what is a retired item?

charelan

I always save retired items in my SDB thinking that the items will no longer be given out and that the item will become more rare... But years later I still receive the same 'retired' items from the game.

In the context of neopets what does retired mean? Clearly it's not what I think it is.

Charelan, thanks for asking that question.  I always wondered the same thing.  I too have hoarded loads of "nurakos" (whatever those are-lol) and other "retired" items in case they go up in price some day.  One retired item (of probably many) that doesn't get given out a lot, is the icy negg.  It seems that the ones that ARE worth a lot, don't get handed out much.  Hence the reason they are worth a lot. :rolleyes_anim:

I would love to see Neopets redefine their rarity index but with how many items there are, it's probably never going to happen... So to cover all bases: hoard everything  :yes:

I would love to see Neopets redefine their rarity index but with how many items there are, it's probably never going to happen... So to cover all bases: hoard everything  :yes:

I would too. It'd make things simpler in the long run. Like, retired items that can still be won would be maybe Rarity 170, to avoid confusion with actual retired items that are actually impossible to buy from the in-game shops.  Do Cove items have their own rarity number? I've never owned a Cove Item I don't think. So I'm unsure of that.

Anyway Charelan, best bet that if it's a retired book, stamp, coin it's probably worth a good chunk of NP. Unless it came out of the Advent Calendar. Those seem to take longer to appreciate in value. XD

different kinds of retired items.

tnt says, this item will no longer stock in main shops, its suddenly retired.

some are considered semi'retired, like inside the mind of a lupe is still in the prize pool from one of those kings.  you can still get wriggling grubs from eating a half bitten apple, methinks.  those kinds of retired items arent likely to be worth collecting unless somehow those apples are retired and the kings quit giving out those books.

others are one time prize or code items, or 'special,' and will go up in price.  but sometimes tnt kicks you in the face by re-mass releasing them.  i bought a few things seeing the price increase year by year..  and then it all went to heck when a few items i was was hoarding were given out again as a new prize sometime somehow somewhere.  so someone else got all my nps and i got nada to show for it.  

so.  be careful what retired items you hoard.

I don't think you really have to be careful what you hoard. You have unlimited space in your SDB and you never know what events will come out that you could use those items for and the value suddenly goes up. Charity Corner is a HUGE one for that.

I usually hoard everything I get, retired or not, besides junk items. I pick and choose what to put in my shop (as to make extra NP's) but most things go into my SDB lol

Hoard all the things!

I'm the same..I figure that even if a "retired" item goes down in price, there may still come a day when it will go back up again.

Also, I'll confirm the wriggling grub coming out of the apple event. I just stashed one away in my SDB not too long ago after it popped out of my neopet's lunch.

You hoarders are nuts. Im the opposite. I try to get rid of stuff in my SDB. I don't like having low NP retired items hanging around. Or low np items in general.

I just bought an Orange Chocolate Gelert at a high price tag. That one is retired and it's not being given away/restocked anywhere. I like to collect chocolate so it's in my gallery. Aside from collectors, I don't know who would want an item like that. It's not even gourmet. Demand plays a big part in retired items like that. I can't imagine that I'd resell it because there's really no demand for an Orange Chocolate Gelert.