Nay for faulty parts

jingfah

Somewhere around Oct-Nov of last year, my boyfriend helped me build my own desktop though the website he used to build his. I spent a lot of money, but I was really excited to finally have something gaming ready so that I could keep up with him (we game together and obviously his computer is vastly superior to my laptop). When it arrived, he helped me set it up and... they had sent us a faulty graphics card.

This was frustrating, naturally, but it was the lack of customer service that made it a pretty bad experience. I had to pay for shipping it back, but I wanted my computer to work so I sent it though express shipping. They sent the new part back via standard shipping.

My computer is 3-4 months old now and I've had to re-install the OS 4 times due to various problems. Even though I only use it for gaming and I'm very careful about what websites I go to on it, I assumed it was my fault somehow. Or maybe the fault of Windows 10, since I've never had so many problems with a computer in my life.

I've just taken my computer back to the repair shop for the second time, and they've discovered the hard drive is actually failing. My brand new, very expensive, hard drive.

Luckily the repair shop is very nice and offered to replace it and re-install my OS again for pretty cheap.

Needless to say, I'll never be building a computer though that website again.

I've also figured out that one of the USB ports doesn't work. ahahahahahahaa i hate everything and everyone.

What a horrible experience for you.

We had a similar thing happen with an IBM computer (this was wayyyyy back in 1998)...our particular computer was a lemon. The company has a Lemon Law in place, and were totally shocked that I kept all three receipts, so when the computer failed once again, after the third time, we got a new computer.

I hope you get some good luck with your computer. Best of luck to you!

Somewhere around Oct-Nov of last year, my boyfriend helped me build my own desktop though the website he used to build his. I spent a lot of money, but I was really excited to finally have something gaming ready so that I could keep up with him (we game together and obviously his computer is vastly superior to my laptop). When it arrived, he helped me set it up and... they had sent us a faulty graphics card.

This was frustrating, naturally, but it was the lack of customer service that made it a pretty bad experience. I had to pay for shipping it back, but I wanted my computer to work so I sent it though express shipping. They sent the new part back via standard shipping.

My computer is 3-4 months old now and I've had to re-install the OS 4 times due to various problems. Even though I only use it for gaming and I'm very careful about what websites I go to on it, I assumed it was my fault somehow. Or maybe the fault of Windows 10, since I've never had so many problems with a computer in my life.

I've just taken my computer back to the repair shop for the second time, and they've discovered the hard drive is actually failing. My brand new, very expensive, hard drive.

Luckily the repair shop is very nice and offered to replace it and re-install my OS again for pretty cheap.

Needless to say, I'll never be building a computer though that website again.

I've also figured out that one of the USB ports doesn't work. ahahahahahahaa i hate everything and everyone.

My son builds gaming computers and he says do not trust the computer repair shops at all.  He said that there have been tests done where the hard drives have simply been unplugged and brought to the shop and they say the customer needs a new hard drive.  They couldn't even figure out it was just unplugged.  Just my opinion, but are you running windows 10 on any other computer without issues?  IDK much about windows 10 as it is quite new, but many new OS have issues when they first come out.  Incompatibilities, etc.  I feel that is the reason they were offering for free for a limited time.  Get people to be their beta testers, get the bugs and kinks worked out, redo the software, then sell it.  JMO.

What a horrible experience for you.

We had a similar thing happen with an IBM computer (this was wayyyyy back in 1998)...our particular computer was a lemon. The company has a Lemon Law in place, and were totally shocked that I kept all three receipts, so when the computer failed once again, after the third time, we got a new computer.

I hope you get some good luck with your computer. Best of luck to you!

That sounds awful. But thank you for the well wishes!

My son builds gaming computers and he says do not trust the computer repair shops at all.  He said that there have been tests done where the hard drives have simply been unplugged and brought to the shop and they say the customer needs a new hard drive.  They couldn't even figure out it was just unplugged.  Just my opinion, but are you running windows 10 on any other computer without issues?  IDK much about windows 10 as it is quite new, but many new OS have issues when they first come out.  Incompatibilities, etc.  I feel that is the reason they were offering for free for a limited time.  Get people to be their beta testers, get the bugs and kinks worked out, redo the software, then sell it.  JMO.

See, that's usually how I feel - I am suspicious of everyone and everything. But the first time I brought my desktop in was because my boyfriend and I had exhausted every option we could to try to fix it. No one had touched it before us except for the people that built it, and we thoroughly checked it ourselves before setting it up the first time. It just.. hasn't done well at all. I've had problem after problem after problem, and finally the problems got too big for me to fix on my own.

So I did some searching for repair places, checked all the reviews, and picked the place with the best reviews and the cheapest price. They were up-front from the beginning about cost (whereas most other places just wanted me to bring it in before they could give an estimate). And they were able to get it up and running for me in under a day. I have no idea how they did it when I spent hours on it and ended up crying out of sheer frustration - but I guess that's why they're professionals and I'm not.

I don't have any other computers running Windows 10 because when I upgraded my laptop, it started running at 100% disk and it was impossible to do anything at all. I quickly reverted back. It would be easy to accuse the repair shop of planting a virus (which was my boyfriend's initial reaction when I told him I wanted to take it to a repair shop), but when I got it back I thoroughly searched my computer and it was perfectly fine.

Could Windows 10 be the problem? Heck yes it could. In fact, that's originally what I thought the problem was.

Could it be a faulty part? I admit this is what I'm leaning toward because the people who built my computer for me have had a terrible track record so far.

Could it have been the repair shop? Possibly, but I honestly don't think so. I've been having a lot of problems with the computer since way before I broke down and took it in.

That sounds awful. But thank you for the well wishes!

See, that's usually how I feel - I am suspicious of everyone and everything. But the first time I brought my desktop in was because my boyfriend and I had exhausted every option we could to try to fix it. No one had touched it before us except for the people that built it, and we thoroughly checked it ourselves before setting it up the first time. It just.. hasn't done well at all. I've had problem after problem after problem, and finally the problems got too big for me to fix on my own.

So I did some searching for repair places, checked all the reviews, and picked the place with the best reviews and the cheapest price. They were up-front from the beginning about cost (whereas most other places just wanted me to bring it in before they could give an estimate). And they were able to get it up and running for me in under a day. I have no idea how they did it when I spent hours on it and ended up crying out of sheer frustration - but I guess that's why they're professionals and I'm not.

I don't have any other computers running Windows 10 because when I upgraded my laptop, it started running at 100% disk and it was impossible to do anything at all. I quickly reverted back. It would be easy to accuse the repair shop of planting a virus (which was my boyfriend's initial reaction when I told him I wanted to take it to a repair shop), but when I got it back I thoroughly searched my computer and it was perfectly fine.

Could Windows 10 be the problem? Heck yes it could. In fact, that's originally what I thought the problem was.

Could it be a faulty part? I admit this is what I'm leaning toward because the people who built my computer for me have had a terrible track record so far.

Could it have been the repair shop? Possibly, but I honestly don't think so. I've been having a lot of problems with the computer since way before I broke down and took it in.

I am glad you found a reputable repair shop.  They are definitely out there.  There are MANY reputable businesses out there.  It's the non-reputable ones that give them a bad name.  That's why we do our homework, do the research, and hope it pays off.  Sounds like it has for you.  Good luck with your computer.  Hope it is working better for you and you whoop your boyfriend's..................................gaming computer :whistle: