haha! My throat gets pretty itchy every time I eat them. I didn't even realize that that wasn't normal until recently.

I will say I typically only like Japanese eggplant. It's a skinnier version that I think tastes better than the other fat ones (wherever those are from). They taste yummy with a little soysauce and bonito flakes (also a Japanese thing). I bet they would be good fried with sesame oil and soy sauce as well.

Broccoli is the best! And raw carrots are the worst. 

Also, has anyone ever tried brussel sprouts (the notoriously hated vegetable)? They taste like asparagus in my opinion, and I like them.