Is there anything that makes you angry about Neopets?

Arlo

Because I've just discovered something that kind of angered me.

I have Autism, but neopets has deemed the names "Autism" and "Autistic" as inappropriate. Blind and Deaf are fine, so is Downsyndrome, Aspergers, Specialneeds, Spastic (which, at least in my country, is deemed a slur), Tourette, amongst others.

Why is it that only Autism seems to be "inappropriate", despite this being a kids site and it being something that lots of kids deal with on a day to day basis...?

Maybe it's under their "hot topic" clause for banning a lot of conversation points - politics, homosexuality, self-harm, etc?

I'm sorry that you're angered by this, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that the other names you threw out are acceptable.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just reminded myself to go back and read the editorials I always forget to read, and I found this which baffles, annoys, and angers me in last weeks:

So I was talking on the boards about using Control F to sniff out 5k and 10k items in large shops, and I was wondering if that is allowed or not.
I would steer clear, especially holding down any button to continually refresh looks highly suspicious to support! So, to keep everything fair and safe, I would say you guys are obviously welcome to refresh but try not to hold down any keys or do anything that results in 5 or more refreshes per second (that's sketchy)!

Control F is find on page.  She seems to think it's refresh (ctrl-R, F5, command instead of control on mac).  How can anyone these days not know those two apart, ESPECIALLY someone who works at a tech company?  HOW!?!?  Who is neopets hiring that they don't know such basic computer competency?

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably going to out me in terms of my age, but the entire addition of the NC Shop. In the past, you could only buy things via Neopoints, and I preferred that. It put everyone on the same playing field. Given this site has a target audience of younger kids/teens and is owned by Nickelodeon, it seems crummy to push real money items. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, sunshineparadox said:

This is probably going to out me in terms of my age, but the entire addition of the NC Shop. In the past, you could only buy things via Neopoints, and I preferred that. It put everyone on the same playing field. Given this site has a target audience of younger kids/teens and is owned by Nickelodeon, it seems crummy to push real money items. 

Nickelodeon doesn't own neopets anymore. They sold it to JS in 2014.

I hate how short the editorial has been lately. Five questions? I bet she sent herself last issue's happy thoughts request.

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

Nickelodeon doesn't own neopets anymore. They sold it to JS in 2014.

I hate how short the editorial has been lately. Five questions? I bet she sent herself last issue's happy thoughts request.

And JS was just bought by dragon-whatever, so now they are our new overlords.  Or at least our overlords' overlords.

• 2 months later...

This topic's title should be "Is there anything that doesn't make you angry about Neopets?"

• They have an extremely big list of inappropriate words like uncle and basement. It's very uncanny.
  • I dislike the fact that their sole target market is kids and tweens whereas their entire market is actually 18+. When Adam and Donna created this website they actually targeted 16-25 year olds!
  • Their freezing sprees. They freeze members for the silliest things. They even freeze members to protect their accounts from being hacked and then sometimes never unfreeze their accounts for them again. They have been lately freezing accounts that were created with "inappropriate" names like accounts with the word "kill" in them and transfer all their belongings and pets to a brand new account with an appropriate name. So suddenly people who've had 10 year old accounts have to start off again with a 1 month account because of their username.
  • Their customer support that almost never replies back.
  • Their games that suddenly came to an end like KeyQuest and Ghoul Catchers for ios.
  • Their lack of transparency.

I'll keep adding to this list as I think of some more.

Regardless, I still love Neopets :laugh: There's just something about it that always drags me back to it after each hiatus. I can't explain it.

On 27/12/2017 at 2:59 PM, Hana95 said:

They have an extremely big list of inappropriate words like uncle and basement. It's very uncanny.

The other day I couldn't write "Amusement" in the forum, and I have no idea why! And it was to quote one of neopets items. So yes, that annoys me.

I dislike the fact that their sole target market is kids and tweens whereas their entire market is actually 18+. When Adam and Donna created this website they actually targeted 16-25 year olds!

I don't think there are kids playing it to be honest... not with the advanced technology we have nowadays. Older people (like me) play it because it is something that is very nostalgic.

Their freezing sprees. They freeze members for the silliest things. They even freeze members to protect their accounts from being hacked and then sometimes never unfreeze their accounts for them again. They have been lately freezing accounts that were created with "inappropriate" names like accounts with the word "kill" in them and transfer all their belongings and pets to a brand new account with an appropriate name. So suddenly people who've had 10 year old accounts have to start off again with a 1 month account because of their username.

I would be very very very VERY pissed if something like that would happen to me. What I am very angry is the fact that I'm waiting for months now to trade a pet I wanted really bad with a friend that got her account banned "for protection". And she's still waiting for a response.. 

Their games that suddenly came to an end like KeyQuest and Ghoul Catchers for ios.

Habitarium :crying_anim:

I'd like to add something that really annoys me. It is the fact that many many many ACCOUNTS that their owners don't log FOR YEARS. Like 12 years... 10... 8 ... and they don't delete the pets or make them available for adoption! Because most of the names in this world are taken by people that will never EVER come back. 

That is what annoys me the most. When we register in neopets we agree that the pets belong to neopets.com and that they can delete them if they have to but well.. just words. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5902151

1 hour ago, Yuiina said:

The other day I couldn't write "Amusement" in the forum, and I have no idea why! And it was to quote one of neopets items. So yes, that annoys me.

They changed the filter so now any word that has a banned word in the middle of it will also be banned. So there's a biological, sex-related word in the middle of "amusement" so it gets filtered out. Discovered a bunch of words like that when I was editing a pet page for the first time in three years. You can't even quote the Tombola saying you got a booby prize anymore. It's truly ridiculous.

