Computer Freak Out

Munchies

Earlier today my laptop had a bit of a freak out and I'm a little concerned. I was watching Netflix through Chrome and the window started changing sizes and moving off to the side of the window. I managed to close it and tried reopening it thinking that it was a lag, but new Chrome windows started opened (I counted at least 50) then my file explorer window began opening (I counted at least 20). 

So I did a hard shut down and restarted the computer in safe mode and did a virus scan with AVG. Then I shut it down for a little while; Afterwards I rebooted it normally and things seemed to be fine. I cleared my cache, cookies, and browsing history off of Chrome and ran another virus scan (just to be sure) and then I also ran a malware scan with Malewarebytes. It found a threat: PUP.optional.crossrider. I found some articles about it, but I still don't really understand what it does other than being installed when installing software from other sites (which hasn't been done from my knowledge and recollection). I removed the threats and things are still running fine.

I'm wondering what preventative things that I can do besides having my virus scanner run daily, because I really don't want to boot into safe mode and run it every time this happens again or something similar happens. 

BTW I have a Dell Inspiron 15 running Windows 10 

If it didn't piggyback on a download you did yourself, then it's possible that you visited somewhere that either had an add or a a script on the page that infected you with that. I'd suggest to maybe try looking at a browser add-on that blocks scrips and flash things from running unless you deem them safe. For Firefox I use No-Script, so I'm not sure if or what Chrome has that does that. Something for you to look into at least.

Definitely agree with Mouseykins. Unfortunately, some antivirus programs do not check for or detect "Potentially Unwanted Programs" (PUPs), as they do not consider them viruses. But, you should still make sure your AV program checks for antivirus updates/definition files every day. Most have a scheduling option to do so. Updated definition files may protect you from new threats, but if your current option is to check once a week, then it may not be as effective. Make sure your browser has pop-up windows disabled (usually the default option for most). Some browsers may have the option of disabling "javascript", within its settings. "No-script" is a good option, as she suggested, and you may also want to consider an ad block add-on/plugin, like Ad Block or Ad Block Plus. Both are free, and available for most browsers. They can help block/deter what may have happened to you. "Bad" ads can be found on "good" websites, like FB, and even Neopets. If you did happen to notice what ad it was, please report it to the site. They may not know they have a "bad" ad, and can report it, to their ad provider, and get it removed. Finally, know where you go, and be aware there could be risks when deviating from your "norm". What do I mean by that? Well, well established sites want your patronage and trust, like FB, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Apple, etc. Their sites are "relatively" safe, and if they find a problem, like bad ads, they will take care of it. On the other hand, If you find a site that has a free download, but wants you to register for a faster download, or when you run the downloaded program, it asks to install 5 other programs you don't want, it may not be a trustworthy site. If you ever "feel" the site may be risky, close the tab or back out. No site is 100% safe. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Some sites still use Adobe Flash for ads. You could also set your browser so it asks you to enable Flash - "Always Ask To Activate", for every website. That could help, too.

The No-Script add-on I have for Firefox also blocks flash player and javascript from activating unless it's been allowed.

The No-Script add-on I have for Firefox also blocks flash player and javascript from activating unless it's been allowed.

I found the version for Chrome: ScriptSafe. It's definitely something to get used to because of javascript and flash player being blocked. I also changed my setting on my AVG scanner to look for tracking cookies (I'm not sure why it isn't included in the whole computer scan) which was certainly adventure.