I'm still really, really angry that there's never been an official cancellation of Key Quest, that last word is "it's still something we're trying to do." Either give it up or be realistic and say "we might not have the staffing or funding to do this for a few years."

The one big thing that jumps out at me is the ridiculous prices for neopoint items.  Seriously, millions of points for a paintbrush?  They shouldn't be so expensive or rare.  That's a big part of the fun with a neopet.  It's frustrating not to be able to get a white or brown paintbrush, without having to spend millions of neopoint.  And the neohomes need work.  So many items are glitched.  They never followed through on the additional walls and windows.  You can't get curtains!  It would be nice if all the neohome and garden items worked in both types of neohomes.

On 30/12/2017 at 6:17 PM, Trea said:

The one big thing that jumps out at me is the ridiculous prices for neopoint items.  Seriously, millions of points for a paintbrush?  They shouldn't be so expensive or rare.  That's a big part of the fun with a neopet.  It's frustrating not to be able to get a white or brown paintbrush, without having to spend millions of neopoint.  And the neohomes need work.  So many items are glitched.  They never followed through on the additional walls and windows.  You can't get curtains!  It would be nice if all the neohome and garden items worked in both types of neohomes.

I understand your frustration about the prices... for simple colors like brown, white, orange. I think other prices like Elderly, Faerie, Maraquan, Desert, Plushie are acceptable :) 

Indeed, neoHomes annoy me as well because there is so much potential in it and they ignored it completely.. even the contenst has stopped running.. 
Many glitched items.. no contest.. few items.. :( 

Dressing up my Neopets and decorating my Neohomes are my favorite things to do on the site.  That's what I spend my NP and rare NC on.  I think they need to fix the glitches and make more items available.  Some are not even in galleries to look at.

I really have to agree with everything listed here, especially Hana95. Freezing is the first thing that always comes to mind due to my issue. Having someone out right tell you that your account should have been unfrozen but oops sorry, it is now in the purge line...just yeah. It really hurt since I had so much time invested and was a top player in many aspects. I could rant about that situation forever.

Secondly, the inability to make posts half the time and needing to copy everything before trying to post...just in case something gets caught in the filter.

I can't even use the code to make an avatar page unless I remove the snowflake avatar because their OWN AVATAR NAME is not allowed on pages, lol.

Overall, I prefer the old neopets by a long shot but I do think customer support has gotten better especially since you can now also track them down in facebook...however, their actual responses can be underwhelming.

I am trying to enjoy it again, but it isn't a site I sink a lot of time into. Actually using the ALP here has given me some more motivation (thanks guys!) and still looking for that forever home guild (my current may even be it, I just  need to post more and get to know the people)

Lots of things have frustrated me over the years, including glitchy games or games that don't work at all, the ridiculous filters, and being frozen for over a year when my account was hacked. But right now it would have to be the Wraith Resurgence plot that is sooo glitched. I would like to know why when we submit say, a User Lookup for the Spotlight competition, it has to work in all browsers before they'll even consider it, but their plot pages don't have to. How exactly is that right?

• 4 weeks later...

There's a ton of things I can't stand about Neopets, especially since JS took over. I can't believe how long it's taking them to fix certain things still. It definitely was better back in the day, but I always do return to playing it haha. My main was lost a bit over a year ago and that had to be one of the most frustrating things ever to lose. Getting back all my avatars and NP is keeping me motivated, but it's super hard seeing the retired stuff I lost sometimes. 

Also Habitarium. Why? :sad02: I loved mine and will never understand why it was taken away along with other features.

The Captchas get me every time! Even on my own userlookup. o_O I don't get why it's needed so often because I almost avoid looking at people's profiles if I can help it because I'm too lazy to keep entering them. 

I hate the broken avatars as well since I've been on an avatar hunting spree lately. Especially broken easy clickables :crying_anim:

7 hours ago, BlushedRose said:

The Captchas get me every time! Even on my own userlookup. o_O I don't get why it's needed so often because I almost avoid looking at people's profiles if I can help it because I'm too lazy to keep entering them. 

I hate the broken avatars as well since I've been on an avatar hunting spree lately. Especially broken easy clickables :crying_anim:

That's odd, I don't think your own user lookup should ever show any Captchas, and there are a lot less of them now, in general. If you only look at a few profiles, every once in a while, you shouldn't really run into more than one or two. Maybe you've avoided looking at people's profiles for so long you haven't noticed that they got rid of most of the Captchas?

One thing that annoys me these days is the Faerie Mist thing I see in some pages. What if I don't wanna solve the faerie mist thing? Even my toolbar has turned purple!! I had the Valentines Day theme before. And yeah, also the captchas. Why do they put that anyway? So annoying. I just wanna view a userlookup for I can find a guild!

On 2/14/2018 at 4:04 AM, Nielo said:

That's odd, I don't think your own user lookup should ever show any Captchas, and there are a lot less of them now, in general. If you only look at a few profiles, every once in a while, you shouldn't really run into more than one or two. Maybe you've avoided looking at people's profiles for so long you haven't noticed that they got rid of most of the Captchas?

I just went to test it out. Clicking on my profile from the actual toolbar doesn't make me enter captchas, but if I use links going back to my profile (From TDN Forums, Petpage, Pet Description, Etc) it makes me enter the captcha. I'm getting them still every time I try anyone's userlookup. Not sure why I have to enter it so frequently :wacko:

7 minutes ago, BlushedRose said:

but if I use links going back to my profile (From TDN Forums, Petpage, Pet Description, Etc) it makes me enter the captcha

Yeah, I wondered at that when it happened, then realised it's because it's an outside link so Neo basically doesn't know it's you yet, lol.

The captcha goes away if you refresh. It's like it's all "OI, WHO ARE YOU! Oh, wait . . . oops. Sorry, carry on! :blush02:"

:laugh: